• Grumpy old man

Where We You in '62?: American Graffiti's 35th Anniversary Salute

So as mentioned in this thread by Duck44, Petaluma, California is holding a salute to American Graffiti on it's 35th anniversary. This isn't a new event, it has been going on for quite a few years, but this year being special because of the 35th anniversary. The whole event covers three days. Information found here: http://www.americangraffiti.net/index.html

The event was kicked off by a recreation of a scene from the movie, where Curt ties a cable to the rear axle of a police car and when it takes off after the Pharoh's, the axle is ripped clean off. Information can be found here: http://www.standbyforjustice.com/

The next event was the private dinner with the stars on the 15th at Cattleman's at Petaluma.

Then on the 16th, the cars begin to arrive for the Cruise-in and Kickoff Party in Petaluma Plaza, which is what I attended first and what the first pictures will be from

The main even is Saturday the 17th, where they take over Downtown Petaluma for an all out get-together, I'll be there as well and of course be taking pictures and posting them here.

But without further ado, I begin posting the pictures from tonight. I took 87, which is a lot considering the size of the event, there was maybe 90 cars there, if that. I won't be posting all the pictures, but they can be found here as they are uploaded. I'll also a more full report on my blog, linked in my signature.

Let the pictures begin (all pictures are links, if clicked you will be taken to the flickr photo page where you can view it in full resolution)

A 1932 Ford Coupe like the one Milner drove in the movie, except with flames. Milner's car will be at the show Saturday along with other cars from the movie (which I have pictures of too)

I'm really happy with this shot, first time I've attempted such a thing

I'm a firm believer that the 50s and 60s Corvettes are the best 'vettes ever made.

A strange sight at a show for a movie called American Graffiti, a 1952 Jaguar

An old Plymouth is a rare sight, at least for me and here there were 3 all parked near each other,

Had a heck of a time identifying this as either a 1939 or a 1940 as my car bible wasn't clear with their pictures of the coupes from either year.

My favorite thing about Willys coupes is their grilles and the emotion they show.

So I broke out the mini-tripod, got on my knees and aimed, burnt my knee on the 100 degree pavement, and took a shot. It turned out okay, though I needed to be back further

The classic 1964 Ford Mustang convertible. What a beauty. Makes me even more sad my grandpa sold his '66

It was like this one... except it was white... and not a convertible... and in really bad shape... and not a Shelby.... and barely ran. Okay the only thing similar is the year.

This Caddy got the red carpet treatment, and it deserved it.

That's all for my first batch. I'll be uploading more later and tagging. Will probably be up sometime tomorrow because of the MC downtime. I'll upload some while MC is down though, so if you're dying to see the pictures, keeping checking my Flickr.

Stand by for justice! Or I guess just part 2.

• Banned User

Re: Where We You in '62?: American Graffiti's 35th Anniversary Salute

my father restored cars when i grew up. I had a beautiful 55 chev belair.....

just like this.....same color, same baby moon, exactly like this car... I sold it for 500.00 when i was 22 because I wanted a newer car.... I could kick my self still!!
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/...ecf5af.jpg?v=0

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    my father restored cars when i grew up. I had a beautiful 55 chev belair.....

just like this.....same color, same baby moon, exactly like this car... I sold it for 500.00 when i was 22 because I wanted a newer car.... I could kick my self still!!
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/...ecf5af.jpg?v=0
    I've seen quite a few 55 Bel Airs, beautiful cars. I think nearly everyone who was a teenager or young adult in the 40s-60s have the same memory of selling their car not knowing it would someday become a classic.

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the pictures B.T, the cars look beautiful!

Hopefully we will see these cars in Modesto in June at GraffitiFest.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 05-17-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I was 'nowhere' in '62 - however, 35 years ago, I was almost 2 years old....

• Lackey

Great TR of that event. Great shots of some very nice cars.
    I was actually around that year. My dad had a nice Pontiac LeMans - white w/ red interior. I still remember laying across the back seat and on the floor, since seat belts were more on the optional side back then (scary to think about now).

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Grumpy old man

To answer my own thread's question, I was also nowhere in '62, my father was only four years old at the time. I still love the cars and movie though, and feel everyone should watch the movie at least and attend at least one classic car show in their life.

Today was the actual even, but my report on that shall wait while I finish up with the stuff from the Cruise-In.

All my pictures from that event are now uploaded and can be found here. Any car buffs are free to comment there or here on any labeling errors. I also love comments and faves on my flickr page, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

But without further delay, the cruise continues.

The blue on this '34 was beautiful.

Corvettes and Thunderbirds were some of the more plentiful cars, besides your normal classic car fare ('30s Fords and Tri-Chevys)

Somewhat of a rarity, a 1955 Chevrolet Handyman, Chevy's two-door workhorse wagon, much less fancy then it's sportier Nomad cousin

I once said the 1969 Charger R/T was the only muscle car I liked. I'll change that slightly to say I also dig the 1969 Coronet Super Bee. Dodge muscle cars in general are great.

A cool little mock up of a Super Bee

This '34 was almost completely stock I believe

A black and white closeup of that '34. This was my attempt to retry one of my other favorite pictures,of another car. I like the shot.

A 1933 Convertible. I like this color.

The classic hot rod, a Ford T-Bucket

The 707 Band were providing the tunes for the night along with the Karaoke booth across the parking lot. The band was pretty good, though they seemed a bit uncomfortable with the '50s style music. Wouldn't mind seeing them again though.

And that's the end of Part II. Part III shall bring the movie cars and the end of the Cruise-in photos.

• Senior Minion

Just wanted to pop in too announce that the event for Graffiti-fest is June 6-8 at Modesto Junior College.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I read some bit of trivia the other day that asserted that American Graffitti had the best return on investment in American film history. It hauled in over $115 million, on a production budget of just over three-quarters of a million dollars.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    Just wanted to pop in too announce that the event for Graffiti-fest is June 6-8 at Modesto Junior College.
    Modesto is a bit of a drive for me, it'd be interesting to go to that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I read some bit of trivia the other day that asserted that American Graffitti had the best return on investment in American film history. It hauled in over $115 million, on a production budget of just over three-quarters of a million dollars.
    I've read a similar thing about how much it's grossed overall, pretty amazing. Add to that it was only filmed in less than a month (28 nights).

And now onto Part III, the movie cars and the finale of the Cruise-In

"Stand by for justice!" The police car from the pictures I linked earlier. This is not the one they ripped the axle off of, they had a second replica that was just a stunt double for this beauty

This is the infamous Vespa from the beginning scene where Toad drives up a curb and crashes. Interesting trivia, the crash was not planned, Charles Martin Smith (the actor) didn't know how to drive the thing and was trying to do a cool stop on the curb and flubbed up, hilarity ensued

"Whadaya doin' creep?", the Pharaoh's 1951 Mercury, where Curt had been sitting on while watching the TVs in the store, he is confronted by Joe (played by Bo Hopkins, who was at the show signing autographs)

"Is that you in that beautiful car? Geez, what a waste of machinery", the 1958 Impala owned by Steve (Ron Howard) and driven by Toad for most of the movie. This was not a recreation, it was the original car in the original condition.

The white T-Bird driven by Suzanne Somers who Curt was determined to meet throughout the movie.

That was it for the movie cars. Milner's '32 Ford was originally planned but never made it, though Paul Le Mat was there signing autographs, as well as Candy Clark (Debbie) and Lynne Marie Stewart (Bobbie). There was rumors the '55 Chevy driven by Harrison Ford would be there as well, but wasn't.

This car is similar if not identical to Ford's '55, however.

This was the only rusty car and it was a really cool piece of work, I hope the owners keep it like this even though it is starting to rot away.

Something different, a '66 Mercury Comet Cyclone

This paintjob was beautiful in person, the black and green shined wonderfully.

Pretty much stock 1928 Ford Model A

A license plate that probably echoes the thoughts of many Mustang and other classic car owners.

A great flame job ('33 Ford)

And here is

THE END

of Part III and the report from the Cruise-In. I'll probably continue with a Part IV with an abbreviated report from Saturday's full salute.

All pictures from the Cruise-In can be found here

• Banned User

In 1962, I was 1 year old! When the movie came out, I was 12 and remember it very well.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    Modesto is a bit of a drive for me, it'd be interesting to go to that one too.
    Should be over 300 cars. It gets bigger every year. But I don't blame you with the gas prices.