• Minion

Phoenix Lands On Mars !!

I realize this is a bit off topic but I felt it was worth posting.

As we are all enjoying our Memorial Day Weekend something special is happening on the planet Mars. A spacecraft called Phoenix has landed on the planet Mars, on a mission to explore the region around the north pole of that planet.

Even though the space program has been a reality for my entire life, these kind of events still amaze me. Imagine, we have launched a craft from Earth, sent it over tens of millions of miles and actually landed on another planet !

Considering that more that half of the missions to Mars end in failure, this is quite an accomplishment and in an era of seemingly endless bad news is something for us all to celebrate.

We are scheduled to get our first live (or semi-live) images from Mars in about 90 minutes or around 6:30pm Pacific time. I am sure CNN et al will carry the event.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Re: Phoenix Lands On Mars !!

I just learned of this not even two hours ago. (Certainly have heard of the mission, but haven't kept up on space-exploration things very well as of late and simply forgot about it.)

Discovery Science has a show on, although as far as event coverage is concerned, it seems more interested in showing shots of the controm room at JPL than actual live information (computer displays, etc). I'm guessing this will get little more than passing mention on the news channels, unfortunately.

• Minion

Well right now they are probably showing a live shot from NASA TV and there is nothing for them to show as we are waiting for the craft to do its thing and prepare to send live shots.

CNN, Fox, MSNBC all carried landing live
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Minion

• This $pace for $ale

All I can say is GO WILDCATS!!! Sorry...I feel that I need to give a shout out to my alma mater...The University of Arizona.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/awinner

The difference between "involvement" and "commitment" is like a eggs and ham breakfast: The chicken was "involved" - the pig was "commited"!

WOW! That's awesome! I had no idea that this was happening!

What an amazing accomplishment!
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Pictures should be showing up on APOD for the next several days at least. Today's is one.

Here's the NASA page for this mission. An approximate-color picture has now been constructed.

• Still lost in Neverland

The Science Channel covered this for over an hour. It was very exiting to see this landing and hear all the stuff that was going on. The delay in transmission meant that everything we were hearing had happened 15 minutes ago. The entire landing was computer controlled on board, and this was not like the two rovers in that they were encased in rubber, more or less, balls and bounced all over the place before coming to rest. This one actually sped in very, very fast, turned around, fired a parachute, dropped the chute and fired 12 landing rockets and made a perfect, upright landing without any sight or control from earth, right where they wanted it to land. It was launched 10 Years ago!!! This is one amazing feat for NASA and JPL. It's just awesome.

How many here are old enough to remember that Disneyland set up huge TV monitors in Tomorrowland, about where HISTA is located today, and broadcast the live Moon Landing. That was also awesome and to be at Disneyland, in Tomorrowland and actually see the first moon landing was really special. People where cheering, applauding, Crying and hugging all over the place. One very special day at Disneyland to be sure.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Incognito

Blog Entries

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph...HX_Lander.html

Cool picture of Phoenix parachuting down, caught on film from the orbiting Mars Reconnaisance. First time a lander has ever been caught on camera on it's decent.

• Circle of Ancients

All this stuff is so cool.

• For You!

That's great and it's pretty cool - but why? I just feel that they're spending billions of dollars to discover a planet that we will never go to, live on, or use any of it's natural resources.

Sorry, I'm a little pissed off at this country and it's priorities right now.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

^ I can understand why you feel that way. The thought crossed my mind too.

But some of the good that comes out of space travel is that things are discovered that can be used for medical improvements/advancements as well.

Also, there is some a lot of evidence indicating that there may have been water on Mars at one time. I think delving into that more could have some positive ramifications for what we are doing here on earth as far as water conservation goes.

The footage I saw of this event was pretty cool!

• Still lost in Neverland

Who says we will never go there or live there. That is the ultimate plan. There is no reason that at some point our technology will allow us to go there and live there. We are running out of room and space colonization is the only alternative left.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples