Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• For old time sake

Trader Joe's anyone?

My new place is literally aroudn the corner from Target, mervyn's, Long's Drugs and Trader Joe's. For years i have heard people RAVE about TJ's. So I was wondering who all shops there and what you recommend for a first time shopper to check out. What are the must haves???? TJ's is the closest "grocery" store to my house that i knwo of so far, so i'd like some ideas on what to buy and what to stay away from.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Trader Joe's anyone?

TJ's really is as good as people say. Their breads, snacky things, meat and cheeses are definitely worth a trip. The produce can be hit or miss but still worth a look.

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: Trader Joe's anyone?

As someone that worked there for over 10 years, I would suggest you go with what you like. There are a lot of tasty things there. Personally, it's worth going there for there prices. Especially milk, cheese, fresh meats, eggs, and energy bars. Oh and vitamins too. You just have to go and check it out. Lots of the frozen entrees are good as are the fruits and veggies. Lots of great things. But be careful on your first trip...you'll wind up buying lots of stuff and mostly things you didn't go there to get!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• My cuties!

Terra Chips!! I love those!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

TJ's has great frozen foods too. Fresh and delicioso! The likker and wines and beers are great with a faboo selection at prices you can afford!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Victoria and I shop at TJ's often. It's more of a specialty and gourmet store than "regular" grocery store, so I don't think you'll find it quite right for most of your shopping needs, but there are certainly some good bargains to be had. Their selection of wines is very large and well-priced. Their house brand wines are very inexpensive and quite drinkable. Their selection of spirits is limited, but often priced lower than other places' sale prices. I find their meats to be a little pricey but always high quality. Again, limited selection. Lots and lots of cheeses! Their produce is always nice and often cheaper than a "regular" store. The frozen section leans toward specialty items but there are a lot of tempting things. You'll find lots of different and unusual food items that can add some interesting diversity to your meals. They also tend to lean towards "healthy" food items... though you'll also find plenty of sinful foods too!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

They have great frozen items- already prepared stuff to just chuck in the stove or microwave and serve. They tend to be on the healthy side which is a plus. I am a fan of TJ, but I don't do my regualr grocery shopping there, as the selection is not as large and normal as your runof the mill grocery store. But definetly a great shop
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• 'Ohana means family...

Peanut butter filled pretzels.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Any thing from the fresh deli section, salads are yummy! Always take them for our picnic at the Hollywood Bowl.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm a huge fan of TJ's and shop there often. You can't really do all of your shopping there, but I probably buy 80% of my food there...

If you're a coffee drinker, they have great coffee at really good prices. They have a huge selection of breads. The prices and selection of cereals is good too. As Wolfy said, they have great pre-made salads that are yummy. There is also a big selection of dried fruits, nuts, and trail mixes all at good prices. Oh, and they have pretty flowers too

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Are you kidding??? I live on Trader Joe's during the week. There is one just afew blocks from my work and I can eat the entire week for like less than $20.00.

My Favorite things besides everything.
    -Candied Pecans
    -Cookie Joys
    -Pita Chips
    -Baby Spinach Salad
    -Country Italian Salad
    -Classic Greek Salad
    -Blue Corn Chips
    -Mochi
    -Tejava
    -Cheese Enchialdas
    -Tamales

mmmmmmmm Good eatin
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Gay Man

I do 90% of my shopping at TJ's. What do you need? See if they have it and try it.

Really, the only things I don't buy are some cleaning products, Peets Coffee and cat food/litter. Everything else is pretty much available at TJ's.

• Wasn't Me!

Browse!!! You will find a cartload of stuff on your first trip.

Unfortunately, my absolute favorite thing at TJs are the chocholate alomond lacy cookies!! Last time I bought them, I ate the whole container myself!!!

BUt TJs is AWESOME!!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

You will love Trader Joe's! Minus a few items that they don't carry, we do all of our grocery shopping at TJs. The kids love the snacks, the food is better quality than we can get at our local Ralphs/Albertsons/Stater Bros. We end up buying less junk food, which has helped Nathan and I both start losing weight.

I started a thread back in April about Trader Joe's. There are some good recommendations in there, with an especially good list from desertdweller.

The latest treat discovery are the Cinnamon & Sugar Pita Chips. Not quite churros, but pretty darn tasty.
    Last edited by mamabot; 08-18-2005 at 02:58 PM.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Man O Lantern

We do almost ALL of our shopping there now. The only thing now that we don't buy there is milk.

The kids love all the cereals, and we go through about 8 boxes a week.

I love all their sauces, tapenades, spreads, anything in a jar, basically. It's all tasty! I've never bought jar mixes before, but now we love trying different combos.

I'm sure I posted in the other thread. But, seriously, other than a little $15 run to Albertson's here, and there, we do all our shopping there!

Have fun!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast