"Cool Jobs" in Entertainment, without a degree? (stop laughing)

There are plenty of oppurtunities in radio/television for the "student" with the internship programs. I know its kinda lame to be asking here as apposed to doing my own research, but since I am not really a student I would still like to know of any oppurtunities out there for young people in California. To those wondering why Im not in college, Im choosing to work "Full-Time" because I love what I do and the pay/benefits are very good. Im only 20 but im interested in a job that could be more along the lines of a permanent career. Any feedback? thanks.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: "Cool Jobs" in Entertainment, without a degree? (stop laughing)

I wish I could tell you that it would be easy. In the past, when labor laws really didn't matter or mean anything, you could very well have been someone's apprentice without having a degree. But in today's corporate world, it may be difficult... especially if you're trying to get in with a well known company.

Entertainment giants do have internship programs. A quick glance at Disney's job openings always lists several openings for students. But that's the real ticket... you have to be an undergrad. You need to get some sort of school credit.

Perhaps if you found a smaller company that focused more on what you're interested in, you might find better luck that way. But getting an internship while not being a student is next to impossible in today's society.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Ravenclaw

-Hire on with the International Alliance of Theatre and Stage Employees (IATSE) local in your area. My local has a pre-apprentice program where you learn on the job while getting paid. After a certain amount of hours, you're in! Look here: http://www.iatse-intl.org/directory/search.asp

-Find a local production company in your area and sign on with them as a freelance technician.

-Take at least a few basic theatre tech courses at your local community college. It's a great way to build contacts, since your professor will probably know who's hiring.

I work in the entertainment industry and I don't have a diploma from a 4-year university. I took the relevant courses in college and it helped me figure out if sweating it out for 12 hours a day weeks at a time was really what I wanted to be doing. Much of what I know now I learned by just going out there and doing it. Good luck!

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

.............Some more advice would be extremely cool!

• That Guy

Go. to. college.