Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• World Traveler

Exclamation USAirways will charge $2 for sodas and water!

You may have probably heard yesterday's news from USAirways that not only will they match American Airlines' $15.00 fee for the first checked bag, but they will also start charging $2.00 for a soft drink or water on the plane !!!

While I am not happy at all by the nickel and diming from the airlines, it is a business after all and they have the right to charge for things. What bothers me is that while passengers can always bring food, blankets, magazines and everything else from home, we are not allowed to bring our own beverages because of the silly 3 ounce TSA rule. You will either have to buy beverages at the airport after going through security or buy it on board .... which no matter where - you will over pay for your beverage.

The government probably won't do anything about this - just another reason the airline industry deserves to be regulated.

•   
    • Seasick

Re: USAirways will charge $2 for sodas and water!

Will we at least get a full can of soda now, and not those stupid thimble-fulls of ice with a splash of soda on top?

I don't mind air flights being a la carte, at least not on short flights.
    Last edited by BC_DisneyGeek; 06-13-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You can still buy drinks when you get past security and bring it on board.

You can bet sooner, rather than later, that all airlines, or most, will charge for everything. More for aisle and window seats. Drinks. You name it.

• That Guy

What would you do if you ran the airline, and with the rising costs of EVERYTHING, fuel, personnel, aircraft, etc., what gives? Airlines are not non-profits. They have payrolls to make, stock holders to please, etc. What would you do? The increasing prices have to get turned around somewhere. People do not HAVE to buy a soda on the flight. Get a bottle of water in a store, it's only a buck.

• World Traveler

If I bring my own soda or water on board ... with they charge me for ice? Hmmm.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    If I bring my own soda or water on board ... with they charge me for ice? Hmmm.

If they do, then that is a tragedy. I hope you never have to know the pain and turmoil of paying for frozen water. I cannot imagine anything worse happening to a person.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I may not like paying for a drink but I don't think government regulation would all of a sudden make flights less expensive. In fact I think quite the opposite.

Get a bottle of water in a store, it's only a buck.
    Really? This is past the security checkpoint, right? Where everything is stadium priced?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I was thinking, $1 water bottles past security?

Now the only benefit I can see with buying a drink past security is that it will probably be a larger bottle of water/soda/whatever, than what you'd get from the airline (i.e. a can).

USAirways needs to change their name now to Ryanair America

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Get a bottle of water in a store, it's only a buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAL View Post
    Really? This is past the security checkpoint, right? Where everything is stadium priced?
    Exactly. Since any liquid containers larger than 3 oz will be taken away from you. Of course, you could always pour that 16.9 oz bottle of water into 5.6 smaller bottles and carry them on board.

**edited to add**

Although I just remembered a friend of ours flew to Europe a few weeks back and he said they would let you take and EMPTY water bottle through security, then you could fill it after you got past the check point, like from a fountain perhaps. Or maybe on the plane he flew on (no idea who he flew with) they would fill it.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-13-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by PAL View Post

Uhm, yah. To simplify how this works, I will break it down into smaller pieces for you.

1. Get to airport.

2. Clear security.

3. Purchase water.
    • I. Decide you are thirsty
    • II. Break safety seal on water bottle
    • III. Lift bottle to mouth, tilt bottle towards mouth, transfer liquid from bottle to mouth.
    • IV. Begin hydration process, thus sustaining life.

• That Guy

I'm not sure how it works in your airports, but Phx is home to one of the most busy airports in the nation, and we have 'Street level pricing' which means all vendors and merchants must sell items for the same prices you will find outside of the airport. If your airport doesn't do this, you should ask why not? It is best practice, and doesn't encourage gouging of your tourists, travelers, et al.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Geeze, next thing you know, movie theaters will start charging five bucks for a candy bar.

Where is the concern for our the common good these days...

After the airlines, but before baseball, NBA referees and NFL teams, regulate the theaters I say!!!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I'm not sure how it works in your airports, but Phx is home to one of the most busy airports in the nation, and we have 'Street level pricing' which means all vendors and merchants must sell items for the same prices you will find outside of the airport. If your airport doesn't do this, you should ask why not? It is best practice, and doesn't encourage gouging of your tourists, travelers, et al.
    Ah!! Point noted.

I haven't flown since 1996. This summer will be my first time on a plane since then. I have no idea if other airports are like Phoenix in their pricing, I just made an assumption that they had a tendency to charge more because they can. When I fly out of Palm Springs in a few weeks and into Salt Lake I'll see if those airports are the same.

In the mean time, I'm sure we have tons of other MiceChatters who travel frequently by air who can let us know their experiences with pricing at various airports.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Like I said in the other thread about America Airlines, it's no surprise that other airline carriers are doing the same things A.A. did.

These airline carriers have to find ways to adjust their budget so that they can still stay in business while continuing to struggle with high gas prices, a decrease in travelers, and an economic problem that has kept the industry shattered since 9/11.

If these companies want to stay afloat financially, they will probably insert more ridiculous fee's for the customers to pay as time goes on. But that can backfire on them too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast