Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Re: Kids and Chores?

I must say I think DQ gives EXCELLENT advice, especially for someone who isn't even a parent yet!

I like the suggestion of trying to give her some other responsibility that maybe isn't as "chorish". I agree you have to teach her some responsibility, but a war may not be worth it.

I only have a 3 year old, so I don't have these issues yet. I have tried to start already having him help around the house, but so far if I mention the word HELP he is at my feet in seconds. I remember my little brother being the same way at that age and that certainly changed!

So far he has to help me clean his room a few times a week. He has to pick up any toys he leaves in other areas of the house by himself. And he helps me put groceries away! He actually ASKS for chores at this point, he'll ask if he can set the table or help me make dinner. He's so cute.

We'll see how long that lasts.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Waiting for the stork

Oh i have an idea, I did this to both of my kids at about 5 years old each...they both went thru a phase where I could not see the bedroom floor and no amount of nagging, bribing, helping, etc made a difference so I finaly got MAD,

I finally got frustrated, angry and creative...I gave K (I did it to T too but K is a better example)one lst warning...It's time to clean up, You can't even find your toys....I am going to start dinner, I will be back in half an hour, I do not expect you to be done, but I do expect you to have made a dent in it...I want the books put away. (cant get much more specific right...) If it is not at least well underway by the time I come back up here, I am coming in with garbage bags and we are throwing it all away!

well a 1/2 hour later I went upstairs, she was in the exact same spot playing with barbies....she hadn't even started!!!!

so, I went down stairs, got 2 garbage bags, inone bag the reall garbage went (mc'd's toys, paper, broken crayons, that type of junk....In the other bag went the Barbies, dolls, books, etc...the real things...she had no idea I was seperating, I left the room with both bags...The one with toys went into my closet and slowly they would reapear in her room one at a time (she never caught on that I was giving them back.) the other bag was (rather dramaticly) thrown into the trash.....

I made my point, now all I have ot say to either kid...do I need to come in with garbage bags.....you have never seen kids clean so fast!

mean, maybe, but I was desperate...and it worked
    procrastibating

• Man O Lantern

TP...that's how my seven year old was and still is. She's the most helpful child on earth. Sweetest thing, too and the best conscience I've ever come across. So don't fret yet!

My youngest though.....jeez. I can't even imagine asking her to help out. We're all afraid of her. I could see us cleaning her room and throwing down rose petals for her to walk on (of course, sweeping them up immediately after) and getting her drinks and snacks and brushing her hair and painting her nails until she is twenty-five.

Kind of like my own little sister.

My ten year old and I don't "war" yet, she's just missing out on a lot.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    so, I went down stairs, got 2 garbage bags, inone bag the reall garbage went (mc'd's toys, paper, broken crayons, that type of junk....In the other bag went the Barbies, dolls, books, etc...the real things...she had no idea I was seperating, I left the room with both bags...The one with toys went into my closet and slowly they would reapear in her room one at a time (she never caught on that I was giving them back.) the other bag was (rather dramaticly) thrown into the trash.....
    Sadly, I've done that. It made a point.....but the threat of it the next time didn't work. I actually had to do it again. And again. Finally, I stopped threatening, because I believe in following through, so I'd actually have to keep doing it until there was nothing left.

The room cleaning.....that's a different story altogether. I don't even have that on their chore lists.....the younger two share a room, so I don't think it's fair to expect that room to be clean....we get in there and clean it every few days or so. Sometimes I'll have my seven year old to clean it on her own (even if she didn't make the mess), and I'll have the four year old take a nap in my room while we work on it. We get some together time, and she's not yelling at her little sister, frustrated, or upset. It's actually just nice.

My oldest is pretty good at "cleaning" her room every few days when asked. It's not amazingly clean....we save those overhauls before she has someone spend the night or before we have guests. Definitely not worth the headaches for me, and not worth a fight from her. Her room is her room and as long as she's not a jerk about letting her sisters come in, we leave it alone.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

My Wife and I have tried everything( ) to get our 9 year old to do chores..........might as well .

We even promised him one of these if he would just do his chores without fail for 3 months in a row.........so far he has only gone as far as 6 days without the clock being re-set
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

what on God's green earth is that thing?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Waiting for the stork

that is so cute....where did you find it...I want one...

it looks a lot like a lemmor...is it?
    procrastibating

• Banned User

take away the money for not doing chores.. I get paid $20 for yard work.. (It is summer in FLA.. I get minimum wage for doing yard work.. LOL)

If i don't do it i don't get paid... simple as that.... if my dad does it.. I pay Him....

• Man O Lantern

JEFF!!!!!

That got the biggest laugh from me.....WHAT IS THAT THING???

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Ah chores. The more kids I have, the more slaves I have. Er...uh....ahem.

14 y.o. and 11 y.o. girls alternate doing dishes. One loads and unloads, then the other. Handwashing large items and wipe-down included. They also fold their own laundry and put it away. They share taking out garbage and recycle duties as well as poop scooping. 14 feeds the dog and 11 feeds the cats.

The 14..oh, she's Faith ...also babysits when I make her AND I DON'T PAY HER!!! Bwah ha ha! Reason is, I get her pretty much whatever she wants when I can so we both win. She has outside babysitting jobs she gets paid for so she doesn't lack funds.

The 7 y.o. boy puts his clothes away and cleans up his room albeit slooooooowly. He also wipes down the table after dinner and puts away silverware; both occasionally. The almost 4 y.o. does nothing so far but make messes. He does bring laundry baskets downstairs sometimes and is actually quite awesome at sorting clean clothes into piles when I ask him too.

I don't give allowance. I'm not sure why. I do know that I rarely have cash on me, maybe that's why. Maybe it's that living in suburban America is so friggin easy that getting paid for doing something that should be a given is ridiculous to me. At any rate, no one complains.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    JEFF!!!!!

That got the biggest laugh from me.....WHAT IS THAT THING???
    It is a Kinkajou; aka Honey Bear. Acts very similar to a Panda Bear but only about as big as a Kitten. My son, who already has a dog and a cat wanted another pet. He likes snakes and birds but I don't............the Kinkajou is the compromise(if he can ever put 90 days in a row of doing his chores )
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    It is a Kinkajou; aka Honey Bear. Acts very similar to a Panda Bear but only about as big as a Kitten. My son, who already has a dog and a cat wanted another pet. He likes snakes and birds but I don't............the Kinkajou is the compromise(if he can ever put 90 days in a row of doing his chores )
    Gosh, maybe I can threaten my kids with it. I can tell them, "Do your chores, or this scary panda cat thing I know about will come and eat your fingers while you sleep!!!"

I've never heard of that particular animal!!! Weird!!! I'm impressed!

• Waiting for the stork

I want one (Kinkajou )...that is the cutest little thing
    procrastibating

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

My kids ARE a chore

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Where's my dang wand?

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    my mother was a control freak- every week she made an excell spread sheet with our chore assignments and then at the bottom, there were special "paid chores" (clean out the garage, pull weeds, sweep the sidewalk, ect.) that were up for grabs, if you did the chore then you could earn extra money.
    Um, hello, were you talking about me? I have three Excel spreadsheets on the family bulletin board...one for each kid. They have to make their bed and straighten up their room every morning before school and do a small chore after school. They do chores on Saturday, but on Sunday they get a day of rest (a little church thinking there).

They get .75 cents for each chore, and the bedmaking and room cleaning counts. That totals $9.75 a week. We throw the extra .25 in and give 'em $10 bucks a week. If they don't do all their chores, then the .25 is taken away and .75 cents is deducted for every chore missed.

It works on the 10 year old and the 12 year old. The 14 year old enjoys squalor and prefers to mow lawns and wash cars for his cash.

Whatever. I just want them to know how to wash a load of laundry, properly clean a toilet and clear the table after dinner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast