Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • My liver hurts!

Re: I'm back from Portland! A trip report.

Awesome TR!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    I love the flowers!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaPrincess View Post
    I don't know if it's the city of roses, but i do know that the rose is the state flower!
    And i can see why! They are everywhere and apparently grow very well!
    Everyone who has a yard has at least one rose bush!
    Portland is the City of Roses. Every year beginning the first Friday after Memorial Day they have a huge celebration called Rose Festival. It includes an all floral parade that is second in size only to the Pasadena Tournament of Roses parade.

Roses are everywhere. I'm not much of a garden but I had five rosebushes.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Great TR! The pictures from the rose gardens were my favorite!!!

• Man O Lantern

Awww, that's my town!

I love that you came to visit Portland. Not enough people do.

I hope you ate at some great restaurants and enjoyed the weather! My cousin lives two blocks from the front gates of Laurelhurst Park and my sister lives across Burnside from the Rose Garden, so it's fun to see that you were so nearby. I live close to downtown, under the red and white tower.

What else did you do? I love details.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Awww, that's my town!

I love that you came to visit Portland. Not enough people do.

I hope you ate at some great restaurants and enjoyed the weather! My cousin lives two blocks from the front gates of Laurelhurst Park and my sister lives across Burnside from the Rose Garden, so it's fun to see that you were so nearby. I live close to downtown, under the red and white tower.

What else did you do? I love details.
    Wow! That's sooo cool!

I had such a good time! We went to the Baghdad Theater! OMG! AWESOME!
    Why does CA not have that????? A 21+ over movie theater that serves beer and pizza? Can i get an Amen to that!!! lol

We did a lot of shopping, went to Saturday Market downtown and i LOVED that, went to the Ambassador for kareoke, went to Dots for lunch, an Italian restaurant for dinner another night (don't remember the name) and did lots of bar hopping and consumed quite a bit of your beloved Pabst Blue Ribbon (which cracks me up that it's soo popular there)! he he he

My friend just bought a house off of 102nd. He did all the driving so where that is exactly i have no clue!
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Man O Lantern

Yeah, the PBR love is a hipster thing. There's a dive bar I go to for tater tots and $1 PBR pints sometimes. That's fun...occasionally.

Most of us love our microbrews though.

I looove the Baghdad! That's one of my preferred places to see movies. I always wait until movies come out there. And it's actually only 21+ after the 6 p.m. show. I take my kids there a lot.

What I love about Portland is there's so much to do, so many bars, really good restaurants, types of people, places to shop....all within a short drive.

I'm glad you had fun, I really love it here!

• Minion

Very nice pics! I could almost smell those roses! I went to Portland a couple of years ago and had a great time. I missed the Rose Festival by 2 days! My thing was the Chinese Garden. It was so relaxing to drink tea and gaze at the scenery. I'd love to go up there again.
    I want my cake back!

• Huh?

I would probably still be in Portland but the gray days were taking a toll on me. I didn't even mind the rain so much. I just wish that there were fewer overcast days. Portland was great for getting around in. I didn't even own a car until I moved way out on the fringes of Beaverton. Even then I only put a few hundred miles a month on my car. I really miss being able to commute to work on my bicycle.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaPrincess View Post

Saturday Market in downtown Portland
    Gotta love the Saturday Market. Also it's kind of fun to see how many people are blazed in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    Also it's kind of fun to see how many people are blazed in Portland.
    No truer words have ever been spoken!
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Pathetically Obsessed

First - thanks for a great TR - I grew up in suburb of Portland, so that is the old stomping grounds, for sure and I loved seeing pictures there of downtown Portland. Home also to Henry Weinhardt's brewery and McMinnaman's!

Just dropping a bit of local history on you - The Royal Rosarians are a society (think Kiwanis, etc) and they are the folks who run the Portland Rose Festival. Included in the Rose Festival are two big parades. The Rose Parade is the most formal and second largest only to the Pasadena parade as mentioned. The second parade is an evening parade called the Starlight parade. All the local high schools and schools from around the area all audition for and can compete in these parades. As a former high school band director, I was fortunate enough to have a band compete for and win the Starlight parade in the HS band category - Hillsboro High School (Go Sparts!)

One last bit of knowledge to drop on you here is that the Seattle Torchlight parade, which kicks off the summer Seafair festival here in Seattle is based on the Starlight parade. Very fun, especially if you've ever seen the Seafair pirates and love watching the Blue Angles scream by overhead!

Love the Northwest! And if you live in California - you wouldn't like it here or want to move up here. It rains every day!!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Glad you had a great time.........I've lived here all but 5 years of my 41 year long life and have never been to the Mansion...thanks for the pics
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Very nice pictures!

Aw, memories...I was up there to visit my brother years ago, and went to the same places you went. Unfortunately, we went to the rose garden right after they had trimmed them back, so we didn't see anything but the stems . The view from the Pittock Mansion of the city is beautiful. We even went to the same street fair....must be the standard tour package

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12