• Minion

Letters To Disney Stockholders On Credit Fraud

Please forgive the intrusion but as a lawyer I am naturally overly paranoid and thought I'd post about this here.

I assume some of you may have gotten (or might soon get) a letter from BNY Mellon regarding your Disney stock and the fact that someone stole some tapes and may have gotten our SSN's.

I agree with Disney its no big deal but you SHOULD sign up for both the credit monitoring and credit freeze they offer in the letter just to be safe.

The odds are if anything was going to happen it would have already, but since they are making the offer, take advantage of it now.
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• World Traveler

Re: Letters To Disney Stockholders On Credit Fraud

I got the letter too and also signed up for the credit monitoring. I too was skeptical when I first received it thinking it was a fake.

The letter from BNY Mellon is nothing more than a deceptive sales tactic (fear mongering) designed to get you to enroll in a credit monitoring service provided by ConsumerInfo.com.

ConsumerInfo.com is owned by Experian and they were busted back in 2005 by the FTC for using deceptive sales practices.

Once you contact them and enroll, they sell your name on a “sucker list” to other vendors. You’ll be getting phone calls, letters and emails from all types of unwanted solicitors.

At the end of your “free” two year credit monitoring, you’ll find it impossible to opt out of their “service”. They’ll bill you forever.

In short, it’s a scam!

• Minion

No, it is not a scam

When you enroll they do not require any credit card info of any kind, so they have no way of billing you.

There WAS a theft of information.

http://www.chaos365.com/2008/05/26/b...tomer-records/
    http://bulletin.aarp.org/states/ct/a...rotection.html
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 06-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family