Happy Birthday to the great U.S. of A.
Happy 4th of July everyone!!!
Mine is super great so far. I hope yours is also. No better place to live than the United States of America.
Been baking cookies all day for our 4th of July picnic tonight. God Bless America.
...and bless me, so I don't sprain an ankle this year.
One of the Greatest Independence Day Speeches Ever Made (one to keep in mind this day and every 4th of July)
WHAT TO A SLAVE IS THE 4th OF JULY?
by Frederick Douglass
July 5, 1852
THE SETUP: some nice white liberal folks (The Rochester Ladies' Anti-Slavery Society, of Rochester, N.Y) decided to invite Frederick Douglass, the escaped slave/abolitionist to speak at their Fourth of July celebration. He proceeds to politely, but efficiently tear into their behinds. I'm sure there were looks of sadness and disdain. It starts off with:
- Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?
- I do not hesitate to declare with all my soul that the character and conduct of this nation never looked blacker to me than on this Fourth of July! Whether we turn to the declarations of the past or to the professions of the present, the conduct of the nation seems equally hideous and revolting. America is false to the past, false to the present, and solemnly binds herself to be false to the future.
- What, to the American slave, is your Fourth of July? I answer: a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy - a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages.
- There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States at this very hour.
- Go where you may, search where you will, roam through all the monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South America, search out every abuse, and when you have found the last, lay your facts by the side of the everyday practices of this nation, and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival.
(A PORTION OF THE SPEECH)
(THE FULL SPEECH)
Happy Birthday to one of the greatest countries of the world.
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Wishing you all a safe and fun 4th!
Happy Birthday USA!
You don't look a day over 185...
Happy 4th of July to all of the MiceChatters. :)