Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Addicted to MC since '08

Journey to the center of the earth Movie Review...

This is my own review for the new 3-D movie, Journey to the Center of the Earth. Again, this is my own review, and just like Wall-E, there are many viewpoints on the film. Some Good, Some Bad. If what I think doesn't agree with you, keep in mind this is only my review.

The Goods:
    1. This movie has an appealing storyline to me, and it really wants you to know what happens next.

2. Most of the 3-D is stunning. Majority of the 3-D effects were very creative. I am not going to say any spoilers, so see the movie if you want to know what I am talking about.

3. The movie's creature animations were blended well into the live-action footage.

4. Most people don't like to be scared or shocked from sudden bursts or loud noises, etc. I personally love that and this movie has quite a few of those moments.

5. This movie was clean. A lot of movies today rated PG still have crude language or some sexual reference. This movie was clean, and it is a great movie to see as a family.

The Bads:

1. Many parts of the movie aren't realilistic at all. Here is an example: (SPOILER) One of the characters gets cell-phone reception in the core of the Earth, hundreds of miles below the surface.

2. As some of the 3-D acts were good, some were very bad. A few of the effect's didn't seem to be immersive, it just felt like I was watching a film with three more inches of depth. See the movie if you wnat to know what I am talking about.

Final Verdict:
    B. Clearly more goods than bads. This film is very easy to follow, combining live actors with CGI. It's 3-D is good for the most part, but not worth it without the 3-D. It is sure to be a hit with kids, but may not pack a huge punch for parents. Overall a good movie.

Remember, this is my opinion so don't freak out if you don't agree with me a little or a lot. This is my review and my thoughts.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: JTTCOTE Movie Review...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    1. Many parts of the movie aren't realilistic at all. Here is an example: (SPOILER) One of the characters gets cell-phone reception in the core of the Earth, hundreds of miles below the surface.
    Why do I imagine a horrible AT&T commerical..."More bars in more places, like... The Center of the Earth."

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about seeing it for the 3D gimmick alone, and it sounds like that aspect delivers.
    -Monorail Man

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Why do I imagine a horrible AT&T commerical..."More bars in more places, like... The Center of the Earth."

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about seeing it for the 3D gimmick alone, and it sounds like that aspect delivers.
    Overall, I'd give the 3-D effects a B+ or A-.

• Minion

If your going to watch this film you have to see it in 3D. I can't imagine this one having a long and healthly life on DVD (unless Digital 3D technology comes home).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thanks for the review! I'm still not sure whether I'll go see it or not...how was Brendan Fraser's overall performance?

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Thanks for the review! I'm still not sure whether I'll go see it or not...how was Brendan Fraser's overall performance?
    In my opinion, his part as well as Josh Hutcheson's part were performed very well. A.

• Fortuosity!

Re: Journey to the center of the earth Movie Review...

How does it compare to the version with Pat Boone and James Mason (just out of curiosity for anyone who has seen both)?
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

im still not completly sold on the whole 3-d movie thing, was this already a fad in the 80's?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    How does it compare to the version with Pat Boone and James Mason (just out of curiosity for anyone who has seen both)?
    Not sure, I've never seen that version.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post

I have seen both, and the James Mason is better, believe it or not.

This is a made-for-kids movie that kinda reminded me what Saturday nights at the drive-in were for. There's no depth; there's no umph. There is, however, fun. It would, by far, make a better replacement for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

It's all about the 3-D, frankly.

There are a bunch of 'whoopsies' as well. There's power underground at one segment; a mine car track is laid out in three parallel lines...um, why? Oh, so a chase scene can happen there! The same chase scene we've experienced in Big Thunder AND Indy Jones and the Temple of Doom.

And people fall for miles...yes, miles...yet don't get hurt.

Why did I go? I'm a teacher and I loved the book. And frankly, I love movies I can take kids to. There's no swearing here, folks; and, believe it or not, it does more-or-less follow the complicated novel. Violence is nominal and really, and this is the truth...

...it's fun. It's a plain ole fun movie. There was a group of seven 10 year old seated to my left and not one uttered a peep during this movie. That's an hour and half of sitting still. That should tell you something.

I'd give it a low-grade B-.

I'll buy it for my students and then we can read teh book together and then watch.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• and too all a good fright

Are the 3-D glasses used to view the movie red/blue glasses or amber glasses?

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Haven't seen the movie, but from what I know, they are the amber-colored "Real D" glasses. They're pretty nice, as far as I'm concerned. Quick question to anyone that has some and kept them: Can you use them in a Disney park as your own personal 3D glasses? I'm not one to freak out about sanitation, but I like those glasses a lot more than the park glasses. They fit my face better.

Yes, they are the same as the park glasses. My brother kept a pair of TSMM's glasses for "evaluation" and they match up fine. I watched a 3-D video on YouTube with the TSMM then the JTTCOTE glasses and the result wsa the same. The Real-D glasses are very comfortable.

• DCA FTW!

I agree with your review completely DisneyPro. It was fun while it lasted. I saw the movie in 3d at the new Garden Walk next to DLR, they used Dolby 3d which had larger than usual glasses with curved lenses that I couldn't keep but the 3d was very well done and those new theaters are very very comfy and nice. (and offering free imax movies too till Thursday!)
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Up to now, I've loved the effects of 3D with www.realD.com ... which is as we all know what Disney 3D is ... but I did TRY to go see Journey using the new http://www.dolby.com/professional/mo...ons_d3ddc.html and I'm afraid my experience has been a disapointment ... I only lasted 5 mins and I had to leave ... it may have been the Moviplex I went to ... anyway, having said that I will try again this weekend at a Theatre that show it in RealD ... we'll see ... and hopefully we'll get to own one of these soon .. http://www.research.philips.com/tech...ov_3ddisp.html

laterdays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast