Article from The Standard - 8/25/05

'Satisfied' response to Disney fireworks dispute

Despite ongoing controversy surrounding Hong Kong Disneyland's planned nightly fireworks displays beginning when the theme park opens in September, Chief Executive Donald Tsang said Wednesday Disney has complied with Hong Kong's regulations and he is ``satisfied'' with the recent tests.

Disney has been criticized by residents of Discovery Bay and Peng Chau island over noise and smoke from the theme park's fireworks tests which were held both in May and earlier this month.

In California, Disneyland has switched to alternative, low-polluting air-launch technology, which uses compressed air to launch pyrotechnics instead of gunpowder, in combination with low-gunpowder fireworks.

The approach reduces noise and air pollution levels from fireworks by up to 60 percent and is used under an agreement with pollution-control authorities.

When asked whether he was aware of the new technology and Disney's reluctance to use it in Hong Kong, Tsang said: ``We have already done what we can in the sense that the technology being used, as I understand it, would comply with the Hong Kong legislation or the environmental rules that we have established for protecting the environment of Hong Kong.

``They have complied with it and they have passed the test and I am satisfied with those tests.''
Full story here: 'Satisfied' response to Disney fireworks dispute