Upcoming Disney movie getting reworked

Interesting article about trying to get The Princess and the Frog 'right'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...cs-869725.html

Mods: I seem to always manage to put new threads in the wrong place, if this is the case, please move this, thanks.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Upcoming Disney movie getting reworked

Interesting article, but I'm not buying it. Especially when the writer can't spell Spoiled.

Also, the article starts off with this:

When Disney announced it was casting its first black princess for its latest animation film, the African-American heroine was hailed as a positive role model for little girls and an ambitious marketing ploy, not to mention an attempt to ward off the allegations of racism that have lurked since the heyday of Walt Disney Productions in the 1940s and 1950s.
    I've never heard that it was an attempt to ward off allegations of racism. Puhleese.

Oh, and it's in the right section.

• Senior Minion

The Independant newspaper is far from a tabloid. However that doesn't mean that this is true.

The point about Aladdin is indeed correct though and theose were the original lyrics (although the reporter fails to point out that they were changed - something that would have made a good point for the story).

Knee-jerk reactions from Disney are not new. The failure of The Road to Eldorado meant that The Emperor's New Groove was completely re-tooled (City of the Sun was it originally titled?). Although this happened under a different regime and I would like to think that they have grown up and moved on from such stupid reactions. We shall see....
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    City of the Sun was it originally titled?
    Kingdom of the Sun... close.

One of my teachers actually sold the concept for Children of the Sun to Michael Eisner.. through an animation competed on sticky notes. No joke (shows you where Eisner's mind was). According to people I know that worked on the project, it wasn't due to the Road to Eldorado. There were actually two proposals going for Kingdom of the Sun at the same time after Disney executives got spooked with the success of Cats Don't Dance. The one headed by Mark Dindal got the go ahead and was what finished as The Emperor's New Groove.

Nothing in this article is really new news though. I'm not sure about the name Maddy changing to Tiana though. I have a friend working on the film and she told me as long as she can remember Tiana's name was Tiana. (And she's pretty much just an African American Belle- I'm guessing in terms of character design, but perhaps personality). She also told me that she doesn't see the film turning into anything special. In fact, she compared it too All Dogs go to Heaven and said it feels like the film is Disney trying to imitate itself.
    And as of a few months ago, Andreas Deja told us there were many issues with the story and it was supposedly not really complete even though animation production had begun... but that's not uncommon I guess and he said he had faith in the film.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post

In fact, she compared it too All Dogs go to Heaven
    Uh oh! Now I'm scared!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

I have heard about the changes to the title and character name a long time ago. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that it is okay to have a white person as as maid (Cinderella), but not a black person? IMO, saying a black person can't be a maid is extremely racist to black people. Sure, a maid isn't a great job to aspire for, but to say one race can't do a certain job is definately racism.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I have heard about the changes to the title and character name a long time ago. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that it is okay to have a white person as as maid (Cinderella), but not a black person? IMO, saying a black person can't be a maid is extremely racist to black people. Sure, a maid isn't a great job to aspire for, but to say one race can't do a certain job is definately racism.
    That's true. But when you look at it from that viewpoint you can't really win. It is being racist to avoid being racist. But it still has to be like that in this day. I think the future will eventually allow us to move away from this, but not until racism is gone. I think if you live in California or a lot of places on the west coast its easy to think that trying not to be racist is often an overreaction, but if you go to the South its like a whole different planet. And even when I was at work today a woman I was helping cursed at the credit card company over the telephone because, according to her "People that can't speak English need to get the f--- out of here!"

Hopefully there will be a day when Disney can make a film without having to point out the film's character is African American too.