Page 103 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3537893100101102103104105106113128 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2022

• Infinitized!

Re: The "What Movie did you just see" thread STRIKES BACK

I watched some more Bond, James Bond movies:
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

OHMSS is a good Bond movie, even thought it was the only one with George Lazenby. However, it has the worst line of the whole series: "This never happened to the other fellow" but it also has one of the best, when one of Bloefeld's henchmen falls into the snowblower and spews out red snow, Bond looks back and says "He's got guts!" OHMSS also has the best Bloefeld in the series: Telly Savalas. It's too bad Sean didn't do this one and given the content, would've been perfect for his portrayal of Bond.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Frost/Nixon. Appreciated the acting and the history of it, but it was a dry movie.

• secure all cargo

posted by Sirclinksalot regarding Star Wars
    Yeah, but we were kids when we first saw it, so it's got that nostaligia thing going for it.
    There's no denying nostalgia impacts ones opinions, but of course its subjective nature makes it impossible to measure with any with any certainty how much nostalgia overrides retrospect.

Conversely, an example of something I have a lot of nostalgia for but don't find that appealing now is E.T. I saw it three times in the theater and watched it often on cable. No one denies it is a classic American film, and I still love it as part of my pre-teen childhood. You can't be a kid from the early 80's and not speak fondly of E.T. As an adult however, the film itself doesn't seem to hold the same interest for me.
    I know of quite a few adults who never watched Star Wars as kids, did as adults and didn't care for it.
    This reminds me of the time I watched The Maltese Falcon. Classic film right? You know what? I was bored. In my opinion, it's dated. There is no suspense, the characters aren't terribly interesting, and everything feels kinda pointless. But my opinion doesn't diminish its impact, because as viewed in it's historical context, it's NOT dated. It was like nothing anyone had seen up to then.

Of course my point being that an adult watching Star Wars for the first time years later isn't necessarily going to be terribly impressed the same way I wasn't with Falcon. So many other sci-fi films, both original and rip-offs, have since furthered the genre. It's bound to be boring to some. As much as Star Wars was ahead of it's time, it is still a product of it's time. Lucas tried (and failed) to update it, but he'll never get past the 70's hairstyles and manner of articulating the dialogue or the now basic spaceship battles. But certainly none of that diminishes what it was. I suppose it's unfair for me to presume anything about Sirclinksalot's friends, but an adult seeing Star Wars for the first time now and finding it boring strikes me different from an adult seeing Star Wars for the first time in 1977 and finding it boring.

• we jumped out a window

X3 The Last Stand

I had forgotten just how mediocre this film is!

• Disneyland PAP

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - I'm not sure what it is exactly, but Blu-ray's crispness seems to have clarified the images of both The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country in a way that diminishes my enjoyment of them now. They kinda look more like they were shot on a set, which obviously they were, but more so now on BD for me. Besides that, I guess I'm less forgiving as I get older. But the script didn't hold up as well for me as it did when I was a faithful Trekkie. The Shakespeare references "…in the original Klingon…" - pah-leeze! Marta and the escape, so predictable. (A forefather of) Worf begging for mercy from the court - ouch! All that paper, from the Klingon books the Bridge crew looked through to interpret the Klingon language to the Enterprise blueprint Scotty was marking up in the dining room - I appreciate director Meyer's love for the printed word, but it's the 23rd frickin' century, it's all on harddrives, lol! Perhaps they were aiming for an easy-to-follow story for broader audience appeal. Sulu rocked as a starship captain, tho', and the "sign off" at the end was very gratifying. And it was still better than The Final Frontier, so this film does end their voyages on a higher, more graceful note. (Man, I'm ranting a lot, aren't I? )

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    X3 The Last Stand

I had forgotten just how mediocre this film is!
    This film is the reason why I've held off so long on picking up the X-Men Trilogy Blu-ray set. I'd like to pick it up eventually, but only when I find it at a sale price that justifies in my mind that I'm getting the 3-pack as two movies and this one for free!

• Infinitized!

Watched some more 007:
    Diamonds are Forever
    Live and Let Die

I think Diamonds is Connery's weakest/silliest Bond. It does have some good action sequences, like the car chase down Freemont street in Vegas. As for Live and Let Die, what can I say: one of the best Bond theme songs.

Just heading out to the theater to see Up! now finally. Yay! Will report back when I get home.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Fighting-I want my $2 bucks back

I Love You Man-Hiliarious! Really liked it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Just heading out to the theater to see Up! now finally. Yay! Will report back when I get home.
    I just got back from seeing Up! It was great! Loved it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

THE HANGOVER - great! hilarious! shocking! i recommend!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Rented He's Just Not That Into You. It was okay. A little on the bland side. Plus I think having too many stars in one film can actually hurt it. I found myself remembering Jennifer Aniston and Bradley Cooper's name than their characters. Not saying it was bad though. Just don't expect alot of comedy.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Goofy

Land of the lost: that was too weird and it wasn't even funny at all. during the movie my mind was kinda wondering what kinda of movie is this. thumps down. worst movie of the year in my opinion. I like farrell though.

Up: Good movie and really fun to watch. it was well done.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

Gran Torino-This is a great movie! Clint Eastwood was amazing as usual, and I think it had a really good story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

• Disneyland PAP

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves - Maybe it's the ten extra minutes they added to this extended cut, but this film didn't age as well as I remembered seeing it in theatres. It did seem kinda slow, except for the final rescue. But to be honest, I picked it up more for "Severus Snape" himself Alan Rickman than anything else, and man does he have some great stuff in here that I forgot all about. "You! 10:30. You! 10:45. (an extra beat) And bring a friend." lol! Just for him I'd give the movie an A. But to add everything else to it, it's still a B.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I drank a ton of wine and very much enjoyed ROLE MODELS again. Hilarious.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html