• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Inspirational College Professor and Former Imagineer Randy Pausch Dies at 47

Randy Pausch, the computer science professor whose "Last Lecture" at Carnegie Mellon University became a YouTube sensation, died today from pancreatic cancer. He was 47.

From MSNBC/AP:

Pausch died early Friday at his home in Virginia, said Anne Watzman, a spokeswoman for Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh where he worked. Pausch and his family moved there last fall to be closer to his wife's relatives.

Pausch was diagnosed with incurable pancreatic cancer in September 2006. His popular last lecture in September 2007 garnered international attention and was viewed by millions on the Internet.
    The speech last fall was part of a series Carnegie Mellon called "The Last Lecture," where professors were asked to think about what matters to them most and give a hypothetical final talk. The name of the lecture series was changed to "Journeys" before Pausch spoke, something he joked about in his lecture.

"I thought, damn, I finally nailed the venue and they renamed it," he said.

He told the packed auditorium he fulfilled almost all his childhood dreams — being in zero gravity, writing an article in the World Book Encyclopedia and working with the Walt Disney Co.
    Full Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25848017

The Last Lecture:

• Drunk On Disney

Re: Inspirational College Professor and Former Imagineer Randy Pausch Dies at 47

So sad to hear this. What a terrible cancer. He lived far longer than the average person diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Generally people die in a matter of months after diagnosis.
    He seemed to live his short life very well.. I hope his story will result in more donations to pancreatic cancer research.

Pancreatic cancer has killed Luciano Pavarotti, Jack Benny, Donna Reed, Michael Landon, Ron O'Neal, Dizzy Gilespie and most of Jimmy Carter's family.

This is also the type of cancer that Patrick Swayze and Steve Jobs have.

Pancreatic Cancer: the statistics

Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer death in the United States.

In 2008, an estimated 37,680 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and 34,290 will die from the disease.

Men are 20% more likely to get pancreatic cancer than women and the majority of cases occur in people over the age of 65. The incidence rate among African-Americans is 40 to 50% higher than other ethnic groups.

Pancreatic cancer research constitutes less than 2% of the National Cancer Institute’s federal research funding—a figure far too low given the severity of the disease.

From a scientific research perspective, pancreatic cancer is where breast cancer was in the 1930s. Advancing pancreatic cancer research into the 21st century is dependent upon the increase of basic scientific research.

source:
    http://pancan.org/About/pancreaticCancerStats.html

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Re: Inspirational College Professor and Former Imagineer Randy Pausch Dies at 47

The announcement of his death was reported at the American Cancer Society Relay For Life Seal Beach/Los Alamitos this morning. Very sad.

So very sad. His love of life & Disney was (and will remain) so inspirational.
    Trips ~ 1989, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2008 and taking another one in 2010!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible. ~ Walt Disney

• Still lost in Neverland

This is very sad and at the same time very inspiring. I am watching and listening to the You Tube video. I wish everyone on Mice Chat would watch this and see what one man can accomplish in such a short life time. Amazing life and he has left behind an amazing legacy.

In watching this lecture I just realized I have been following his advice and didn't even know it. I just turned 66 a week ago and I still have "Childhood Wonder". And I continue to have "fun" every day.

I think this is the first time I have ever listened and watched a lecture all the way through. I was crying at the end knowing this wonderful human being is gone. But through films like this, and his legacy, he will never truly be gone. Thanks to my sister for linking me to this or I would probably never have known about him.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Awww, so sad. His lecture is really inspirational and I will never forget it. What I appreciate most about his life is that he took something devastating and turned it into something else entirely. It is indeed a loss, but I'm also gratefull for what he was able to achieve because of it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

This is such sad news. My pastor got me The Last Lecture as a graduation gift. I cried while reading it, but it was a work of genius. He will be missed.

On Tuesday night on ABC there will be a Diane Sawyer special on his life and The Last Lecture. I plan to watch it. I think it's 9pm but you better check the listing for the time in your area.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• World Traveler

I saw the ABC Primetime news show on this. What a wonderful man! It's so sad he's gone.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sad news.

Were there any projects he was significantly involved in with Imagineering?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Nill

While he was in imagineering he worked on some Aladdin project, although I'm not sure what exactly for.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    While he was in imagineering he worked on some Aladdin project, although I'm not sure what exactly for.

virtual reality I think was his speciality.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The ABC show with Diane Sawyer was on at 10pm tonight. I hope everyone got to see it as it was amazing. A Celebration of Life and it was almost all new stuff with some of the Last Lecture interspersed for information and inspiration. Diane Sawyer said he changed almost everyone's outlook on life for her and most everyone at ABC. I feel so different myself. I am so going to try to have a different outlook at things and just enjoy the time I have left.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Is it summer yet???

Has anyone read his book? I didn't realize that he made a book until I saw the TV show last night! What an amazing man and family. His wife is awesome, too! I loved the part where Dianne asked them if they had told the children (ages around 2, 4 and 6). She said, "No and we aren't going to". Then she explained that it wouldn't make any sense to them at that particular point because "Daddy didn't look sick". She said that when it got to the point where he was in bed and actually sick "looking", then they'd tell the kids because it would be believable.

I absolutely LOVED the part where he played football! I don't think I've ever seen someone so genuinely thrilled before. One of my husband's bosses was recently diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. It's only been a few months but it's taking a toll on him very quickly. I saw him last week and almost broke down crying. It's a horrible, horrible disease.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!