Thread: Death Race

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Death Race

Ok yet another remake that doesn't come close, I mean where's President Frankenstein and the point system?

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Minion

Re: Death Race

The original is one of the great classic B-movies. It's a brilliant satire. This new version looks to be dumbed down for the MTV generation. There isn't even a glimpse of the original's humor or satire in the trailer for the remake.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I have seen the trailers for BOTH movies Death Race and Death Race 2000. Is there anything (interview, press release, etc.) that says this is explicitly a remake? Because I just don't buy the similar titles as a surefire sign of REMAKE, especially because the plots look quite different enough for this not to be a mere remake or reimagining. If you ask me, it looks like a toned down version of Twisted Metal as far as its plot goes. Actually, it basically is a more realistic version of Twisted Metal. Another thing it reminds me of is The Condemned.

Before I jump on the "OH IT SUCKS" bandwagon, I at least want to know definitively whether or not this is a remake because if it's not, I don't get all the complaining about it honestly. It doesn't look like it's trying to be anything like the original except for the fairly vague "kind of like cannonball run with homicide" premise. I mean, the only connect is convicts (I think...are they death row inmates in DR2000?)+cars+killing while driving. That's not enough for me to buy an automatic connection. The race also doesn't appear to be "cross country" as far as I can tell.

• Senior Minion

It is an official remake. I suspect that the points system has been removed due to us living in the PC-crazy 21st century. Hollywwod does not have the strength of its own convictions.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    I have seen the trailers for BOTH movies Death Race and Death Race 2000. Is there anything (interview, press release, etc.) that says this is explicitly a remake? Because I just don't buy the similar titles as a surefire sign of REMAKE, especially because the plots look quite different enough for this not to be a mere remake or reimagining. If you ask me, it looks like a toned down version of Twisted Metal as far as its plot goes. Actually, it basically is a more realistic version of Twisted Metal. Another thing it reminds me of is The Condemned.

Before I jump on the "OH IT SUCKS" bandwagon, I at least want to know definitively whether or not this is a remake because if it's not, I don't get all the complaining about it honestly. It doesn't look like it's trying to be anything like the original except for the fairly vague "kind of like cannonball run with homicide" premise. I mean, the only connect is convicts (I think...are they death row inmates in DR2000?)+cars+killing while driving. That's not enough for me to buy an automatic connection. The race also doesn't appear to be "cross country" as far as I can tell.
    The original Death Racers were superstar athletes, instead of convicts competing for freedom. This is definately a remake. Some remakes are very loose such as the Black Christmas remake.