BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney Theatrical's 'Peter Pan' prequel flies to La Jolla

Posted: Mon., Jul. 28, 2008, 3:30pm PT

'Peter Pan' prequel flies to La Jolla

Disney show receiving no-critics run this spring

By Gordon Cox
    Variety
    July 28, 2008

"Peter Pan" prequel "Peter and the Starcatchers," a legit offering being developed by Disney Theatrical Prods., will get its first public showcase in a no-critics run next spring as part of the Page to Stage program at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego.

Characterized as a moderately scaled play with music -- rather than a big-budget tuner along the lines of Disney's stage versions of "The Lion Kings" and "The Little Mermaid" -- "Peter" is based on the 2004 novel of the same name by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Plot of the book, published by Disney division Hyperion, reveals the backstory of the cast of characters of J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan."

Rick Elice, co-writer of the book for "Jersey Boys" and a creative consultant at Disney Theatrical, penned the script for "Peter." Thesp-helmer Roger Rees directs, with Alex Timbers, a.d. of downtown Gotham troupe Les Freres Corbusier, credited as co-director.

Show is not the only Pan-themed project bound for the boards. The legit arm of the Weinstein Co. is at work on a musical version of "Finding Neverland," about Barrie himself, skedded for 2010.
    Beyond the Page to Stage engagement, no further production plans have yet been made for "Peter." Presented at La Jolla by special arrangement with Disney Theatrical, show runs Feb. 13-March 8.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=15&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Disney Theatrical's 'Peter Pan' prequel flies to La Jolla

This is exiting news. I loved all three books and would love them to be made into Prequel Peter Pan movies. I would love to see this, but the chances are pretty slim. I have no way to get there, but I can always hope this will be headed to a bigger venue at some point, like Broadway then touring like Beauty and Beast and Lion King. That would be cool. I would hope the movies would not be musicals though.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples