• Yes!!!

34 79.07%
  • No, it isn't important

4 9.30%
  • Other (Please explain)

5 11.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Star Wars...Watch or Not to Watch

What is cool about the original series (episodes 4-6) is that you are witnessing the birth of a new industry. The special effects. Industrial Light and Magic create some of the most amazing effects that you see today and take for granted. When you watch episode 4 remember that when you see those effects, NOTHING like that had ever been done before.

Today when you see a good film with great effects, LOTR, Harry Potter, itís because of Star Wars.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    When are you available, TicToc? We'll have it then!
    I was thinking, October? I know a litttle late. but sounds like a cool time to just to enjoy the Movies maybe some Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, (Iknow geeky isn't it?)
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Queen of Randomness

Murph, you silly boy, you voted no in the poll. And because you have to do everything I say , I command you to watch them and all the other movies that you have been told to watch. I command it and it shall be done. (I shouldn't be trusted with power)

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    I was thinking, October? I know a litttle late. but sounds like a cool time to just to enjoy the Movies maybe some Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, (Iknow geeky isn't it?)
    this would be soooo fun! we might have to make it a 2-day marathon if we're going to watch all 6 and do trivial pursuit. this is my idea of an awesome weekend.

p.s. i hope everyone understood my first post. i meant for him to watch in this order: 4,5,6,1,2,3. i was just saying he'd have to wait until 3 came out to watch them all. i was in no way advocating skipping any of the movies. although, i think the formula is jarjar<better movie i also agree with watching 4,5 & 6 on VHS because the special edition DVD's added way too much crap.
    <o>

• My prices are INSANE!

I would recommend seeing the original trilogy first, just so you can see how the films have evolved over the last 28 years. But if you would like to go in order then by all means go for it.

For us older fans it's a different experience. We grew up watching these films and is one reason I work in the entertanment buisness today.

Empire has the best story, but you must watch Star Wars(a new hope) first.

Aother important factor is to watch the Star Wars films on the biggest screen possible with a really good sound system. Lucas loves race car driving and the feeling for speed, all the flms have wonderful moments of fast paced action and speed that needs to be experienced on a big screen.

Again, see it on a BIG SCREEN!!!

The Star Wars Holiday Special

But beware! That final film is only for those who are not the faint of heart!
    Watching the christmas special is just freaky!

Carrie Fisher is higher than a kite in one scene and almost falls over trying to hit here mark.
    Mark Hammil could only be shot from one side because his face was recently mangled in his infamous car accident. And watch as Harrison Ford stands in the background for the final song (yes there's singing) with a look of 'Why am I hear?'.

But the ultimate topper for this star wars entry is the never ending scene's involving the Wookie's talking. Whole converstions of Wookie's growling with no subtitles, just Wookie's growling.

That must have been some GOOOOOD humbolt weed George was smoking to come up with this gem of a special!

Althought, he was responsible for Howard the Duck!
    Last edited by Crazy Larry; 08-27-2005 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Larry can't spell.....
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry
    Althought, he was responsible for Howard the Duck!
    I liked Howard the Duck!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• My prices are INSANE!

Sorry about that Sunnygirl, it's always a good cheap shot at Lucas.

I saw Howard the Duck on opening day, and actually liked it. But it's one of those things you can't really say in public.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Tictoc,
    Well, I don't think Episode III comes out until the first of November, but we can gather for VI, V and VI in October and then again for I, II, and III on your next trip.

(DVD versions! I just love it when Han steps on Jabba's tail!)

• Don't hate the game...

in responce to the original post...
    I wouldnt get caught up in the hype because I feel youll be dissapointed. Watch it with no pre judgment and make your own judgment
    Thats just my opinion

• Minion

To join the human race, you must watch Star Wars (1978), which is a truly great, fresh and original movie still. It stands alone and should not have been retitled as Episode Four: A New Hope in reissue. You don't have to watch any of the others to get the experience.

If you like that, expand into The Empire Strikes Back (excellent, as sequels go, but doesn't stand alone) and Return of the Jedi (weaker payoff to the trilogy promises more than it delivers), but by the third entry, they will slightly spoil the specialness of the original, as sequels tend to do.

But whatever you do, do not, ever, watch the revisionist and completely unrelated in theme and spirit latter-made prequel trilogy - a dismal, series-spoiling set of stinky celloid downers. Really bad and thematically dishonest change propaganda.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    But whatever you do, do not, ever, watch the revisionist and completely unrelated in theme and spirit latter-made prequel trilogy - a dismal, series-spoiling set of stinky celloid downers. Really bad and thematically dishonest change propaganda.
    Murphy, (and also the rest of the MiceChatters )

My problem with the three prequels is that they are still called Star Wars, they have familiar characters, and flow into the original three, yet they are so different.

The technology differences are understandable, and I (as most other people) accept them... (another reason to see them beginning with IV)... (The first Star Wars film I saw was Episode V (Empire). I then watched VI (Jedi), and followed that up with IV, (New Hope), then followed up by seeing the prequels in their correct order. The reason to watch them beginning with IV (New Hope) and ending with III (Sith) is to see them in their order of their original theatrical release, and seeing how most other people saw them.)

But back to the prequels... If you truly enjoy learning the back stories of the characters, then go for seeing them, but the original trilogy stands alone as a great achievement as sort of a modern [I]Odyssey[I]. I have to put the two trilogies into different categories because that is where they belong. Think of it as Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. There was the original and then (to put it plainly) a remake which had a new generation. The prequels are much like the next generation, except with one problem, they were the generation before. So, think of it like this...the prequels are the recently discovered ancestors to the originals.

I know the example I will be using might be a little beyond your years if you do not study the history of television or are somehow connected to classic TV, but think of it like any old show being remade. There was once a show called "Dark Shadows". It was made in 1966 and ran until 1971. In 1991 there was a remake of it. The remake was in a totally different format from the original, yet it had the same characters, and same stories. However, the remake had new technology, altered and changed some of the characters, had new actors, and belongs in a different realm from the original. This is how I view Star Wars.

The prequels belong in their own realm. All the films are connected, yet they belong to different generations. The originals (IV, V, and VI) are timeless, and the prequels really belong to the generation of movie-goers that they were made for. I think that you might enjoy the originals, but you might be more inclined to the technology and new creations of the prequels. I say see the originals. If you really like them, see the prequels. If you don't like the originals, why not give one of the prequels a chance... (III [Sith] was the best of the prequels, but you might as well see Episode I first).

I hope that this post helped and didn't confuse you more, but it makes sense in my own twisted illogical mind... )

As Always,
    Aura of Foreboding

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    I know the example I will be using might be a little beyond your years if you do not study the history of television or are somehow connected to classic TV, but think of it like any old show being remade. There was once a show called "Dark Shadows". It was made in 1966 and ran until 1971. In 1991 there was a remake of it. The remake was in a totally different format from the original, yet it had the same characters, and same stories. However, the remake had new technology, altered and changed some of the characters, had new actors, and belongs in a different realm from the original. This is how I view Star Wars.
    Perhaps a more contemporary comparison here is Battlestar: Galactica. The original and remake are completely different in style and tone, yet still share many of the characters and plotlines.
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• =)

I think you should definitely give all six movies a shot. You may hate every single one of them; then again, you may find a new interest. The Star Wars movies are some of my favorite films, and I think that people should give them a try. The acting in the originals wasn't outstanding, but mostly, the major characters are quite well presented. In the newer ones (I, II, and III) a lot of the acting is significantly worse--partly as a result of Lucas being the writer. (The man has a great mind for storytelling, but his ability to write an actual screenplay has never been top-notch. He didn't directly write all of the originals.) I, for one, still enjoy the "prequels," with Revenge of the Sith being my favorite of the three. Some of the acting is greatly improved, and the movie has a lot more emotional punch.

Don't get your expectations too high. Just approach the movies with an open mind and watch them in the same order the original audiences had to: IV, V, VI, I, II, III. As has been pointed out, the drama plays out much better when seen in that order.

I'm listening to the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack right now. Ooh, Imperial March...John Williams is a genius...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    (how can you not like jar jar
    Easily
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    Perhaps a more contemporary comparison here is Battlestar: Galactica. The original and remake are completely different in style and tone, yet still share many of the characters and plotlines.
    Thank you. I thought of Battlestar after I had already posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123