34 79.07%
  • No, it isn't important

4 9.30%
  • Other (Please explain)

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• So!

Star Wars...Watch or Not to Watch

As some of you know, I've never seen any Star Wars film. And I thought it would be interesting to find out what the majority of people here believe I should do.

BTW: This is just one of many movies I haven't seen.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Star Wars...Watch or Not to Watch

I have a co-worker who has not seen them either.

What is wrong with you people

Anyway- yes, see the first 3 for sure (or 4,5 and 6 as it were) if you have a strong stomach for awfulness- see 1. 2 is marginally better...and Sith is pretty good, if you ignore the gaping inconsistencies.

Anyway....yeah, 3 for sure, 2 maybe's and 1 you prolly should ..yeah

• That's Hawt

As much as you can say Star Wars is JUST a movie (or six) I think it is truely important to watch the movies because there are so many cultural refrences to the saga. At a bare minimum you should watch the original three.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Prefect

Blog Entries

agreed...at least watch 4, 5 & 6. then you can wait until 3 is out on DVD and watch them all in order. i can't wait to do this myself!
    <o>

• Rock Star Minion

I wonder what movies you have seen and what kind of life you live.
    I consider them fun to watch, but I don't consider them to be more important than many other films. I certainly don't "live them," but as a rare theater-goer, I put the last three on the list of movies to see at the theater. I saw Ep IV in the theaters, but not I or III, as I was in a contrarian stage of my life (Ep IV was a double-date situation, adn I was outvoted).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I agree Pixie, watch 4, 5 and 6 and bypass 1 and 2 and watch 3. Just my humble opinion. Maybe read a synopsis of 1 and 2 but dont bother watching.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    ...there are so many cultural refrences to the saga...
    In Toy Story 2, for example, one of the best lines of the movie is a direct lift from Star Wars.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Memory Maker

I think you should definately see all of them....especially 1 & 2 because of Jar-Jar (how can you not like jar jar

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• No longer on the darkside

I'd recommend you watch the original Star Wars ("A New Hope"), The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. If you can get a hold of a widescreen VHS copy of the originals, non-special edition, that'd be best. The originals are not available on DVD.

There's some silly stuff in there but I think they hold up pretty well. Just remember that no one had ever seen anything like these special effects before...

I'd recommend NOT seeing the prequels. Thank your lucky stars that you can pretend they do not exist.

• Reaver of Souls

As others have said, watch them in their chronologically released order. But DO see them.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    I agree Pixie, watch 4, 5 and 6 and bypass 1 and 2 and watch 3. Just my humble opinion. Maybe read a synopsis of 1 and 2 but dont bother watching.
    I agree. You should at least see the original trilogy.

Now the recent DVD releases of the original trilogy, which I own, were a bit of a disappointment. First of all, there was the whole Han shoots first controversey... (but you have to be a fan to understand that! lol), and I did not like the newly added sequences in Return of the Jedi. (Did anyone notice how they replaced Anakin at the end? I was furious! )

Get to know the main characters in "Sith" (Episode Three) before you watch it, so you can pass over 1 (Phantom Menace) and 2 (Clones).

So, watch 4 (A New Hope) first, then follow it up with 5 (Empire), 6 (Jedi), and then watch 3 (Sith) at the end. I hope you will enjoy them. The original three films belong in the American household, along with "Gone with the Wind", "The Wizard of Oz", and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

They have influenced popular culture so much, it is a shame not to have at least seen them once.

• So!

Ummmm, why am I confused

• Reaver of Souls

What are you confused about?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• So!

Why would I see the movies in the wrong order again?

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Murphy...
    BAH!!! on bad advice! Lucas suffers from the same fate as Disney: fans who have expectations so high that they can never be met... and fans that only want to see what they want and not what the artist wants. They are, after all, his films.

See them all... but the question is in which sequence to see them. The choices are 1) in the order they were originally released, or 2) in the sequence the story unfolds chronologically. Both methods have their reasons.

Something to remember: this is not six seperate stories; this is one tale, just like Lord of the Rings, but presented by the artist over a course of almost 30 years. To leave out one or two of the chapters is like skipping the first third of a novel and then trying to convince yourself that you got the full flavor of it. There are detail and subtle story points in the first two that many people miss, but I wrote about that in another post several months ago.

If you're interested let me know, and we'll make an event out of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast