us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Brother's Grimm

Yeah, you might wanna see it. Or not, really, whatever you want.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I might see it. I just don't know yet. May wait for it to come out in the cheap theaters. Is it really worth 8 bucks and a large popcorn?
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

agreed, it was ok, thought it was lacking "something" although I couldnt tell ya what it was. I was pretty excited and walked away going meh....

• Minion

I really liked it!

While it requires some determined focus on the part of the audience early on (and may lose some in the process), what with the dense clutter of interesting visual and audio images - - I loved the concept and the themes presented, as well as the fully embraced and realized dark and light fairy tale metaphors. Good script. But in ACT 1, I was very much wishing for some clear ADR.

Gilliam's idea that elitist politics have a stake in attempting to eliminate the ancient folktales that "give the people strength" certainly resonates. As does the struggle between realist Will and dreamer Jake (Damon and Ledger are both very appealing as usual).

Much better than I expected from reviews, with Gilliam's unique fanciful touches.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

to be honest, the thing with the GingerBread man, got to be WAY too weird for me.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

I think it was brilliant but also a little intellectually messy in some places. Pretty creepy in some places like you said, but that totally suits the Grimm stories.

The script is really well thought out and uses the movie as a commentary on folk tales, and at the same time creates a myth that resonates for people today. That is a huge accomplishment.

Sometimes it was a little hard to follow but he has a complicated mind. I think anybody who is really into fairy and folk tales is likely to consider this an important film.

I was thinking about "Into The Woods" because of the use of multiple stories of that type, and I found this more successful than what Sondheim did, although they weren't trying for the same effect.

• Puppy Cuddles

I have been waiting excitedly for this one to come out, but I can't find anyone else nearly as excited! I might have to go to this one alone which I didn't really expect. The previews made this movie look absolutely gorgeous (which was enough to get me to see LOTR in the theatres), so I figured even if you weren't sure about the story, people would want to see it.

Glad to know that it was at least okay, if not brilliant. I'm very excited.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Circle of Ancients

I really wanted to see this as well ... but am afraid to now because of the poor reviews. I usually don't let reviews effect my choices, but these are from people who respect and understand what Terry Gilliam tries to do as a director.

I have heard that he let the studio have more of a say in this one so they would lay off his next project, Tideland.

I agree with merlinjones and Asterix, for the most part. I went to see it because of Gilliam, and because I have a complete love for and fascination with folklore and fairy tales, and their contemporary derivative works. Heck, so much is borrowed from those stories without even meaning to be derivative, but I have a real fondness for intellient retellings and revisionist works. Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I was looking forward to his spin on old yarns. The reviews almost kept me away, but I thought, "Whatever, I'll go in with low expectations." And I'm glad I did, because I really, really enjoyed it. Just had a great time, depsite any flaws in the editing (there were some weird jumps). I loved how the forest seemed part real, part puppet theater. I LOVED the scenes where the girls were captured by the horse and the gunk. The wolf man, etc. Damon seemed to pull of an English accent, and his performace was subtle despite all his flair. And I adored Heath Ledger's character, and his goofy performance, which reminded me of Johnny Depp in Sleep Hollow (whose performance I loved, though I found the film lackluster.)

The screenplay melded a bunch of old stories together, and made something new with them. The core plot seemed really original to me. The town, the tower, the myth of the queen were all used to great effect, and were an eerie and fantastical backdrop to all the humorous character interactions (which sometimes reminded me of a Tom Stoppard play).

And the kitten scene? Pure Gilliam. He was obviously more restrained, but I think some restraint was necessary to tell such a whimsical and often ridiculous tale.

• șoș Tom șoș

This movie, is being panned critically less for the merits on which it deserves to be jjudged and more on the folklore this film developed for itself! I worked at Dimension studios two years ago and saw some of this footage. This film has been completed and shelved for so long it had garnished a bit of a reputation and the studios lack of faith in the product tarnished the film...ESPECIALLY because it was nearly abanddoned half way through the process much like his Terry's previous project Man of La Mancha.

I felt the reviews were trite and without basis other than elitist Hollywood snobbish reaction to a visionary director who sticks his neck out on the line to create fantastical movies that no other man could attempt.

This movies is superb, even Damon's lackluster attempt at an accent could not tarnish what was a well written and well directed film. Ledger hides under his character until Act 2 before taking some incredible moments. The visuals are stunning and in true Gilliam form he attempts the most insane camera tricks and angles that really sell the movie. Given more support and more financial backing this had all the elements of being last summer's POTC but because of misguided short comings by the Weinstens and Disney this project will no doubt fade before its' true artistic merit is ever recognized.

• hide the rum

i really wanted to see it but everyone i kno said it was really bad my friends walked out of it
    "Be very careful about following the advice in health books. You could die of a misprint."
    -Shrunken Ned

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Thats too bad - although I thought it was lacking and a bit confusing in places it was intriguing and visually stunning.

• lol

I was really wanting to see it, but my friend said it was too silly for him. I still may see it, when it comes out in the dollar theaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast