• back to WDW in January

Disney Underpants Create Some Discomfort

British parents and child protection groups are objecting to girl's underpants marketed by Disney that bear a message some see as sexually suggestive.
    The underwear, designed as a tie-in product for Disney's "High School Musical" series of TV movies, are emblazoned with the words "Dive In," The Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
    Sue Ralph said she purchased a pack of the undergarments from chain store Asda for her 7-year-old granddaughter and was later outraged to see the "sexually suggestive" message they bore.
    "My daughter and I thought it was rather inappropriate for a 7 year old to be wearing them. 'Dive In' was written across them," Ralf said. "Well, without being rude, we thought it was rather suggestive."
    "I think it is inappropriate because you just never know who could be out and about and see that and just think it was a bit too enticing for a young child to be wearing," she said. "I would like to see all the products removed from the shelves."
    The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children described the underwear as part of "a worrying trend of inappropriate clothing marketed for young children."
    An Asda spokesman said the garments were not designed to cause offense and the "Dive In" message was a reference to the end of one of the films, which featured the characters diving into a pool.
    Source: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/08/...6591218662172/

• ..but you can call me Pam

Re: Disney Underpants Create Some Discomfort

Even if it was a reference to the end of the movie, it's still a pretty stupid choice on their part. I can't believe that no one caught the *other meaning* before these went out on the market. Really stupid.

ummm, maybe I just dont get it but if its the girls underwear whos going to see it? If no one can see her underwear then what does it matter. Everything is "too offensive" these days.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

• Banned User

Yeah, and kids walk around with only their underwear on in public all the time.

Disney is corrupting our children! It's time for a ...

MORAL PANIC!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
    Disney is corrupting our children! It's time for a ...

MORAL PANIC!
    Don't blame Disney.

Blame Zac Efron. Works for me every time.

Yeah, and kids walk around with only their underwear on in public all the time.
    Um, yes their thongs, their boxers, and their bare ***** are hanging out of the low riding jeans all the time all day long. I'm surprised that more kids don't trip over themselves as the crotch of their pants hangs below the knee.

Still Disney (or whoever gave final approval) should have run it past legal to prevent any possible back lash.

• Banned User

Awkward. I never understood marketing High School Musical to little kids anyways..

I have nothing to offer - but this is the best thread title ever. I just wanted you to know.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• back to WDW in January

Followup:

Disney removes 'suggestive' pants

Sue Relf complained that the words were sexually suggestive Knickers for young girls made to promote the film High School Musical 2 are being withdrawn after a complaint that they were sexually suggestive.
    Sue Relf bought the underwear for her seven-year-old granddaughter at Asda in Broadstairs, Kent, and took them home to find the words "dive in" on them.
    Disney apologised for any offence and said a genuine oversight had led to the words being used out of context.
    Asda said the sale was completely innocent and was not meant to offend.
    Mrs Relf said: "Both myself and my daughter looked at them and thought, 'Oh my goodness'.
    "There was stuff written on them which I thought - and so did my granddaughter - was inappropriate for a seven-year-old to be wearing."
    Disney issued a statement which said: "We are very sorry to hear that a customer is unhappy with one of our High School Musical products and apologise for any offence caused.
    "The knickers in question were designed using our High School Musical 2 artwork, which uses the creative theme of a swimming pool, as this is a key part of the film's storyline.
    "Unfortunately a genuine oversight was made and the text on this product was used outside the context of the swimming pool.
    "This product will not be part of any forthcoming collections."
    A spokesperson for the company said the underwear, which was only sold at Asda, was part of a collection aimed at eight to 12-year-olds, but was available in sizes from children aged four.
    An Asda spokesperson said: "There is very limited stock available of this particular line still remaining in Asda stores.
    "It was completely innocent and certainly not meant to cause any offence to customers. However, we will now withdraw the product from all stores."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7562491.stm