Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Half-Blood Prince Movie Delayed till 2009

The sixth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, originally scheduled for a November 21 release, has now been moved to July 17, 2009 in the US and major international markets, according to MarketWatch.com. WB has confirmed the move to TLC.

The press release says the reason for the move was two-fold: First, the studio says summer releases are better for "family tentpole" events, and second, they are still feeling the aftereffects of the writer's strike and need the time to make sure the film reaches the widest audience possible.

The new date, said Jeff Robinov, president of WB's motion picture group, does not alter the production schedule for the last two Harry Potter films; filming on the first of the two book-seven films will begin in February. "The good news for [fans]," he said, "is that the gap will now be shortened between 'Half-Blood Prince' and the first part of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.'"

The writer's strike, the release says, "impacted the readiness of scripts for other films--changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer."
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Infinitized!

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Delayed till 2009

Bad move I think. Look at how saturated the summer movie season is becoming, take this summer as an example. Prince Caspian would've probably made more had it been released during the Christmas movie season. Indiana Jones probably didn't get as much attention as it wanted. I thought Indy would be playing all summer and it's left the local theaters having been replaced by The Mummy.

Let's see what's up for next year's summer:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Star Trek
    GI Joe
    Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
    Angels and Demons
    Night at the Museum 2
    Ice Age 3
    Up

Getting to be a pretty full slate.

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

I'm getting the feeling they're pulling because the Twilight movie is coming out December 12. The very movie based on the Twilight book that knocked JK Rowling out of the top 3 in the first week of it's release.

There was speculation that the movie would knock the HP movie down in the box office as well. Bummer, I was looking forward to seeing if Twilight would knock it again.

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

• Circle of Ancients

NOOOOOO!!!!!

As far as over-saturation, I disagree. The reason Prince Caspian didn't do as well is because it's really a "Christmas Season" type of family movie. Harry Potter, not so much. There have already been 2 Harry Potter movies released in the summer (Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix).

I think the REALLY bad thing is going to be that there will be greater than a 2 year gap between Order and Half Blood Prince.

• The one and only

Wow. That's a bit surprising. I think Harry Potter fits more in the November releases than a big summer release, but maybe this long delay may actually get more people to see the film because of the gap between this film and the last.

• Senior Minion

Simply put - WB has seen the massive kerching of box office reciepts this summer and wants Harry to take a big slice of that pie next summer. Money makes the world go around.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Bad move I think. Look at how saturated the summer movie season is becoming, take this summer as an example. Prince Caspian would've probably made more had it been released during the Christmas movie season. Indiana Jones probably didn't get as much attention as it wanted. I thought Indy would be playing all summer and it's left the local theaters having been replaced by The Mummy.

Let's see what's up for next year's summer:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Star Trek
    GI Joe
    Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
    Angels and Demons
    Night at the Museum 2
    Ice Age 3
    Up

Getting to be a pretty full slate.

What's scary is that Up is the only non-sequel on that list of Summer blockbusters .

The movie of Half-Blood Prince has been hyped for some time now. Despite the possible conflict with Twilight, I think it's a mistake to make audiences that are already primed to see HBP wait an additional 8 months for it (that's two-thirds of a year!)
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by <3WillTurner View Post
    I'm getting the feeling they're pulling because the Twilight movie is coming out December 12. The very movie based on the Twilight book that knocked JK Rowling out of the top 3 in the first week of it's release.

There was speculation that the movie would knock the HP movie down in the box office as well. Bummer, I was looking forward to seeing if Twilight would knock it again.
    That doesn't mean Twilight was the cause. If I were them, I'd put HP on the same day as Twilight and prove which one is mightier. Likely Harry Potter. Twilight, no doubt, has lost a few fans due to Breaking Dawn, while Harry Potter has been doing great in both the box office and books. Twilight isn't as big of an established franchise that Harry Potter is, and it likely never will. And besides, The Day The Earth Stood Still is premiering the same day as Twilight. That pretty much shows whose going to be king in the Box Office that week.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i'm really bummed becuase i dont' read a Harry Potter book until AFTER i see the movie...and now i have to wait even longer to read HBP
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

A signature should go here.

It looks like Disney is taking advantage of this by moving Bolt to November 21st.

• Man O Lantern

Bah.

We're (three kids and me) pretty upset around here. I've been craving this movie for months now. I think it's a foolish decision and I hope it somehow affects their bottom line.

And I don't think Twilight had anything to do with the move. The openings were scheduled three weeks apart.

I'm really irritated.

Bah.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I don't know when to tell wifey. She's gonna be bummed.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I'm incredibly annoyed.

I'm wondering if it just wasn't working and they want to work it a bit. Or maybe it was working and when they started to put the storyline together for Deathly Hallows they decided they needed to make some changes.

It's just been weird. Very few pictures from the set and a trailer so incredibly late made me question if they really had made a movie.

And I don't think Twilight had anything to do with this. As popular as Twilight is, Harry Potter has a much broader fan base.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast