•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Why do todays Movies SUCK???

Throughout the history of film, every so many years, we saw a true classic arrive. But not in the last 15 or so years have we seen this. I Suppose we can give 'Instant' Classic status to "Lord of the Rings" but that was written decades ago.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HOLLYWOOD? WHY THE LACK OF TALENT? WHY THE LACK OF ORIGINALITY? WHY THE LACK OF CREATIVITY?
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Why do todays Movies SUCK???

The same questions have been asked since the town was cranking out silents.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    Throughout the history of film, every so many years, we saw a true classic arrive. But not in the last 15 or so years have we seen this. I Suppose we can give 'Instant' Classic status to "Lord of the Rings" but that was written decades ago.
    I don't know you but I would guess you are between 30 - 35 years old.....movies have sucked for me for about 18 years now(I am 38)---

It's not so much that they suck it is more that we have seen so many that now it takes something truly special(Like lord of the rings) to pique our interests
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• =)

We have all of cinematic history to look back on. Naturally, there seem to be a lot more classic films from the olden days, since there's a slight human tendency to think of all the "classics" coming out within a short period of time. Hollywood (and the rest of the cinematic world) only puts out a masterpiece from time to time, just as it always has.

That being said, I totally agree with you. Lately, it feels like both television and movies have plummeted into a nosedive. Finding Nemo was probably the last really good movie I saw, believe it or not. Well, there was Revenge of the Sith, which I thought that was the perfect way complete the Star Wars saga. (I'm listening to the soundtrack right now!)

I'm waiting for the next huge movie phenomenon. Lord of the Rings could count, except the story's been around for fifty years, as PanTheMan pointed out. I want an original, creative film that changes the way we think about movies and manages to be enjoyable. Of course, I'd also like a couple of DL dark rides with the same sort of originality and quality...

• insufferable know-it-all

The costs of producing movies have gotten so high that studios can no longer afford to put out movies unless they know they'll be a "hit". Now, in a world of "singles and doubles" strategies, a "hit" can mean formulaic dreck, as long as it gets enough bums in seats. So the film industry goes into factory mode. They know, with a some degree of certainty, that a film fitting formula X will get approximately Y people in the theatres - so they churn out a whole bunch of films that fit formula X, and formula Y... and formula Z. And they churn out sequels to already-successful "franchises" (American Pie, Terminator, Scary Movie, etc).

On the other side of the equation, because of the high cost of producing films, those costs are passed on to the audiences in the form of higher ticket prices. The audiences, being pressed on many sides already (gas, anyone?) are no longer willing to risk plunking down $10 apiece for crap films.

The more films that flop, the less risky the studios are willing to be, the more dreck gets produced, the less willing the customer is willing to pay to see them, and the more films that flop.....

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Disney Memory Maker

It's really an opinion matter. What some call classics, others call garbage. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I think Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a classic. I loved the Rush Hour movies, Harry Potter movies, all of Disney's animated movies, PotC, Hocus Pocus and Passion of the Christ amongst others.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Gay Man

There's good and then there's popular and the two don't always meet. I tend to go for the art house fare. It is still hit or miss, but at least the misses don't tick me off like the contrived reproduction films do.

• Minion

Why do the movies suck?

It's the entire codependant, clueless system of uppity, arrogant, survey-taking screaming smirking corporate executives and MBAs that control and develop the story content and production slates of supposedly risk-free lookalike, templated, tentpoled non-creator-driven nonart (but really are pushing their own postmodernist, deconstructionist, non-commercial "compelling and relevent", "dark n edgy" social change agendas to death rather than giving the people the sincere and inspiring mythic escapist entertainment they desire).

Hollywood needs an enema - - and to start using their eyebrows and emotions again.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

As an actor, I can only surmise it's because no one has yet "discovered" me.

<<<<<new actor trying to "make it" in Hollywood.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I loved the Rush Hour movies, Harry Potter movies, all of Disney's animated movies, PotC, Hocus Pocus and Passion of the Christ amongst others.
    I forgot Harry Potter, POTC, and Passion of the Christ. There are others, too. It just feels like overall movie quality is declining...

I loved Pirates of the Caribbean. Awesome movie. I've arranged the soundtrack for piano. I think I'll go play it now.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

But it can be just as simple as a good story, Many of the All time Greats had no big Budget. There seems to be a total lack of talent in all areas these days. Acting, directing, writing, and producing.

My #1 Theory is that Hollywood has become inbred. The Nepotism of the Industry, along with going with "Celebrity" over talent has left Hollywood in the mess it is now in.

Broadway will soon suffer this same fate as they begin to import talentless Celebrity hacks to star in Big Productions.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• My prices are INSANE!

Because they keep letting Michael Bay make films.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/