Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Who ya gonna call? Reunite the GHOSTBUSTERS!

Posted: Thurs., Sep. 4, 2008, 5:15pm PT

Columbia calls up new 'Ghostbusters'

Eisenberg, Stupnitsky to write reunion film

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in BlacK and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.
    Columbia calls up new 'Ghostbusters' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Re: Who ya gonna call? Reunite the GHOSTBUSTERS!

I doubt Murray would return but I assume that this has been brought on by the video game which Akroyd has described as 'episode 3'. Trouble is, I still remember Ghostbusters 2.... oh dear.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

there is definantly a lack of original ideas for movies in hollywood these days it seems....sadly
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Animation Domination

Wasn't Ghostbusters 3 suppose to come out back in 1993ish?

• Infinitized!

I think Rick Moranis could use the work, or is Disney paying him anything for HISTA?

I hope they put the original logo back on the doors of ECTO-1 rather than the peace sign logo from Ghostbusters 2.
    Last edited by Barbossa; 09-05-2008 at 02:35 AM.

• I'm the Doctor

OK, heres what i know. The upcoming Ghostbusters next gen video will have most of the original cast. All the orginal four members, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson. Along with them, sveral other will be reprising roles such as William Atherton as Walter Peck, the EPA offical from the first film, and Annie Potts as Janine. Rick Moranis was offered to refuse but flat out refused due to him enjoying home life.

Now, when all the stuff came about the game, Aykroyd had gone and said the game was esentially "Ghostsbusters 3" even with the game being set in 1993. So how a real third movie pans out is beyond me. A part of me kinda wants them to return and find theyre getting to old and maybe hand off the reigns to new ghostbusters, ala Extreme Ghostbusters

• Happy Memories

This is one of those films that's been talked about and rumored to happen so many times over the years that I'm just taking a "believe it when I see it" stance.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    This is one of those films that's been talked about and rumored to happen so many times over the years that I'm just taking a "believe it when I see it" stance.
    Same here. But if it DOES happen, Im sure Ill see it.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Pilot EdForceOne

These guys are OLD now... what's the story going to be? The retirement home is haunted?

Murry and Aykroyd are old... Aykroyd is fat... ugh... don't ruin another good 80s classic
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I did hear a rumor that might involve the handing off the reigns to a younger group of Ghostbusters.

• Senior Minion

If this gets made I would like to see Gremlins 3 released within a week of it. That would really transport me back to 1984!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Lightbulb Re: Who ya gonna call? Reunite the GHOSTBUSTERS!

As much as I would like to see the original cast together for a third one, I doubt it will ever happen.

Not many people know this but the original premise for Ghostbusters was that it was to be set somewhat in the future and that Ghostbusters franchises were all over the place, with various stations across the U.S. It was also supposed to be a bit darker, not so much the comedy it came to be.

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love Ghostbusters. It was my favorite movie growing up as a child. But trying to get the original cast back might be stretching it a bit too much.

Now, if I were to make the movie, I'd make it modern day and set it in a different major city aside from New York. That way, it goes to where the original story line wanted to go. It's the present, there are Ghostbusters stations across the U.S., and you focus on one of the other departments, like a Los Angeles Division, Detroit Division, Las Vegas Division, or whatever city you want.

(Come to think of it, this sounds like a CSI kind of thing, now. Ghostbusters live action television show. I'd definitely watch that!)
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I bet that if this movie gets made, production will probably start on Goonies 2, anther movie that was rumoured to get a sequel over the years.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Bad idea. Bad bad bad idea. Wasn't the 2nd one kind of a flop? I remember it but I can't remember the plot outside of ghosts that needed busting.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Wasn't the 2nd one kind of a flop?
    Ghostbusters 1984
    worldwide: $291,632,124

Ghostbusters 2 1989
    worldwide: $215,394,738
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)