Toy Story 10th Anniversary DVD Next Week!

Next Week, Disney is finally giving Toy Story the treatment it deserves on DVD. On Tuesday (September 6), the 10th Anniversary Edition (wow, it's been 10 years!) of TS1 will arrive with all the bonus material that we could ever want. And the best thing is that the new DVD has a DTS track. I'm going out on Tuesday and buying it first day (since Future Shop & Best Buy have a one day low price on it- $19.99 CDN). Is anyone as excited to get this DVD as I am? Now, only if they rereleased Toy Story 2, than my Pixar DVD collection will be complete.

• far, far away from DL

Re: Toy Story 10th Anniversary DVD Next Week!

My son LOVES Toy Story. We watch it once a week. He knows it by heart. When we got it on VHS, the tape was wearing thin from him watching it so much. Thank goodness it came out on DVD. He will be so happy it's coming out again. Thanks for the info.

Sabrina

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

I have the "Ultimate Toy Box" edition. Is the new one going to be any better than that? It has a tom of bonus material also.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    I have the "Ultimate Toy Box" edition. Is the new one going to be any better than that? It has a tom of bonus material also.
    Many of the features on this new DVD are the same as on the old Toy Box bonus disc, but there is some new bonus material including new featurettes, games, and other stuff. Also, one thing about this new DVD is that the transfer of the actual movie is new and according to those who've already seen the film on the new DVD, it is a much better transfer. It's still THX Certified, but it was recorded with a higher bit rate, which means the picture transfer is better than ever. As for the soundtrack, I've mentioned before that it now includes a DTS track (something that unfortunatly has never been done on any other Pixar DVD). As well, the Dolby Digital soundtrack has been remastered by the original sound designer so it sounds better than ever is whatever soundtrack you use- Dolby or DTS. Can't wait until Tuesday!

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

What's the difference between Dolby and DTS? I've never really understood that.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Mice Chat Newbie

I can't either! Even though I have it already on DVD, the 10th Anniversary will be very special. This is my favorite Pixar movie!!

I can't believe TEN YEARS! Ten years ago I worked at a Disney Store and I remember when we got the Buzz Lightyear Toys in. I told the Guests they should get it but many waited....but it became the hottest toy of the season. As a matter of fact, they refer to that in Toy Story 2! (Not me telling people to buy it, but the fact that it was a hot toy and there was a Buzz shortage)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    What's the difference between Dolby and DTS? I've never really understood that.
    Dolby Digital and DTS are two different sound systems. To the average DVD viewer, it's hard to notice the difference. If you have a Dolby Digital/ DTS sound system as part of your home theatre, than you would notice a major difference. Now, I don't have any type of sound system, except for my TV's speakers, but I can use the DTS track on my TV, and I can tell the difference. DTS is much more sharper and a better quality soundtrack than the Dolby Digital sound system. But, as I said before, if you're just the regular DVD viewer, than you probably won't be able to tell the difference between Dolby and DTS.

• far, far away from DL

I remember the Buzz shortage. I was lucky to get one for my son. It was the best thing in the world to him. He still plays with it. Looks like it's been through the war but he won't part with it.

Sabina

So, who's going to be at the store picking up their copy tomorrow?

• Doing it with a flair

I think I might pick up a copy. That and Lost Season One...
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I'll be getting a copy. I can't believe it's been 10 years!! Both of my boys have done "time with Toy Story" I love this movie. I'll be heading to Best Buy!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Doing it with a flair

I also can't believe it's been ten years. I swear it doesn't seem THAT long ago!
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

• Mice Chat Newbie

I'll be at Target tomorrow to get one! I

I just got it and here's what I think of it:

The picture transfer is awesome, but I can't really compare it with the old single disc since I never owned that version, and I'm watching it on a regular TV. Now, the audio seems great, though I've only watched it with the Dolby Digital. The Trailer for "Cars" gave me a much better impression of the film than the trailer that went in front of "The Incredibles" last fall, but is only the first half of the sneak preview (the other half will be on the Toy Story 2 SE in December). Now, I've only watched some of the bonus features so far, actually I've only watched two featurettes- one on the legacy of the film and the other on the filmmakers' reflection on the film- after a decade. The featurette on the legacy of the film is great and includes interviews with some of the filmmakers who worked on Toy Story as well as comments from George Lucas, Brad Bird, and Peter Jackson. The filmmakers' reflection on the film is also good, it's basically a round table of the film's creative team- John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter and the late great Joe Ranft, talking about their experience from pre- production to release, and includes a number of funny stories (my favourite is John Lasseter talking about going to Toys 'R' Us with a company credit card as part of his "reseach").

That's what I think so far of the new 10th Anniversary Edition of "Toy Story" and I will continue to post my thoughts of this new DVD once I look at more of the bonus material.