• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Orange County Register interviews Jay Rasulo - regards to the 2009 Marketing Campaign

Interview: Disney Resort Chairman Jay Rasulo - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

Adam Townsend of the OC Register had a chance to interview the Disney Parks and Resort Chairman, Jay Rasulo this morning.

Q: So how is this promotional campaign different from what Disney does every year?

A: First of all, historically, most of our celebrations have focused on Disney milestones. This is a celebration that focuses on milestones in our guests’ lives.

Secondly, this is a program that will be noticeable the second you come into the park. There will be banners — “Celebrate today” — that will kind of give the guests a whole festive sense of arrival. Cast members will also receive special training. There will be parade stops when they call out “everybody who’s celebrating a birthday, come into the parade,” and other entertainment events.
    More of the interview can be found at the link above.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Orange County Register interviews Jay Rasulo - regards to the 2009 Marketing Camp

The article says free admission on your birthday, or a gift card, or Golden Fastpass... That sounds ok, I guess they're operating on the assumption that the birthday celebrant will bring other people with him, just like when restaurants offer a free dinner on your birthday, you usually bring your family or a group to celebrate. I can't fault them for that, and it actually seems like a good idea. People will have a good feeling about Disney, and it would probably pay off for them. Maybe they're really starting to use their heads and realize the value of loss leaders. I'm not sure about the Celebration banners, it sounds like the YOMD promotion, but we'll have to see.

• RESCUE RANGERS BIG FAN

MIAMI, FLORIDA ARE PLANNING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO, FLORIDA

Re: Orange County Register interviews Jay Rasulo - regards to the 2009 Marketing Camp

That's awesome! I can't wait to see it in person!
    JEANY SANCHEZ

• The one, the only...

While I think that this is a good idea for local visitors, I am not sure it will be as attractive as they think for out of town guests. Also this "celebration" is missing something. What about the Birthday cake? I think it would be really fantastic if in addition to this, one who is celebrating a birthday gets a birthday cake at one of the restaurants. I know that most people would buy the meal that goes with it, so in the long run, Disney would make money off of it. But it would also mean a lot to people who are having a birthday. So that is what I think is missing.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    While I think that this is a good idea for local visitors, I am not sure it will be as attractive as they think for out of town guests. Also this "celebration" is missing something. What about the Birthday cake? I think it would be really fantastic if in addition to this, one who is celebrating a birthday gets a birthday cake at one of the restaurants. I know that most people would buy the meal that goes with it, so in the long run, Disney would make money off of it. But it would also mean a lot to people who are having a birthday. So that is what I think is missing.
    But the cake is part of the plan, you will be able ot order personalized Birthday Cakes once again inside Disneyland at Full Service Restuarants.

The key is that it will have to be done in advance on the web.

So a key part of this promotion is to send you an e-mail "reminder" about 2 weeks prior to your birthday, with links to ordering cakes, meals, etc. (yes, Priority Seating will be available for booking on the web directly). So before you go, they get you to order cakes (and of course, pay for them at the time of ordering) and other upsell items, such as a new Celebration location, the Big Thunder BBQ, where they will offer Celebration Packges that include a meal... You haven't seen it all yet, but as Al Lutz has mentioned in his editor notes at MiceAge, just wait until you see all the upsell items that are planned.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    You haven't seen it all yet, but as Al Lutz has mentioned in his editor notes at MiceAge, just wait until you see all the upsell items that are planned.....
    I'm just glad to see that the gimmick of the promotion is a free thing (entry on your BD). I was worried that the entire gimmick of the event was the upsell events and packages. At least it looks like Disney is doing something good on the outside.
    -Monorail Man

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

i'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

in a year, everyone is going to be complaining about it, i guarantee it.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?