• Senior Minion

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Remake

I have just heard that Disney are planning either a remake of the 1971 movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks or are perhaps planning to reboot the 'franchise'. Anyone got any details on it?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Bedknobs and Broomsticks Remake

This is a remake I would prefer they didn't make. It's one of my favorites, and Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson are perfect in it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Fortuosity!

A script was being worked on in 2006 but so far nothing has come from it. It was meant to be closer tot he books and not a musical with a title that wasn't meant to remind people of the original film.

Since this is my favorite Disney film I'd rather they not destroy it by associating it with a remake. I'd rather the original film get the same 40th Anniversary treatment that Poppins got back in 2004 (2-disc DVD/Blu-ray and CD release)
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Senior Minion

What's interesting is that when Disney were toying with the idea of remaking/rebooting Mary Poppins several years ago, there was a mass outcry within the media. It would seem that the world is less precious about this movie - seen by many as a poor relation (although I prefer it).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• insufferable know-it-all

I don't think it'll hold up well as a remake. But the original is terrific.

If they INSIST on remaking it, one would hope they'd at least reuse Angela Lansbury in it. But David Tomlinson is IMHO, irreplaceable. Who're they going to use, Eddie Murphy? Pfft.

(although the amusing thought just popped into my head that perhaps Michael Crawford could make a decent go at the character)

Mostly, I'd be worried about the portrayal of the kids. The older boy's character could so easily be massively overdone by the company. And "doubting teen" is so overdone already that just..... no.

The animation still stands. Why would anyone consider redoing that?

I've got a better idea. Scratch the remake, focus on making it into a Broadway Musical.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I don't think it'll hold up well as a remake. But the original is terrific.

If they INSIST on remaking it, one would hope they'd at least reuse Angela Lansbury in it. But David Tomlinson is IMHO, irreplaceable. Who're they going to use, Eddie Murphy? Pfft.

(although the amusing thought just popped into my head that perhaps Michael Crawford could make a decent go at the character)

Mostly, I'd be worried about the portrayal of the kids. The older boy's character could so easily be massively overdone by the company. And "doubting teen" is so overdone already that just..... no.

The animation still stands. Why would anyone consider redoing that?

I've got a better idea. Scratch the remake, focus on making it into a Broadway Musical.
    Although Lansbury is great, I really can't see her reprising the role (there is only so much soft-focus one can stomach!). If this ever happens I suspect that she will get a cameo but probably no more.
    If this is remade it would have to be slanted at today's audience but, as the Narnia films have proven, you can show war-time kids as being still relatively pertinant to today's youngsters.
    I would suspect that the animated sequences would be done in CGI with more life-like animals.
    And bringing it to Broadway? I'll be first in line for tickets! (And Disney, do the same with Pete's Dragon while you're at it!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

A remake of yet another older Disney? I'd recommend against it.
    The reason a lot of those early live action films (Mary Poppins, Bedknobs, Love Bug, Old Yeller, Absent Minded Professor) were as successful is that they were all directed by Robert Stevenson, with a very warm a gentle hand, nad it was a very big key to their success.

Look at the first two Herbie films, warm sweet and a lot of fun. The second two were directed by Vince McVeety, not anywhere near as fun, same goes with the recent Herbie Fully Loaded

I'm not sure what is meant by "franchise", but if that means a new license to create merchandise, I'm all for it. A big fig of the bed with everyone riding on it? Heck yeah, I'd buy it.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I have just heard that Disney are planning either a remake of the 1971 movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks or are perhaps planning to reboot the 'franchise'. Anyone got any details on it?
    Where did you hear this?

This was the last time I recall seeing any action on this property's front:

12/07/2005: "Bedknobs and Corpse Brides"

It seems Disney is tapping into its vast library of properties to look for more potential Narnia hits with the news that writer Pamela Pettler has been hired to update one of the Mouse House’s most popular films.
    “I like fantasy and stories with lots of magical realism” says Pettler, where the news is revealed that her next project is preparing the screenplay for a remake of Bedknobs And Broomsticks. Further details are sketchy at this time, but a new version of Mary Norton’s classic book fits in appropriately with Disney’s continuing desire to tap into the Harry Potter/Lord Of The Rings market and deliver elaborately filmed stories for all the family.

Look for the theatrical release of the “new and improved” Bedknobs And Broomsticks in two years time.
    Animated News » Bedknobs and Corpse Brides
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• A Weather Eye Open

i love bedknobs and broomsticks. i watched it over and over when i was little. i'd prefer they didn't remake it, and i doubt it will be as good if i do, but i guess if they make it i'll just avoid seeing it (the way i have with all the unsavory stuff disney releases, like straight to dvd sequels)
    hopefully this isn't still in the works, since we haven't found any recent updates on it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)