• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'John Carter of Mars'

Stanton Puts Spin On
    John Carter Of Mars

AnimationWorld Network
    September 26, 2008

Pixar's Andrew Stanton, who is currently writing and directing JOHN CARTER OF MARS, revealed that he and co-writer Mark Andrews want to put their own spin on the Edgar Rice Burroughs books, per SCI FI WIRE.

As for the look of the film, Stanton told reporters in group interview at the Pixar headquarters in Emeryville, California Thursday that," I'm going to do what I remember more than what they exactly do" in the books.

Stanton, who directed WALL-E, is deep in the writing process with Andrews. "Writing, it's all about writing this year," he said.

Pixar General Manager Jim Morris also said the film will not look like earlier adaptations, "Everything that's been out there has been an attempt to kind of capture this Deco-esque [Frank] Frazetta vision of JOHN CARTER, which I think feels old and stale," he said. "And where Stanton is going -- from what we've seen so far -- is very different than that. And I think that the people who really love the essence of the books will really dig it, but so will audiences in general."

When asked if the film would be created in 3-D, Morris said, "I hope not!", breaking from the new Hollywood rule that more 3-D is better.

Burroughs, the author of the TARZAN series, wrote the JOHN CARTER series in the early 20th century, centering the tale on a Civil War veteran who is transported to Mars and gets involved in various Martian wars and intrigues.

Morris would not confirm whether JOHN CARTER would incorporate live action into Pixar's traditionally animation-only slate, as had been rumored. "JOHN CARTER is in its very early stages and there is much to figure out about that so we'd be premature," Morris said. "We are looking at a variety of different approaches and techniques for that ... We're kind of a bit early in the development of that.

Morris added, "I'm sure I speak for all of the science fiction geeks, fans and aficionados when I say it's finally time to see that movie. And I, for one, am delighted that Andrew Stanton is the guy that's making the movie, because he's a story-driven guy."
    AWN Headline News

'John Carter of Mars' - 6/7/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/9793...rter-mars.html

• Senior Minion

Re: 'John Carter of Mars'

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    "I'm going to do what I remember more than what they exactly do" in the books....

"... this Deco-esque [Frank] Frazetta vision of JOHN CARTER, which I think feels old and stale..."

..."I think that the people who really love the essence of the books will really dig it, but so will audiences in general."...

..."We are looking at a variety of different approaches and techniques... "

..."I'm sure I speak for all of the science fiction geeks, fans and aficionados..."

..."And I, for one, am delighted that Andrew Stanton is the guy that's making the movie, because he's a story-driven guy."

Well, that scares the hell out of me...
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler