BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'thor' 2010

Posted: Sun., Sep. 28, 2008, 9:00pm PT

Branagh in talks to direct 'Thor'

Brit set to wield hammer on Marvel Studios pic

Branagh
    By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Kenneth Branagh is negotiating to direct "Thor," the next Marvel Comics property that will be turned into a live-action film by Marvel Studios. Pic will be released in 2010.

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige's choice of Branagh is surprising, as Branagh hasn't really directed an action-heavy film since his debut on "Henry V," a bloody telling of the British king's conquest of France.

Branagh is the latest in a string of directors -- such as Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), Christopher Nolan (the Batman franchise) and Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") -- with arthouse roots taking on big-budget comicbook fare.

Marvel will set a distributor for "Thor" shortly.

"Thor" comicbook adaptation, penned by Mark Protosevich, follows disabled medical student Donald Blake, who has an alter ego as the hammer-wielding Norse god Thor.

Marvel will self-finance the film via its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel used that coin to fund both "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk"and will do the same for the "Iron Man" sequel that has director Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr.. returning.

The "Thor" negotiations come during a resurgence for Branagh. He's currently drawing raves on the London stage in the title role of "Ivanov," and he'll next be seen acting in the Richard Curtis-directed "The Boat That Rocked" and the Bryan Singer-helmed "Valkyrie."
    Entertainment news, movie reviews, awards, festivals, celebrity photos, industry events - Variety
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

Re: 'thor' 2010

What an interesting choice. I look forward to following this film as it progresses.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Daniel Craig Says NO to THOR

Written by Stephanie Sanchez
    IESB.com
    Monday, 20 October 2008

James Bond has invaded Beverly Hills today with stars Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko and director Mark Forster attending the press day for the 22nd Bond film Quantum of Solace.

IESB's Robert Sanchez talked with both Olga and Daniel, who actually had a bit to say about another widely known hero, THOR, who is currently set up over at MARVEL for a 2010 release with Kenneth Branagh attached to direct.

IESB asked if Craig was interested in doing something a little different character-wise, like Thor?

Craig said no, he turned it down and laughed about it.

Sanchez continued, “seriously, I heard the folks over at Marvel had you on a short list to be Thor.”

Craig said yes they [Marvel] did approach him but he turned it down. He added jokingly, it would have been too much of a power trip, both Bond and Thor, and running around with long hair and a hammer.

Personally I think they would have had to use some major CGI to make Craig look bigger and taller, THOR was by no means a small man, not to say Craig is either, but his stature certainly doesn't fit the bill.

The search for THOR continues!
    IESB.net - Movie News, Reviews, Interviews and More! - Daniel Craig Says NO to THOR
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

As long as they don't get some stupid Wrestler or ex-athelete to be Thor, I'll be okay.

I really like the approach Marvel has taken with getting actual GOOD actors to play these roles. As for who could play Thor ... not sure.

Although, despite my earlier comment about a stupid wrestler, I don't think Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would be a bad choice. He's done enough movies now that I don't think of him as a Wrestler anymore.

• Happy Memories

Yeah, I really don't see him as the right choice anyway. I'll be curious who they do get though. Marvel has thus far made some great choices in picking great actors and directors instead of just bankable names as other studios often do with this kind of film.

• Oo-de-lally

I herd Brad Pitt was contacted about the role. Also a WWE wrestler named Triple H. The wrestler actually looks like Thor but he probably can't act. He was in the last Blade movie.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Circle of Ancients

I totally can't see Brad Pitt in the role. Not for one second.

• far, far away from DL

Triple H would look great as Thor but might have to take some more acting classes.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ok all I can think of now is that line in the 3rd Aladdin movie where the Genie is talking to "celebrities" arriving for Aladdin & Jasmine's wedding at the beginning...

Genie: And who are you?
    Thor: I'm Thor
    Genie: Your Thor?
    Thor: Well it hurts.

Stupid, but I nearly busted a gut laughing the first time I heard that.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ok all I can think of now is that line in the 3rd Aladdin movie...
    Is this the part where you always tell us how much you hate sequels?

Anyway, anyone else think they're looking for Jason Statham's phone number? Also Gerard Butler looked pretty great holding a shield in '300'.

• Happy Memories

There's a difficult line they have to walk in the casting of this and Captain America. Considering the timeline for Marvel films of building towards the Avengers film, they need strong enough actors to hold their own opposite the guys they already have in place (Downey, Jackson and Norton if he returns), yet they also need a big enough name to draw as the lead in each character's origin film, but they also have to make sure these actors don't come at such a high price tag that Avengers becomes ridiculously expensive. I certainly wouldn't want to be in charge of making these decisions, but it's fun to see how it plays out.