• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Beverly Hills Chihuahua': Disney goes to the dogs once more

Disney goes to the dogs once more with 'Chihuahua'
    By Susan Wloszczyna
    USA TODAY
    October 2, 2008

Few trailers this summer yanked the chain of moviegoers as much as the Busby Berkeley-ish extravaganza for Beverly Hills Chihuahua, opening Friday. There was just something about headdress-wearing pups dancing around an Aztec temple.

Not to worry. This is Disney, home of Goofy and Pluto. You could fill a kennel with all its movie-star bowsers through the years. There's even another canine caper, the animated Bolt, out Nov. 21.

Why so many doggy tales? "Walt Disney was a dog lover, and he was his audience," says Disney expert Leonard Maltin. "He didn't need focus groups. Since he liked dogs, other people must, too."

This new tail-wagger about the pampered pocket-size Chloe (voice of Drew Barrymore), who gets lost on a trip to Mexico, has all four paws planted in Disney tradition. Imagine Lady and the Tramp meets Homeward Bound south of the border with pooch-empowering messages.

Director Raja Gosnell is used to people confessing that they enjoyed the film more than they expected. "The trailer did its job, it got them talking," he says. But Gosnell knew his movie, whose dog-talk technology makes the menagerie in Babe look like mere mumblers, was a different animal. "The script was great. It is respectful to Latin culture. We always had positive reactions at screenings."

Papi, the trailer's main attraction, was originally a much smaller part, says comic George Lopez, who speaks for the working-class Chihuahua. But after he recorded the scene when a desperate Papi is turned down by lady love Chloe even though he tells her he will "lick inside your ears," the filmmakers fell for his romantic come-ons and enlarged his role. "I just called upon all my years of rejection," Lopez says. "I just kept seeing all the girls."

There are a few edgy touches that distinguish this PG outing. For one, Chloe is put into a dogfight. "We tried to be sensitive," Gosnell says. Then there is Sebastian, Chloe's fey pug pal spoken by Michael Urie, who plays the fey Marc on TV's Ugly Betty. Is he a gay woofer? "He's not gay," the director insists. "He's effete."
    Disney goes to the dogs once more with 'Chihuahua' - USATODAY.com

• Fin...noggin...duuude!

Re: 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua': Disney goes to the dogs once more

I actually have to go see that. My friend is coming over this weekend and my mom is FORCING me too. And to think I have to give up The Dark Knight for this....

• Oo-de-lally

This movie looks so bad. Although I still think it will make a lot of money. I personally will not see this.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Fin...noggin...duuude!

It was actually kind of cute...in a weird way. I still can't believe I gave up Dark Knight for this.

• My liver hurts!

I just came from seeing the movie at El Capitan!! Very Cute!! I enjoyed....although it did have its sappy parts but very quirky!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

• Hall Of Promise

This movie is doing great in my area, I am shocked!!! The passed two days have seen near to sellout crowds. I haven't seen the movie yet, or plan on seeing it, but I do admit I am a bit stunned that this movie is looking to be the hit for the weekend.

• Animation Domination

Estimate on Friday it already made over $7 million.

My estimate guess for this weekend would be over $20 million.

• World Traveler

There was a huge line to see it at my neighborhood theater.

The movie got some pretty good reviews. Looks like a cute family movie. Estomates put it at 29-30million for the weekend beat "eagle eye" for number one with over 12 million

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Chihuahua' top dog at boxoffice

'Eagle Eye' falls to No. 2

By Gregg Kilday
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Oct 5, 2008, 01:15 PM ET

Disney's "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" broke out of a crowded pack to take best of show at the weekend boxoffice.

The movie full of conversing canines -- Drew Barrymore leads the voice cast as pampered pooch Chloe, who must fend for herself south of the border -- took in an estimated $29 million, posting Disney's biggest October opening by easily surpassing the $22.1 million that "Ladder 49" grabbed in 2004.

With six wide releases jostling for attention, none of the other newcomers could fend off continuing strength on the part of DreamWorks/Paramount's thriller "Eagle Eye." The Shia LaBeouf starrer fell by just 39% in its second weekend as it collected an estimated $17.7 million to bring its domestic boxoffice cume to $54.6 million.
    With the exception of "Chihuahua," the audience was fragmented, but the balkanized boxoffice still made for a busy weekend at the North American multiplexes.

According to Nielsen EDI, the top 10 films' total haul of $91 million was up 11% over last weekend's, and it amounted to a 44% jump over the comparable weekend last year when the top-grossing movie, "The Game Plan," grossed $16.6 million.

"Chihuahua," directed by Raja Gosnell -- who's demonstrated a knack for barking up to family audiences since he also helmed the two "Scooby-Doo" movies -- handily commanded the attention of the kiddie set. Families comprised 70% of its audience, according to Disney, while unaccompanied couples represented 12% of the crowd and 11% were teens.

Although at one time Disney had contemplated making the PG-rated Mandeville Films/Smart Entertainment production a summer release, it ultimately opted for an October rollout in 3,215 theaters that should give it clear sailing until Disney's own "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" arrives on Oct. 24.

"We saw a void in the market," Disney distribution president Chuck Vianne said. "And in a weekend with seven new films, we were able to bring out a family comedy that everyone could go for."
    'Chihuahua' top dog at boxoffice

Thumbs up Re: 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua': Disney goes to the dogs once more

When I was going through upcoming movies specially focused on " Beverly Hills Chihuahua " a Disney movie seems like good movie. Pets are nicely arranged as it was on the trailer Beverly Hills Chihuahua - a Disney movie back in action I watch. Can it get up to charts is it possible to watch in family.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I saw it on Sunday with my family and we all really enjoyed it. The movie is so much more than the previews. There is actually a sweet storyline involving the the little dog getting lost in Mexico and trying to get back home. I'd say it was worth the price of the ticket.

• Senior Minion

You know at first I was like WTH ... why THIS movie from Disney. Yet the commercials got to me and I ended up going to see it with my boyfriend and sister at the El Capitan, and surprisingly enough I enjoyed it. The plot line isn't too bad and is a great family movie.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Chihuahua' bites 'Body' at boxoffice

Talking dog film earned $17.5 million during weekend

Reuters
    via The Hollywood Reporter
    Oct 12, 2008, 12:47 PM ET

"Beverly Hills Chihuahua"

The new terrorism thriller "Body of Lies" failed to take the top spot at the weekend box office in North America on Sunday, becoming the latest victim of moviegoer aversion to movies dealing with Middle East intrigue.

The $70 million Warner Bros. film, starring Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio as American spies, had to settle for the No. 3 slot with $13.1 million, behind reigning champ "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and the new low-budget horror "Quarantine."

"Beverly Hills Chihuahua," a Walt Disney Co family comedy with a cast of talking dogs, earned $17.5 million during the three days beginning Friday, taking its 10-day haul to $52.5 million.

"Quarantine" followed at No. 2 with $14.2 million. The $12 million film was released by Screen Gems, a unit of Sony Corp. Also new was Universal Pictures' $38 million football drama "The Express," which dropped the ball at No. 6 with just $4.7 million. The studio is a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal.
    'Chihuahua' bites 'Body' at boxoffice

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

For such little dogs, they sure do have long legs There seems to be a lot of pent up demand for a family film right now.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast