• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney & other studios prep major film production

Posted: Tue., Oct. 7, 2008, 9:00pm PT

Studios prep major film production

Cameras ready to roll despite SAG stalemate

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

After mostly sitting on the sidelines since the June 30 expiration of the SAG contract, studios are preparing to put 40 or more films into production between spring and summer.

Hundreds of millions of dollars in production financing will be committed to fill slates for 2010 and 2011, signaling the end of the de facto thesp strike that has kept pic production at a low ebb for nearly a year.

With a handful of exceptions, the majors mostly stopped greenlighting films in October 2007, which led to a large number of productions that wrapped before June 30.

Studios are ready to replicate that pre-strike rush by creating the same kind of boom market for production starting early next year. Studio toppers are moving forward with a healthy level of anxiety. The recent credit crunch wonít impact the next batch of film starts, execs said, because that money has already been secured and budgeted. And thereís clear evidence that audiences will continue to come to theaters, even if the economy remains in the toilet by the time these films are released.
    DISNEY
    • Tim Burton-directed "Alice in Wonderland"
    • "Tron" sequel
    • Robert Zemeckis-produced motion-capture film "Mars Needs Moms";
    • Jon Turteltaub-directed "The Sorcererís Apprentice" with Nicolas Cage
    • Walt Becker- helmed "Wild Hogs 2"
    Studios prep major film production - Entertainment News, Front Page, Media - Variety

• Vasooki-land Owner

Re: Disney & other studios prep major film production

Please, as much as I love Tim Burton, please don't let him ruin a classic! I don't think his style is right for Alice in Wonderland. Especcially if thats the idea the little kids will get out of it. Not the wonderful classic we all know, but the new Tim Burtopn one. I know I shouldn't be critisizing before I see the movie, but still Thats what I thyink about the idea of the movie.

EDIT- wrong thread. :/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasooki View Post
    Please, as much as I love Tim Burton, please don't let him ruin a classic! I don't think his style is right for Alice in Wonderland. Especcially if thats the idea the little kids will get out of it. Not the wonderful classic we all know, but the new Tim Burtopn one
    If he were directing an animated remake of the 1951 classic I could understand your trepidation. However it would appear he's working at a look possibly closer to Lewis carroll's vision rather than Walt Disney's.

Little kids won't be marching to the box office with their own wallets and credit cards. Parents are free to show them the original on DVD or video anytime, forever.

As always I look forward to what Tim Burton has in store for us.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm all for a Tim Burton version of Alice In Wonderland, provided that the knuckleheads who run Disney don't get the idea to do a Tim Burton version overlay to the existing Alice In Wonderland ride!

Oops! Sorry guys -- too late. I hope I haven't already planted the seed.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm all for a Tim Burton version of Alice In Wonderland, provided that the knuckleheads who run Disney don't get the idea to do a Tim Burton version overlay to the existing Alice In Wonderland ride!
    If it makes $400 million+ worldwide it just might
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006