Could Disney become part of Apple?

Here's a situation I'm thinking of, and tell me if this could in theory happen. Since the merger with Pixar, Steve Jobs is now the majority shareholder and part of the board of directors over a Disney. Now, could he, possibly roll his shares up into Apple, making Disney and all its interests become part of Apple? Just a situation I thought? Now could it happen? Would it ever happen?

• Minion

Re: Could Disney become part of Apple?

From how Apple rolls, I think it would actually be a good idea if Apple did take over Disney.

I dont want Disney being bought out by any other company. It would really wreck the brand for me.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Steve Jobs is not the majority shareholder. He is the largest individual shareholder. He, as a single person, owns more stock than any other single person, but nowhere near a majority. In total, Steve Jobs only owns about 7% of The Walt Disney Company.

I don't want Disney to ever be bought out by any company. Whether it be Apple or another company. The soul of the company is not what it was many years ago and I think if it was ever bought out, then everything Disney was would just disappear while the parent company made all kinds of cuts and did whatever they could to squeeze every dollar from Disney.

• Bangarang!

I don't want Disney to be owned by Apple. But Disney owning Apple? Hmmm....

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Hall Of Promise

They are two completely different companies. It wouldn't make any sense or do any good for either brand if one owned the other. The only good out of it is the possible profitability and extra income. But this is like saying Costco and the NFL should merge, or The Home Depot and NBC/Universal.

The one strategic benefit I see right off the bat would be for the iTunes Store. It is always a smart move and cuts cost to be your own provider to the content you create.

Also, this has nothing to do with the two companies, but all the Apple fans out there would cry foul because the vast majority of Disney uses and depends on Windows and Microsoft based communications and systems ranging from their PC's to their attraction technology. I know that wouldn't matter to Apple if taken over, or took over, but I know for a fact the fans would hate it since Apple has a huge fan base whom love everything Apple.

Disney needs to stick with entertainment for now. Maybe later they can branch out to other mediums.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Here is something else that would be lost if Disney were purchased by Apple.

Sony Pictures - Subsidiary of Sony Corporation
    Paramount Pictures - Subsidiary of Viacom
    20th Century Fox - Subsidiary of News Corporation
    Universal Pictures - ultimately a Subsidiary of General Electric (80%) and Vivendi SA (20%)
    Warner Bros. - Subsidiary of Time Warner

Disney is the last big studio where current management can be traced back to the days of just being a studio. Disney branched out; they have not been acquired by somebody else looking to branch out.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Here is something else that would be lost if Disney were purchased by Apple.

Sony Pictures - Subsidiary of Sony Corporation
    Paramount Pictures - Subsidiary of Viacom
    20th Century Fox - Subsidiary of News Corporation
    Universal Pictures - ultimately a Subsidiary of General Electric (80%) and Vivendi SA (20%)
    Warner Bros. - Subsidiary of Time Warner

Disney is the last big studio where current management can be traced back to the days of just being a studio. Disney branched out; they have not been acquired by somebody else looking to branch out.
    I was thinking the same thing. Disney is pretty much the last entertainment company that isn't just a "brand" of some enormous conglomerate that also produces Skippy peanut butter, manufactures a popular Japanese car and owns a 24-hour news channel.

Rather Steve Jobs than Rupert Murdoch, but it would be awfully nice if they could stay autonomous for a few more decades.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 10-18-2008 at 01:35 PM.

I believe there are laws that would prevent Steve Jobs from remaining a member of the Disney board if he intends to purchase the company as CEO of Apple. Basically he would be an "insider" at both companies and there are lots of conflicts of interest that could apply. Needless to say I doubt this will happen anyway...

• MC, this is LD

That would be so awesome if when my Mac turned on, it made the sound of entering Disneyland for the first time of the day.

• Super Genius

If I could afford it, I'd buy DIsneyland then clone Walt Disney and give it to him.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KAN View Post
    That would be so awesome if when my Mac turned on, it made the sound of entering Disneyland for the first time of the day.

While I do not know of a way to do it so that you replace the standard tune, you can set it up to do this when you log onto the computer.