Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Pinocchio' on Blu-ray 3/10/09

Pinocchio Blu-ray Set for March 10

AnimationWorldNetwork
    October 17, 2008

The film that taught the world to "Wish Upon a Star" shines brighter than ever when Walt Disney's original classic, PINOCCHIO: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition is released from the Disney vault on March 10, 2009. Available for the first time in high-definition and 2-Disc DVD, PINOCCHIO is brilliantly restored with enhanced picture and sound unlike anything you've ever seen or heard before. This classic story of magic, adventure and loyalty will be available for a limited time only and comes loaded with bonus features that unlock the doors to the magical world of PINOCCHIO.

The special 2-Disc Blu-ray release not only includes a bonus standard definition DVD of the classic animated film in the same package, allowing viewers the opportunity to enjoy PINOCCHIO on a standard def DVD while they are preparing to upgrade to a 1080p Hi-Def Blu-ray experience in the near to present future, but provides viewers accessibility to Disney's popular BD-Live Network, a backstage pass for Blu-ray Disc owners to chat, video stream, participate in communal games and download exclusive content unavailable to general DVD owners.

Walt Disney's second animated feature, PINOCCHIO debuted 70 years ago with vibrant hand drawn animation, universally loved music like the Academy Award winning original song WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR, and a touching story that made it an instant classic. Introducing audiences to the magical favorites of Pinocchio, Geppetto the puppet maker and the Blue Fairy, PINOCCHIO also marks the screen debut of a character who became one of Disney's signatures: the fast-talking, wisecracking Jiminy Cricket.

Join Gepetto's beloved puppet -- with Jiminy Cricket as his guide -- on a quest that tests Pinocchio's bravery, loyalty and honesty, virtues he must learn to become a real boy.

DVD BONUS FEATURES
    AWN Headline News

• Goofy

Re: 'Pinocchio' on Blu-ray 3/10/09

looking foward to the dvd.

• Animation Domination

Any artwork available yet?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney targets families with early-2009 slate

Pinocchio, Space Buddies get Blu-ray debut

By Susanne Ault
    Video Business
    10/17/2008

Space Buddies will be the first movie in the franchise to be released on Blu-ray.
    OCT. 17 | Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is kicking off 2009 with a bang, slotting 13 titles through the early part of the year, including bowing Pinocchio and its Buddies franchise for the first time on Blu-ray Disc.

Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition, streeting on March 10 (prebook Jan. 29) for $29.99 on DVD and $35.99 on Blu-ray, will feature two recently discovered scenes and an alternate ending. Space Buddies, coming Feb. 3 (prebook Dec. 23) for $29.99 on DVD and $34.99 on Blu-ray, will mark Disney’s third made-for-disc installment of the golden retriever puppy series, which is based on the studio’s 1997 theatrical Air Bud.

Disney also is rolling out in both formats summer Kevin Costner theatrical Swing Vote on Jan. 13 (prebook Dec. 2) for $29.99 on DVD and $34.99 on Blu-ray.

Over the course of 2009, families will be a major target in Disney’s efforts to expand Blu-ray adoption.

“We are now into the third year of the Blu-ray format, and now is the time to broaden it to families,” said Lori MacPherson, Disney general manager of North America. “We’re very happy with the percentage of Blu-ray sales on [Oct. 7 release] Sleeping Beauty. Now is the right time to demystify the technology.”

Other DVD titles soon rolling into retail are Dec. 30 (prebook Nov. 4) TV releases The Secret Life of the American Teenager: The First Season and Kyle XY: The Complete Season—Revelations, both for $39.99, and Greek: Chapter Two for $29.99.

Additional 2009 DVDs are Brideshead Revisited on Jan. 13 (prebook Dec. 2) for $29.99; Oliver & Company: 20th Anniversary Edition, Feb. 3 (prebook Dec. 23), $29.99; Bunnytown: Hello, March 17 (prebook Feb. 3), $19.99; Baby E: World Music, March 31 (prebook and price not set); School House Rock! EARTH, March 31 (prebook Feb. 3), $29.99; Handy Manny: Green Team, March 31 (prebook Feb. 17), $19.99; and MF Tigger & Pooh: Musical Too, April 7 (prebook Feb. 24), $26.99.
    Disney targets families*with early-2009 slate - 10/17/2008 - Video Business

• Animation Domination

Don't be shocked if Space Buddies is number one the first week it comes out. Remember Snow Buddies.

Don't understand why they're putting in a DVD version with the BD, is there a digital copy as well on the third disc? But, if they're putting a DVD in as a bonus, then they don't really need a seperate DVD version, which would help move more people over to Blu-ray now, and they could kill DVD by having the Blu-ray be the only one avalible.

• Circle of Ancients

Pinnochio is one of my favorite movies and I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray. The DVD that we have is the "Gold Collection" one that has no extras, etc.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible View Post
    Don't understand why they're putting in a DVD version with the BD, is there a digital copy as well on the third disc? But, if they're putting a DVD in as a bonus, then they don't really need a seperate DVD version, which would help move more people over to Blu-ray now, and they could kill DVD by having the Blu-ray be the only one avalible.
    I think it's a great idea. I have 3 TVs, only one with a BD. So, I'll be able to watch the new restoration on any of my TVs. Plus, I know people who don't have BD yet but are buying it because they know eventually they probably will and they can still watch it in the meantime.
    Mike

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with mccow.

Not only is a great idea for those that only have 1 Blu-Ray player ... but:

Also good for those who are planning to get Blu-Ray but haven't yet. We aren't buying ANY DVD's until we get Blu-Ray (Family Christmas present). But I would buy Sleeping Beauty right now because we can watch the DVD that comes with it. Were not buying Indy or Iron Man or Hulk right now because we can't watch them yet. But if they came with the extra DVD, we would have.

• Animation Domination

sir clinksalot Wrote:

The DVD that we have is the "Gold Collection" one that has no extras, etc.
    I have the Limited Issue of Pinocchio. Even the color is horrible looks like a VHS.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    sir clinksalot Wrote:

I have the Limited Issue of Pinocchio. Even the color is horrible looks like a VHS.
    Yes, it's basically a VHS transfer and not great at all. We have a few of the other ones like this (Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book, Hercules, Bugs Life). Although Bugs Life looks inherently better because it's Computer Animated.

• Rock Star Minion

Alternative ending? He stays a puppet and goes on to star in three more direct-to-disc sequels still trying to realize his dream of becoming a boy?

(I wrote this so Disney couldn't make them without shelling out the big bucks to me.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

It would make sense to just have one release with the Blue Ray, and DVD together, but in all fairness, DVD is still 99.999% of the market, and the standard DVD still sells for $10 less than the Blue Ray disc, so Disney does not want to confuse the market more than it has too.

Most people will seek out the DVD, if the few that grab the Blue Ray disc by mistake have a DVD they won't be stuck out in the cold with a format they can't use, and retailers won't suffer angry customer back lash.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I can't wait. Pinocchio was one of my favorite Disney movies when I was a kid, and I look forward to it coming out on a two-disc DVD.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I'm excited about Pinocchio's 2-disc DVD release, but is Blu-ray really necessary? Unless a movie was originally shot in digital, Blu-ray adds nothing that plain old DVD didn't add already. How much more picture and sound quality can you pull out of a 70-year old movie?
    Last edited by disneytim; 10-20-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast