Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

MiceChat Scary Film Festival 2008

Recommend 5 of your scary movie picks!

Here are a few of mine in no particular order:

'Session 9' 2001 - filmed on location at CREEPY Danvers State Hospital in Massachusetts, starred David Caruso, Josh Lucas and Peter Mullan.
    Terrific storyline, terrorific atmosphere.

'Alien' 1979 - A Ridley Scott masterpiece, a "haunted house" set in deep space featuring H.R. Giger's unforgettable monster. Made a movie star out of Sigourney Weaver with a superb cast.

'The Others' 2001 - Alejandro Amenabar wrote and directed this seriously unsettling film starring Nicole Kidman, some spooky children, a huge house and some nice twists.

'London After Midnight' 1927 - starred the immortal Lon Chaney, easily one of the most horrific screen characters ever created...without computers.

'Night of The Living Dead' 1968 - The title say it all. Shooting it in black and white was both genius and affordable for George A. Romero. Alex Garland & Danny Boyle's 2002 '28 Days Later...' and it's sequel ( and many others) owe alot to this original.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 10-20-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: MiceChat Scary Film Festival 2008

Ooooh, great thread!!!!

In no particular order:

An American Werewolf in London (1981) - The first movie that absolutely scared the crap out of me. The scene where David Naughton transforms from human to wolf was exceptionally creepy and totally awesome.

Bram Stokers Dracula (1992) - I love Vampires. They are just so cool. IMO, Gary Oldman's portrayal of Dracula is probably the best ever.

Halloween (1978) - The slasher movie that's so great, it is hard for me to just call it a "Slasher" movie.

Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) - Yeah, not scary, not really all that funny, but I love it all the same.

The Exorcist (1973) - The Devil scares me. Nuff said.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    An American Werewolf in London (1981) - The first movie that absolutely scared the crap out of me. The scene where David Naughton transforms from human to wolf was exceptionally creepy and totally awesome.
    Thanks!

What a great choice scary & funny, Griffin Dunne was such a wonderful rotting complaining mess!
    I remember seeing that film at The Rialto Theatre in South Pasadena (the same one featured in 'The Player' and 'Scream 2'), it was built in 1925 and is of course supposed to be haunted! It was also a cold & rainy night and the power all went out during the film! Aww c'mon!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I'll try to go off the beaten path.

The Changeling--has nothing to do with Clint's latest endeavor. But it has everything to do with a ghost.

Audition--One of the few times I started to feel warm during a movie and physically had to stop the film and recompose myself.

I want so badly to put some Hitchcock movies down..but those are more thrillers...

Since some of mine were already taken, I'll go ahead and add some creative touches:

28 Days--Awesome zombie movie-the second act is a bit of a letdown, but it is still pretty good.

Seven--Frankly, anything made by David Finschner is worthwhile in some respect.

Poltergeist--Being a writer, I've yet to figure out the formula for a decent ghost story. I usually start remembering the points in this movie and then go from there.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Oo-de-lally

1. Halloween (1978) - IMHO the best horror movie of all time
    2. Halloween 2 (1981) - Not as good as the first one but still a good movie
    3. Scream (1996) - Only the first 15 min of this movie is scary but those 15 min are so intense
    4. The Exorcist (1973) - The backwards crawl down the stairs made the whole movie for me
    5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - I did not like all the other ones but the first one rocked
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    28 Days--Awesome zombie movie-the second act is a bit of a letdown, but it is still pretty good.
    '28 Days' with Sandra Bullock sentenced to rehab. Only mildly scary!

'28 Days Later...' as mentioned above, fabulously scary stuff.

And yes, David Fincher is one of the best. 'Se7en' is a classic and his 'Alien 3' had some nice creepy, jumpy moments.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Bram Stokers Dracula (1992) - I love Vampires. They are just so cool. IMO, Gary Oldman's portrayal of Dracula is probably the best ever.

Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) - Yeah, not scary, not really all that funny, but I love it all the same.
    Transylvania 6-5000....Love that movie. Now, I'll have the theme stuck in my head all night.

Did you know Johnny Depp was supposed to play keanu's part in Dracula? Man, THAT would have been awesome!

My picks....

Dracula...Dead and Loving it. Sorry, HUGE Mel Brooks fan. I just love funny movies.

Add, Young Frankenstein to the list too.

Sleepy Hollow..Johnny Depp....drool.

Scream 1.....it's the epitome of teen scream movie. I was a teenager when it came out...loved it then...still like it now.

And, then....just because me and my dad love to laugh at them SO much.....one of the oldies....Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman!
    Last edited by Stitchy; 10-20-2008 at 05:12 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    '28 Days' with Sandra Bullock sentenced to rehab. Only mildly scary!

'28 Days Later...' as mentioned above, fabulously scary stuff.

And yes, David Fincher is one of the best. 'Se7en' is a classic and his 'Alien 3' had some nice creepy, jumpy moments.

WHOOPS! I know, well, you caught me...I was at work and, well, probably distracted.

In fact...it was a test to see who was paying attention. You get a cookie now!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Race Car Driver

Evil Dead 1981.........way too scary
    Evil Dead 2 1987
    Motel Hell 1980........... scary
    Exorcist 1973
    Candyman 1992
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Happy Memories

In no particular order:

Halloween (78)

Poltergiest

Scream

House of 1000 Corpses

Dracula (31)

• MC State Comptroller

Order by release...

Night of the Living Dead (1968) The finest Zombie film of all time hands down.

The Exorcist (1973) Every time i watch this, I have to sleep with a nightlight.

Race with the Devil (1975) 70's occult schlock meets interesting and somewhat frightening storytelling.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) "When there is no more room in hell the dead shop!" The first 10 minutes are scarier to me than the whole movie.

The Shining (1980) One of the few times i think the movie is better than the book.

Evil Dead (1981) I don't think it is too frightening, but it is one of the most enjoyable horror movies ever made.

Poltergeist (1983) Proof positive that little girls can be very scary, oh and smoking pot is wrong.

The Stand (1994) I am one of the few King fans that find this miniseries well thought out and scary.

Shaun of the Dead (2004) The best horror/comedy of all time.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) How remakes of classic films should be. It pays it's respect to it's predecessor, but adds enough new moments to make it enjoyable and not a blatant ripoff.

Sorry for the length, you get me talking about horror films and i can go off!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Fortuosity!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Psycho (1960)

The Birds (1963)

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

And the rest of the Universal Monster movies
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

My short list...and bear in mind, some of these feature extreme gore and darkness...

Inside A genuinely unnerving and extremely bloody French film concerning a pregnant woman alone on Christmas eve, and a supremely creepy crazy lady who wants in to take her baby...the hard way.

Poltergiest For my money, absolutely the best PG rated horror film of the eighties. Classically insane and dark for the rating, the maggot steak scene, the face melting, the killer clown doll, and that evil tree as well as the coffin launched corpses at the end. A lot of fun and very twisted, one of the best films Steven Spielberg produced in the eighties.

Psycho Another classic...huge bonus points for the reveal of Norman's mother at the end, a truly great scare and well constructed film with awesome acting and famously creepy moments.

CandymanA very smart, even sad film considering the fate of the title vengeful spirit/character, with great decaying urban locations and sense of menace even when Tony Todd isn't popping up covered with bees and a hook for a hand. Nice overlay of racial and social issues as well, with a mix of urban legend thrown in.

The Descent A truly harrowing film to watch, both psychologically uncomfortable as we watch a group of female friends turn on each other slowly as things get really bad, and unrelenting on the gore front and with some horribly creepy creature designs. You can practically smell and feel the textures of the caves and the injuries and gore in this movie, very gritty and visceral and dark.

Well, there's my short list heh....I could go on and on and on...

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Rides against injustice

Halloween-The original and still the best

Nightmare on Elm Street-ditto

The Grudge-One of the few newer horror movies that freaked me out

Shaun of the Dead-A great horror/comedy and it has one of the best endings for any zombie movie

IT-The first part really. The second part of the film slows a bit too much
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Halloween

Nightmare on Elm Street

The Exorcist

Poltergeist