Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

Song of the South...

All...

Wondering if anyone has access to the original "Song of the South." Like a digi video or a converted VHS copy.

I was reading Data's thread on the connection between the movie and Splash, and I've gotten really curious to see the movie now.

Also, what is everyones opinion on the PC issues in the movie? I thought we (humans in general) were past that?...

Thanks! I MISS DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!
    Kenny
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• =)

Re: Song of the South...

Copies pop up on eBay and so forth, I'm sure. As for the PC issues...well, I think I've pretty much presented my views on them in their entirety, but nothing wrong with restating them, perhaps more succinctly this time. I absolutely can see how some people get a little uncomfortable with the film, but there are several things that make the whole thing rather silly, IMO:

* There are no slaves in the film, only paid servants.
    * All three main animated characters "sound black", which means that no single stereotype is being promoted. (Except perhaps the speech patterns, which seem fairly accurate; I don't see how that could be racist.)
    * Uncle Remus, a black man, is clearly the hero of the story. The little white boy learns a lot from him.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Every so often converted copies of it show up on Ebay. I bought one years ago. And no I will not sell or give you a copy, MiceChat frowns on that sort of behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• We Want The Redhead

They are available in various places around the 'net, but all are unofficial. Some dubbed from once licit European copies, some from Japanese with English subtitles.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post

* All three main animated characters "sound black", which means that no single stereotype is being promoted. (Except perhaps the speech patterns, which seem fairly accurate; I don't see how that could be racist.)
    it's fairly accurate? Why si that. I have no proof black people talk or used to talk like that other than the stereotypes I've seen in movies. Like most stereotypes there may be a bit of the truth in them, but they are usually way out of proportion to what actually was/is.

I tried watching the movie once. I found it to be very boring and I really did not like how they had the black man talking. I realize the movie was made a long time ago, but I found it to be in very bad taste.

I've got the Japanese Laser Disc that was offically released in the 1980's, It's one of my favorite movies. I would hope that Disney someday would give it a "Disney Treasures" type of Special Edition release in the U.S.

Have you tried YouTube?

I bought the video at Euro Disney when the park first opened, but the video I bought is not a regular VHS it is PAL. We have a VHS player that also plays PAL tapes because my husband's family is from England and he has a lot of videos especially music videos he purchased in England so we have always had a PAL player.

Just google it and you'll find it.
    Matthew

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Just google it and you'll find it.
    true, I found the dvd fro $17.99.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Here is a web site you can look at for Song Of the South DVD
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

PC, that's a bunch of bunk by Disney who doesn't want to "rock the boat". Disney has a cartoon of a little girl who eats mushrooms and drinks potions! I just wished they would grow up, and release the movie. I for one have not seen it and would love to.

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    Here is a web site you can look at for Song Of the South DVD
    anyone ordered from them before?

they look a 'bit shady...no security stamps on their website and no option for paypal.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• I'm not really here

I honestly don't think there are any pc issues beyond the ones we create ourselves. Walt was definitely not a prejudiced person as the racial divide was not very prevalent at all in CA, not to mention he fought for James Baskett to receive an academy award for his work on the film.

The story is a wonderful one which has some very significant lessons for us today. The young child of a white family sitting at the foot of the elderly Uncle Remus and listening to his stories of friendship and adventure. As far as the child is concerned, Uncle Remus is every bit as valid a person as his parents are.

There is much that we can still learn today from this humble and unclouded child's perspective on the world, as well as the stories of Brer Rabbit and company themselves.

As to historical accuracy, there is a fair amount actually. The movie was based on the stories written down by Joel Chandler Harris between 1880 and 1905. Harris actually lived on a plantation when he was 16 (1861) in Atlanta, GA. It was here that he heard the stories told by African-Americans working the plantation. These stories were part of their oral traditional folk-lore. The stories have roots in very old "trickster" animal figures throughout African folk-lore. Harris is by no means the first person to write these stories down. Robert Roosevelt (uncle to Theodore Roosevelt the President) wrote them down as early as 1840 - 1850. They were published in Harper's but did not do well at all. Robert heard the stories from an Aunt of Theodore Roosevelt who was from Georgia and "knew all the Bre'r Rabbit tales by heart." (From Theodore Roosevelt's biography)

Harris' version of the stories became widely popular among both white and black readers as they were accurate re-tellings of the original stories that had been passed down for generations and because he preserved the dialect in his re-telling of the stories.

The Disney re-telling of the stories preserves the dialect used in the original stories.

My father used to do the voices of all the characters amazingly well and I grew up listening to these stories. They were popular requests from the whole family at reunions.

We may not be proud of that particular part of our history and I would hope that we have come far enough that we are able to look back objectively and learn from our mistakes. Hiding from our past is the surest way to fall back into the same errors. It is also a sure way for the truth of our past to be forgotten. The truth that these tales represent a significant and important part of African-American and African tradition, passed down for generations and faithfully recorded for their beauty and adventure by a white man who learned them as a boy... much as 7 year old Johnny learned them from Uncle Remus.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 11-06-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: (corrected spelling error)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I'm personally offended that a blonde haired blue eyed English girl would carry on with cats and rabbits and playing cards.

• MC State Comptroller

The Capitalist in me realizes that Disney has every right to release, re-release, or not release anything in their catalog no matter how much people may want them to. Not to mention the fact that Disney is going to start releasing all of there movies again in the BluRay format as are most distributors. If Disney feels it is in their best interest not to release "Song of the South" as a company then they don't have to

However...

The anti-PC guy in me thinks Disney is passing up a great opportunity to release a classic film just because they are worried about what some loud voices, who may have another agenda, shout from the rooftops about how derogatory and racist this movie is, most of the time without even seeing it!

With all the supposed controversy this movie has, i doubt we will ever see this on DVD shelves. Disney is a company that cow tows to the loudest voices in the choir, while ignoring it's parishioners!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast