Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

what's the best movie ever and do you think disney are making crappy movies now?

What disney movie do you think is the best and why does disney make junky movies now such as hsm and hannah montana movie?
    Last edited by disneyboi92; 11-08-2008 at 09:29 PM.

• Characters are my friends

Re: what's the best movie ever and do you think disney are making crappy movies now?

I like the 2 Narnia movies myself.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Fortuosity!

Re: what's the best movie ever and do you think disney are making crappy movies now?

My personal favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks (the longer cut) but best would be one of:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Pinocchio
    Fantasia
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Pollyanna
    Swiss Family Robinson
    101 Dalmatians
    Cinderella
    Lady and the Tramp
    The Parent Trap!

or films that have really stood the test of time and were/are enjoyed by many generations.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Oh you mean Disney movies?

The Fox and the Hound

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I do not think Disney is making all crappy movies right now. Go see Bolt.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Disney is making SOME crappy movies these days, Country Bear Jamboree Movie comes to mind first of all. Haunted Mansion is another dud (although some of the ghost effects and costume were very nice).

BUT they have had some spectacular blockbusters, most notably the Pirate movies, and Those would certainly be on my favorite Disney movie list. Some other others would be Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King,Tarzan, Hercules Little Mermaid, Snow White, Roger Rabbit, Mary Poppins, George of the Jungle, Cool Runnings, Happiest Millionaire, Swiss Family Robinson, Apple Dumpling Gang

• Senior Minion

Best: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and to answer your second question crap makes $$$$$
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Senior Minion

I don't have an over all favourite Disney movie (Roger Rabbit comes damn close though)

Enchanted was good and recent.

I don't approve of HSM and Hannah Montana but since they are popular with a certain demographic, who am I to complain? As long as Disney are doing something successful, us Disney fans should be pleased. Remember that there was a period in the early '80s when Disney didn't do anything right and nearly disappeared completely.

I did think that the POTC sequels and the Nania movies were crappy though.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Remember that there was a period in the early '80s when Disney didn't do anything right and nearly disappeared completely.
    Well Tron, Midnight Madness, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Watcher in the Woods and Return to Oz all have their cult following now and I think the ones I bolded are far more creative and exciting than most of what Disney has done this decade.

and Tex was a critical success and Fox and the Hound didn't do too bad either, but ya, I get where your coming from. Nobody took notice of Disney in the early 80s like they could have.

• Fastest Man Alive

The Lion King & Aladdin. Everything clicked with those two.

Folks who think that HSM and Hannah Montanna are junky are just not the intended audience. I haven't watched the Hannah Montana movie, saw part of an episode on TV and that was enough for me...ever.
    But HSM? C'mon, it's like a modern West Side Story. Not in terms of story, but in terms of a musical number sensation. Look at it for what it is, and it is a really good movie. Not into musicals or big dance movies? Then don't worry about it.
    You want to talk about junk? Talk about "Home on the Range" and "Chicken Little". I think Disney is done with that mess. "Meet the Robinsons" and "Bolt" were not great, but a sure sign that Disney is on the road to recovery.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    But HSM? C'mon, it's like a modern West Side Story. Not in terms of story, but in terms of a musical number sensation. Look at it for what it is, and it is a really good movie. Not into musicals or big dance movies? Then don't worry about it.
    The sound you hear is Leonard Bernstein spinning rapidly in his grave!

I am 'into musicals and big dance movies' and find HSM to be an abomination. It can hardly be described as 'a good movie' by anyone who has experienced even a portion of puberty. The 'plot' is terrible, some of the performances are amateur (and thats being kind) and the script smells so badly of cheese that it attracts mice. The score is mostly forgettable and has only come into the public conciousness following interminable repeated playings. The choreography is quite good but is let down by some frankly rubbish direction.
    The only good thing I can say about HSM is that it has opened up musicals as a valid subject of interest to many young people. I only hope that these kids are graduating to watching West Side Story etc and then realising just what HSM is - badly-written fluff.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    The only good thing I can say about HSM is that it has opened up musicals as a valid subject of interest to many young people. I only hope that these kids are graduating to watching West Side Story etc and then realising just what HSM is - badly-written fluff.
    I think that's the heart of it. I WAS being overly charitable by comparing it West Side Story. But my comparisson more had to do with popularity and such. I think we can agree that HSM being an abomination is a bit harsh as well. I freely admit that I am not into the genre, as the only thing I own that could be considered a musical would be 'Blues Brothers' and 'Blues Brothers 2000', so granted, I am no authority on acting or choreography

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I think that's the heart of it. I WAS being overly charitable by comparing it West Side Story. But my comparisson more had to do with popularity and such. I think we can agree that HSM being an abomination is a bit harsh as well. I freely admit that I am not into the genre, as the only thing I own that could be considered a musical would be 'Blues Brothers' and 'Blues Brothers 2000', so granted, I am no authority on acting or choreography
    Um, ya that comparison was just a tad bit generous.

Unfortunately, your not the only one who doesn't have authority on the genre, it's all the kids who like it who have yet to be exposed to any musical that existed before 1986.

To go back to the original topic question, what separates the great Disney films from the past and stuff today is the appeal to both kids and adults (or better yet, the appeal to adults more so than kids). Disney today makes and strictly markets films for specific age categories now in order to make the most amount of profit. Making sure mom and dad aren't bored to tears is less important than getting them to buy all the merchandise coming with the film. There's nothing wrong in marketing a film to kids or selling merchandise to them, but if you want a big hit or something that kids will keep with them when their older, you have to appeal to more than one age demographic. Walt knew this and that's why we still talk about stuff like Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna and 20,000 leagues etc today, decades after their initial release. Could you say the same thing about Confession of a Teenage Drama Queen? You could argue that Disney's re-issue policy helps, but if the public didn't care for these films their re-issues wouldn't be welcomed and enjoyed.

• Animation Domination

Best Movie: Finding Nemo/ The Lion King

Worst Movie: High School Musical 3 and all Disney Channel Original Movies

• King of Los Angeles

My favorite Disney Movies Top 20

The Incredibles
    POTC:The Black Pearl
    High Fidelity
    Toy Story 1 & 2
    Who framed Roger Rabbit
    Peter Pan
    Tron
    Wall-E
    Ratatouille
    National Treasure
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Lion King
    Aladdin
    Mary Poppins
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    The Rocketeer
    Nightmare befor Christmas
    Armageddon
    Dick Tracy

Several of these were created in the last 10 years! I think Disney is doing fine. The Duisney Channel properties are intended for a younger audience, but there is quuality as well!
    Last edited by BuzzedLightyear; 12-18-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast