BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Captain America' 5/6/2011

'Captain America' recruits director

Joe Johnston will helm the comic adaptation from Marvel

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 9, 2008, 10:00 PM ET

Captain America

Joe Johnston has inked a deal to direct "First Avenger: Captain America," Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

No writers are on board, but the studio, which is hearing pitches, expects to hire shortly.

Johnston first met with Marvel two years ago. When the two parties clicked, general talks turned into Captain America-specific meetings, with much of the project's current direction resulting from those early conversations.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for 'Star Wars,' who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' " Feige said. "From 'Rocketeer' to 'October Sky' to 'The Wolfman,' you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

Created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon for Timely Comics, Captain America is the heroic alter ego of Steve Rogers, who is rejected by the Army for being too sickly and undergoes an experiment that takes him to the pinnacle of human form. Paired with an indestructible shield, he became a symbol of the war effort, in and out of comics.

The character disappeared in the 1950s but was revived during the early era of Marvel Comics. He was reintroduced as part of the Avengers, the absence explained by having him being in a state of suspended animation during a war mission until found by the superteam.

Kicking off with "Iron Man," Marvel Studios' slate of movies --including "Thor" and the "Iron Man" sequel -- is building toward an "Avengers" movie set for release in 2011, in which the characters from the films team for one big adventure. "Captain America" is scheduled for release May 6, 2011.

"Captain America" will be a World War II-set movie, and the character will appear in the modern day-set "Avengers." Executive producing on "Captain" are Louis D'Esposito, Stan Lee and Marvel Studios' chairman David Maisel.
    CAA-repped Johnston's credits include "Jurassic Park III" and "Hidalgo." He is in post on Universal's retelling of "The Wolfman," starring Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins.
    'Captain America' recruits director

Johnston also directed 1991's 'The Rocketeer' for Walt Disney Pictures
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 'Captain America' 5/6/2011

Very cool, I think the movie is in great hands.

So I'm assuming that The Avengers movie won't be coming out until AFTER Captain America???

I wonder who they'll get to play him.

The Avengers is suppose to come out July 15, 2011.
    hmm... just realized ill be turning 21 5 days before it comes out. lol

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I always did have a thing for a buff man in a tight spandex outfit with a huge..... shield

• Disappearing/Reappearing

my husband is SOOOOO excited about this movie. His favorite superhero is Captain America...ever since he heard they were making one, he's been excited. I'll have to show him this info.

• Animation Domination

So I guess we are going to see Red Skull in this movie.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Johnston also directed 1991's 'The Rocketeer' for Walt Disney Pictures
    I agree with others that this film is in excellent hands now. But perhaps my biggest hope with JJ being hired is that Disney finally releases a remastered version of The Rocketeer for Blu-ray!!!!!! Watching my DVD on my PS3 is fine but also provides a constant reminder of how much better it deserves to look with each and every scene.

• MC State Comptroller

Glad to hear that they are keeping their commitment to creating a Marvel/Avengers franchise. Once they establish the characters and make a good movie, then they can put more focus on The Avengers and create a sustainable, enjoyable franchise like fox (i believe) did with the X-men.

Now the question becomes which star they are going to go after for the role of Captain America. Unless they change some things, Cap is a focal point of the avengers so they need to select someone with chops enough to carry the individual movie, but not someone big enough to overshadow the other actors in The Avengers. Matt Damon, Aaron Eckhart, Viggo Mortensen and the dark horse candidate (no pun intended) Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

PS. I actually liked the 1990 direct to video "Captain America" movie. I thought it was low budget and had lots of promise, but it was entertaining and a step forward in comic book movies.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Captain America' enlists two scribes

Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely in negotiations

By Borys Kit and Jay A. Fernandez
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 18, 2008, 08:47 PM ET

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely are in negotiations to pen Marvel Studios' "First Avenger: Captain America." The dealmaking occurs about a week after Joe Johnston boarded the project as director.

Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

Created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon for Timely Comics, Captain America is the heroic alter ego of Steve Rogers, who is rejected by the Army for being too sickly and undergoes an experiment that takes him to the pinnacle of human form. Paired with an indestructible shield, he becomes a symbol of the war effort, fighting Nazis and villainous scientists like the Red Skull.

In modern times, the character starred in his own long-running comic series and also was a charter member of Marvel's superteam, the Avengers.

Kicking off with "Iron Man," Marvel Studios' slate of movies -- including "Thor" and the "Iron Man" sequel -- is building toward an "Avengers" movie set for release in 2011, in which the characters from the films team for one big adventure. "Captain America" is scheduled for release May 6, 2011.

Marvel's "Captain America" will be a World War II-set movie, and the character will appear in the modern day-set "Avengers."

Markus and McFeely, repped by UTA, worked on "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and its sequel, "Prince Caspian." The duo also wrote HBO's "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia94c7ef2006ea33de94da72dc191a8cc
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006