• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Miley, 'HSM3' & 'Wall-E' to dominate music at Oscars?

Miley Cyrus, Oscar Winner?
    (Yes! Scream! It's possbile!)

The idea that Miley Cyrus could soon reign in the Oscar pantheon beside Katharine Hepburn, Barbra Streisand and Oscar Hammerstein II may seem preposterous, but, hey, stop laughing! Seriously, it could happen this year.

If the animated flick "Bolt" is a box-office hit when it opens next week, then it'll be a serious Oscar contender especially in the music categories. That's where Miley Cyrus could be a contender in the race for best song, since she not only croons "I Thought I Lost You" with John Travolta, but she shares writing credit with Jeffrey Steele.

Disney films dominate the song category, of course. Heck, three tunes from "Enchanted" got nominated last year. Sure, they lost to "Falling Slowly" from "Once," but tunes from six Disney films have won best song over the last 20 years: "Tarzan," "Pocahontas," "The Lion King," "Aladdin," "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid."

However, Miley Cyrus' Oscar hopes face a serious obstacle and lots of Disney competition. "I Thought I Lost You" plays over the film's end credits. That's usually a bad thing since nominees are decided by members of the music branch who watch videos to see how the music is incorporated into the film. Songs that are showcased in dramatic action like "Falling Slowly" have a strong edge.

There are lots of other Disney songs this year too. There's "Down to Earth" from "Wall-E" which is sung by Peter Gabriel (over the end credits, alas). And four tunes are being campaigned from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" "I Want It All," "A Night to Remember," "Scream," and "Can I Have This Dance?" According to new academy rules, only two tunes from a film may be nominated, down from three last year.

Assuming two "High School Musical 3" songs get in, there are lots of other strong contenders this year too, such as "Jai Ho" the joyous grand finale of "Slumdog Millionaire."

There's also Bruce Springsteen's "The Wrestler" from the Mickey Rourke film of the same name, Will.i.am's "Traveling Song" from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa," Jennifer Hudson's "All Dressed Up in Love" from "Sex and the City," Alicia Keys' and Jack White's "Another Way to Die" from "Quantum of Solace" and Jamie Cullum's song co-written with Clint Eastwood for "Gran Torino."
    Miley Cyrus, Oscar winner? (Yes! Scream! It's possible!) | Gold Derby | Los Angeles Times

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Miley, 'HSM3' & 'Wall-E' to dominate music at Oscars?

For all the bad rants Miley Cyrus gets on MiceChat, you have to admit she has talent. I think this girl will be here for the long haul. I wish her luck.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I didn't care for the songs in Bolt or Wall-E. Score might be nominated for Wall-e, But not the songs. can't comment on HM3, haven't seen it.

• Fortuosity!

I hope "Down to Earth" will win, and I think there is a good chance it will.

If any song from HSM3 does I'm gonna spit. Now how many times I've had to listen to "I Want it All" at work I still thinks it's awful.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Banned User

The Miley/Travolta song is decent, but HSM3? OSCAR?

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Aladdin; I LOVED "Down to Earth" and thought it fit the rest of the score perfectly. It probably won't win since it's an end credits song, but I think the end credit sequence of Wall-E as a whole deserves some recognition of some sort - it's genious (at least for art nerds like my friends and I)
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Fairies and Mermaids!

I had actually mulled over the possibility of HSM3 at the Oscars myself, but also sort of wrote it off. Will it get in? Maybe. The songs are original and catchy and take place in the story. Should they beat Peter Gabriel? Not in my opinion, even though I love them all. Well, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed for our favorites and wait and see, now won't we?

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• DCA FTW!

Down to Earth deserves it, even though it was in the end credits that part of the credits still added to the story.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If Disney wins one award from the Oscars this year (thats not from Wall-E) then there judgment in movies is worst than a child's. 30 years ago Stars Wars and did not win best picture and now HSM3 could win a award.....that is just f...ed up to movie lovers.
    Last edited by JerrodDRagon; 11-21-2008 at 07:50 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    30 years ago Stars Wars won nothing and now HSM3 could win a award.....that is just f...ed up to movie lovers.
    Movie lovers know that 'Star Wars' won 7 Academy Awards out of the 11 categories it was nominated in. Best Song was not one of them though.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^sorry I ment to say best picture and best director, since we all know those are the real awards movies go for. I'm just saying HSM and Miley are should not even be spoken about at these awards. Yes Both HSM and Miley are huge hits but kids and tweens but should not even get considered for awards.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

All Academy Awards are real awards as winning even one can add additional revenue at the boxoffice and sunsequent home video releases, rentals and cable & broadcast sales.

I'd take any song from 'Bolt' or 'HSM3' to be added to the AMPAS history books over an Oscar winner like "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" anyday.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I'm rooting for Down to Earth. Despite it being a great song, I'm a HUGE Peter Gabriel fan.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^That would be great. Or BBBBBBRRRRRRUUUUUCCCCCEEEEE could win again!!!!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006