Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Eisner Comments on Disney: AP Interview 9/9/05

AP Interview: Eisner Comments on Disney
    Associated Press - 9/9/2005

AP Interview: Michael Eisner Says 'Turbulence' at Disney Was Part of Doing Things Better
    By William Foreman, Associated Press Writer

HONG KONG (AP) -- Michael Eisner said Friday that the "turbulence" at the Walt Disney Co. during his reign as chief executive was just part of trying to do things better at one of the world's biggest entertainment companies.

Eisner, who survived a shareholder revolt last year, reflected on his 21 years at Disney as he planned to step down as CEO when his contract expires in three weeks. He spoke to The Associated Press at his company's newest theme park, Hong Kong Disneyland, which opens Monday.

With the new "Space Mountain" dome behind him, Eisner seemed upbeat and enthusiastic about his Disney departure and avoided naming some of the people he battled with in his last years at the helm.

One of the biggest conflicts was with Michael Ovitz, a Hollywood superagent Disney hired as president in 1995. Ovitz clashed with Eisner and other executives, and he left 14 months later with a US$140 million severance package.

The payment sparked a shareholder derivative trial, and a U.S. court ruled last month that Disney's board didn't breach its fiscal responsibilities by paying Ovitz the money.

Eisner shrugged off the stormy periods at Disney.

"You should have seen the turbulence at my fraternity house," the 63-year-old executive said.

"There is turbulence. Life is turbulence. Life isn't only Disneyesque," Eisner said. "Disneyesque is the end result of trying to do it better. A lot of people don't like to try to do things better. A lot of people like to take the easy road, short cuts. Some people even take the unethical cuts. We've never done any of that."

Eisner said that hiring Ovitz wasn't his worst decision. He said his biggest mistake was acquiring baseball star slugger Mo Vaughn for the then Disney-owned Anaheim Angels team. Vaughn was paid US$80 million, but he injured his ankle in his first game for the team.

Acquiring Vaughn "was the worst personnel move I've ever made or approved, worse than the one you're probably thinking about," Eisner said, in an obvious reference to Ovitz.

"The only time I've ever had conflict is when someone was trying to compromise either our ethics or they were trying to compromise the quality of our products."

Eisner praised the man slated to be Disney's next CEO, Robert Iger, currently the company's president and chief operating officer. Iger joined Disney in 1996 when the company acquired Capital Cities/ABC, where Iger was president and chief operating officer.

"We have a great new CEO," Eisner said about Iger. "I've known him a decade and he understands broadcasting. He understands the creation of product."

Eisner said Hong Kong Disneyland, the company's 11th theme park, would be a big hit. He said the attraction would be like Disney's first park in Anaheim, California, in 1955. Like the United States, Asia doesn't have a castle culture, so the park will be novel.

"Asia never really had a big Disney presence. It did not know the Disney product. It was not a castle-oriented environment," he said.

He added, "I believe overtime this will be, as it is now in Japan, one of our biggest properties in the world."

Hong Kong Disneyland said that about 40 percent of its customers will come from across the border in mainland China. Eisner said that the Chinese would be good customers because they like family entertainment.

"A company that pays attention to the family unit is a successful company," Eisner said. "We don't isolate the family. We don't make rides that say, 'Hey mom, dad, you go sit on the bench.'"

Eisner declined to say what he plans to do next. But he hinted that he still wanted to be involved in a major entertainment company, saying he wanted to be involved "in a large scale, not a one-off scale."

"I can't imagine that I wouldn't do anything that wasn't in the area of making fun and watching audiences be excited," he said, "whether they're watching a DVD or in a Broadway theater or an ice show or a big movie screen or on a cell phone."
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Re: Eisner Comments on Disney: AP Interview 9/9/05

I posted this news article here... Just to let all you guys pick appart these comments... Because, I never heard such garbage in my life... I had to laugh at some of these comments...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

He spoke to The Associated Press at his company's newest theme park, Hong Kong Disneyland, which opens Monday.
    Eisners company??!! EISNERS COMPANY??!! Since when Did Disney become Eisners company?! It is Walt Disneys company and forever will be! Eisner was just in charge of it for the last 21 years.

• U. B. Bold

What a pompous, arrogant, self serving jerk. He must define "trying to do things better" as driving the company into the ground and milking the brand for every ill-earned penny he could. Goodby and good riddance. Don't let the Mouse kick you in the *** on the way out.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Rock Star Minion

I found this to be funny:
    He added, "I believe overtime this will be, as it is now in Japan, one of our biggest properties in the world."

Hong Kong Disneyland said that about 40 percent of its customers will come from across the border in mainland China. Eisner said that the Chinese would be good customers because they like family entertainment.

"A company that pays attention to the family unit is a successful company," Eisner said. "We don't isolate the family. We don't make rides that say, 'Hey mom, dad, you go sit on the bench.'"
    Well, yes you did. And it's one reason why you're going away.
    The other reason is that you have actually squelched the turbulence since Frank died.

His general philosdophies on how to run a company are pretty good. How he actually ran the company especially since Frank died, was pretty bad.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I honestly think Disney should have two CEO's in charge just like Eisner and Wells. Therefore the two CEOs will hopefully have two different point of views that will combat each other rather than having one point of view that can make stupid decisions without anyone arguing against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I honestly think Disney should have two CEO's in charge just like Eisner and Wells. Therefore the two CEOs will hopefully have two different point of views that will combat each other rather than having one point of view that can make stupid decisions without anyone arguing against it.
    WELL SAID!
    I agree.

• Disney Memory Maker

I honestly think Disney should have two CEO's in charge just like Eisner and Wells.
    Wells wasn't a CEO. He was the president (which is the role Bob Iger currently plays) of the company & Eisner was the CEO.

I'm not going to comment on the article itself (I've written in enough Eisner threads, my opinion is in enough places on Micechat

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Wells wasn't a CEO. He was the president (which is the role Bob Iger currently plays) of the company & Eisner was the CEO.

I'm not going to comment on the article itself (I've written in enough Eisner threads, my opinion is in enough places on Micechat

-Michael
    True, but Wells had enough power back then to put Eisner in his place without getting fired.

• My laughing place

OMG !! This man is SERIOULY deluded !! He really needs somepne to put a straight jacket on him so he can make a nice little home in a padded room somewhere..
    Has anyone read Disney War ?? The shareholders KICKED him OUT(!!) and now he's trying to put a positive spin on it ?? He is sooo sad !!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DsnyFvr
    OMG !! This man is SERIOULY deluded !! He really needs somepne to put a straight jacket on him so he can make a nice little home in a padded room somewhere..
    Has anyone read Disney War ?? The shareholders KICKED him OUT(!!) and now he's trying to put a positive spin on it ?? He is sooo sad !!

Pretty Much. I guest he is happy that he screwed up disney for his own selfish greed. Great Job Eisner

sarcastically speaking

Eisners brain must be as big as a strand of his hair.....Oh wait, I correct myself, Eisner pretty much has no hair! LOL

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

No Shortcuts?

"The only time I've ever had conflict is when someone was trying to compromise either our ethics or they were trying to compromise the quality of our products."

WHAT THE ********************************???????????!!!!!!!

Sure, George Lucas doesn't want to update Star Tours because
    he is trying to compromise the quality of the product!!

And That's why Eisner has so many arguments with with
    other Hollywood notables ~ because THEY were the ones
    who were compromising Quality. Eisner has been the saint
    all along.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP, So glad I booed him on May 5th.

• Former Epcot CM

Eisners company??!! EISNERS COMPANY??!! Since when Did Disney become Eisners company?! It is Walt Disneys company and forever will be! Eisner was just in charge of it for the last 21 years.
    Michael Eisner has, for the last twenty one years, being Chief Executive Officer of the Walt Disney Company. In financial terms, the Walt Disney Company is not Eisner's company, but the property of many people who own shares in. I think what AP is trying to get across is that for 21 years, Michael Eisner has been top dog at the Company. It makes me wanna when I read trash like I just did. It was hardly ever Walt Disney's company, for most of it's life it has been public, and sorry, whatever ties Walt had to the company vanished in December 1966. And by the way, if Eisner wanted to build a theme park in, say, Russia, tomorrow, he could. Until September 30, Eisner is still top dog.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Michael Eisner has, for the last twenty one years, being Chief Executive Officer of the Walt Disney Company. In financial terms, the Walt Disney Company is not Eisner's company, but the property of many people who own shares in. I think what AP is trying to get across is that for 21 years, Michael Eisner has been top dog at the Company. It makes me wanna when I read trash like I just did. It was hardly ever Walt Disney's company, for most of it's life it has been public, and sorry, whatever ties Walt had to the company vanished in December 1966. And by the way, if Eisner wanted to build a theme park in, say, Russia, tomorrow, he could. Until September 30, Eisner is still top dog.
    Oh I know, but disney is Walt's baby. Sure he created it with the help of shareholder money, but it is the creator who it belongs to. It is just like when parents have a baby. Family members may send them money to support the baby, but just because they send money does not mean that they own the baby. The creators of the baby own the baby.

• Former Epcot CM

It was just that you made it seem outrageous that AP referred to the company as Eisner's. Well it sort of is Eisners, not technically, but he says goes.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California