Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'Public Enemies' Johnny Depp & Christian Bale 7/1/09

'Public Enemies' muscled it's way to the top three at the box office with a two-day total of $14.8 million.

'Transformers,' 'Ice Age' battle for top - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I saw it tonight and I thought it was pretty good. It started off slow but overall it was entertaining with lots of violence and action. It also had some funny parts in the movie and of course Johnny played a very charismatic Dillinger. ~swoon~

Christian Bale was just has charismatic on screen.

Nancy Witt mentioned the costumes and I agree with her. I just love that Chicago feel and look. Bale, Depp, and Marion looked hot. Can't wait for this to come out on DVD for my Depplicious collection.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Have not seen it yet

• Goofy

i just came from the movies and I saw that. I thought it was okay. yeah the beginning was rather slow and kinda complicated to understand. the best parts were in the middle towards the end and that's about it. I wouldn't call this great. its decent at best. I did love abusive interragator cop acting scene. to me this movie is kinda confusing for me to understand and whats is happening. i would say the 80's version is truly great.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think the main problem with this film is that it wants to be a Dillenger-centric movie, but it is based on a book that isn't solely about him. The movie was very slow at the start and for me, there was never any real plot. I love Johnny Depp, but I don't feel he was given great material to work with here. Christian Bale seemed wasted in what was a seemingly minor role with the film wanting to be about Dillinger, but never quite making it there. Depp and Bale are basically on screen together for one very short scene and their characters don't seem to have any real emotion towards one another considering one is trying to hunt down the other during the movie.

Now, maybe this is a problem with the fact that there just isn't all that much that is interesting about Dillinger other than his being a famous bank robber. The fact that he was a "hero" to many at the time is never really established, which is a shame since that's a major part of why he was so infamous.

I can see it getting a Best Picture nomination, but only due to the fact that there are 10 nominees this year. I would love to say that Depp deserves a nomination, but I really don't feel he should get one for this film.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I agree Anders. This film was about Dillinger but I walked out of the film not knowing much about him. Which is a shame, because he seemed like an interesting character. Why did he rob banks? What was his background? Why was he a hero? I wanted to know more but the movie didn't tell me much. I think Johnny did the best he could with what he had to work with.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Public Enemies' five-day domestic box office total is $41 million, higher than its projected $30 million range.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I agree Anders. This film was about Dillinger but I walked out of the film not knowing much about him. Which is a shame, because he seemed like an interesting character. Why did he rob banks? What was his background? Why was he a hero? I wanted to know more but the movie didn't tell me much. I think Johnny did the best he could with what he had to work with.
    The film was mostly based off a great book Public Enemies by Byran Burrough. It is a very good book and focuses on both - the bank robbers(Dillinger, Alvin Karpis, The Barkers, Baby Face Nelson, Bonnie and Clyde, Pretty Boy Floyd, etc.) and the newly founded FBI (J. Edgar Hoover, Melvin Purvis, Samuel Cowley, etc.). This is a remarkable period in our nation's history and I think that it is a shame that it often gets skipped over. This is one of the few moments in history that is exclusively ours...

Why did he rob banks? He got involved with crime when he was a young man...He commited a petty crime and recieved a heavy sentence...while in jail he began to make shady friends. After that he started a life of crime...it was a thrill that he always wanted and it was the money he needed during the Depression...

What was his background? He was a farm boy from Mooresville, IN. His mother died when he was a toddler. Dillinger was always trying to impress his father and get his attention, but never could. His father remarried and Dillinger was raised by his older sister, Audrey. He wanted to make his father and sister proud...

Why was he a hero? Dillinger was a hero because during the Depression people were angry at the government and the banks who they perceived as the cause of their troubles (not unlike today). Dillinger was seen as a sort of Robin Hood figure who stole from the rich to get back what the people deserved. He won America's heart because he was just a farm boy who got a bad break. He was charming, handsome, suave and not the usual criminal type.

Well, anyway, pick up Public Enemies this summer to read by the pool... books are ALWAYS so much better than movies!! You will enjoy it!!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree...books are usually so much better than movies. But, there's one major flaw. The book doesn't star Johnny. LOL

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

This is true, this is true! Everybody needs a little Johnny!

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I think the main problem with this film is that it wants to be a Dillenger-centric movie, but it is based on a book that isn't solely about him. The movie was very slow at the start and for me, there was never any real plot. I love Johnny Depp, but I don't feel he was given great material to work with here. Christian Bale seemed wasted in what was a seemingly minor role with the film wanting to be about Dillinger, but never quite making it there. Depp and Bale are basically on screen together for one very short scene and their characters don't seem to have any real emotion towards one another considering one is trying to hunt down the other during the movie.

Now, maybe this is a problem with the fact that there just isn't all that much that is interesting about Dillinger other than his being a famous bank robber. The fact that he was a "hero" to many at the time is never really established, which is a shame since that's a major part of why he was so infamous.

I can see it getting a Best Picture nomination, but only due to the fact that there are 10 nominees this year. I would love to say that Depp deserves a nomination, but I really don't feel he should get one for this film.

I couldn't agree with you more there. you just took my words out of my mouth lol. and that was the answer i was looking for. its a good movie and im going to see it again because maybe I will understand it a little more better and I may have missed the beginning as well.

• Goofy

its true the books are really the best. it makes you smarter and it entertains you as well in your imagination.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i would say the 80's version is truly great.
    The 80's version?

I saw the movie a couple of days ago. I have mixed feelings. I thought the costumes and look of the sets and people were great. I was a tad confused by the "look" of the cinematography. He shot HD, but then didn't do anything to it, didn't sweeten it like in previous digital films he shot.. in the theater I saw it in, there was also a bit of a "flicker" sorta... the film would get brighter, and dimmer in different moments within the same scene. I don't know if that was the projector, or if that was what was shot.

I thought the acting all around was great, but that the story didn't give the audience enough insight into...well into ANYTHING. That was frustrating. I thought they started at an odd moment in the story. We are dumped into the middle of his story without ever getting to understand why that moment. I thought both Depp and Bale did well, but there were no real scenes that ever let us know more about the characters.

I enjoyed the film, but was left wanting, and not in a good way.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Thanks for the info Lolo. That is an exciting time in our history, I just wish the movie could have picked up more of Dillingers background. But I understand that a director only has a certain amount of time to tell a story. That is when the book comes in handy.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    The 80's version?

I saw the movie a couple of days ago. I have mixed feelings. I thought the costumes and look of the sets and people were great. I was a tad confused by the "look" of the cinematography. He shot HD, but then didn't do anything to it, didn't sweeten it like in previous digital films he shot.. in the theater I saw it in, there was also a bit of a "flicker" sorta... the film would get brighter, and dimmer in different moments within the same scene. I don't know if that was the projector, or if that was what was shot.

I thought the acting all around was great, but that the story didn't give the audience enough insight into...well into ANYTHING. That was frustrating. I thought they started at an odd moment in the story. We are dumped into the middle of his story without ever getting to understand why that moment. I thought both Depp and Bale did well, but there were no real scenes that ever let us know more about the characters.

I enjoyed the film, but was left wanting, and not in a good way.

that was in my mind during the movie, it felt something missing which is more on the story to which leads to the questions on why and etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast