Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: 'Public Enemies' Johnny Depp & Christian Bale 7/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I agree...books are usually so much better than movies. But, there's one major flaw. The book doesn't star Johnny. LOL
    In my head, it does!

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    In my head, it does!
    So right... I have to keep reminding myself that John Dillinger was not Johnny Depp and Johnny Depp is not John Dillinger... which was sometimes hard to do when reading the book because Dillinger was often called "Johnnie" by family and friends...

• "I Break Things"

I liked the portrayal of the time. I also enjoyed how Johnny demonstrated Dillinger's trademark attitude. What bothered me was the obvious twisting of facts to support the movie... most notably the death of Baby Face Nelson... which was one of the largest gun battles in crime history! Floyd's death is also slightly fudged. I felt that they forced both into a condensed movie because they were mentioned in the book. The director could have simply focused on Dillinger and had a great, accurate movie!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

[QUOTE=techskip;1055435996] What bothered me was the obvious twisting of facts to support the movie... most notably the death of Baby Face Nelson... which was one of the largest gun battles in crime history! Floyd's death is also slightly fudged. [QUOTE]

Yes! I couldn't stand the way that Baby Face Nelson died in the movie! It is in no way historically accurate. The battle that finally took Nelson down was an insane gun fight resulting in two speciality agents dead (including Samuel Cowley) and Nelson being shot 17 times (if I remember correctly). Nelson escaped then drove for hours to try and find help...his wife and gang member friend were with him until the end. He was not shot at Little Bohemia like the movie portrays, he was shot on a highway outside of Chicago and his body was later founded in a ditch outside of the city.

Pretty Boy Floyd's death also wasn't exactly accurate, but much more so than Nelson's...I was not sure why it was in the movie. The only purpose that it served was to exemplify what was happening during this time.

I loved the guy that played the role of Alvin Karpis. Although he played a small role in film he was almost the exact image of the real life Karpis. It was creepy.

All around I loved the movie. Johnny Depp did an amazing job with Dillinger, hopefully he will be up for a nom....

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
    Yes! I couldn't stand the way that Baby Face Nelson died in the movie! It is in no way historically accurate. The battle that finally took Nelson down was an insane gun fight resulting in two speciality agents dead (including Samuel Cowley) and Nelson being shot 17 times (if I remember correctly). Nelson escaped then drove for hours to try and find help...his wife and gang member friend were with him until the end. He was not shot at Little Bohemia like the movie portrays, he was shot on a highway outside of Chicago and his body was later founded in a ditch outside of the city.
    Baby Face Nelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

does a good job of explaining it.

Pretty Boy Floyd's death also wasn't exactly accurate, but much more so than Nelson's...I was not sure why it was in the movie. The only purpose that it served was to exemplify what was happening during this time.

I loved the guy that played the role of Alvin Karpis. Although he played a small role in film he was almost the exact image of the real life Karpis. It was creepy.

All around I loved the movie. Johnny Depp did an amazing job with Dillinger, hopefully he will be up for a nom....
    Depp and Bale both did amazing in their roles. Floyd was hit getting out of a car, not in an orchard. And again the timeline is all over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Baby Face Nelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

does a good job of explaining it.

Depp and Bale both did amazing in their roles. Floyd was hit getting out of a car, not in an orchard. And again the timeline is all over the map.

Floyd was shot in an orchard in East Liverpool County, Ohio (Burrough 466). I thought it would have been neat to have his last words(which were ******* you) in the movie. It would have better shown the war that was going on between the FBI and the bank robbers. It is a perfect example of how, even in death, these men would not give in to the Bureau that was hunting them.

• "I Break Things"

Eight of the participants in this search--a squad of four FBI Agents led by Melvin Purvis, along with a squad of four East Liverpool, Ohio, police officers headed by Chief of Police Hugh McDermott--were jointly patrolling a group of roads south of Clarkson, Ohio, in two cars on October 22, when they noticed an automobile move from behind a corn crib on a farm. The officers had been questioning all persons whom they saw; and in an effort to question the occupants of this automobile, they stopped their cars. At this point, the vehicle that had attracted their attention drove back to its original position behind the corn crib, and a man whom the officers immediately recognized as Floyd jumped from the car with a .45 caliber automatic pistol in his right hand.
    As the officers reached Floyd, he said, "I'm done for; you've hit me twice." They took the pistol from his hand and also seized a second gun that he carried in his belt. Then two FBI Agents left to summon an ambulance to take Floyd to a hospital. They were accompanied by a local citizen who had witnessed the encounter. Two other local citizens, including the owner of the farm where the shooting took place, also were witnesses to the action that had occurred. Floyd died about 15 minutes after he was shot.
    From Federal Bureau of Investigation - FBI History - Famous Cases

Also http://www.eastliverpoolhistoricalso...bf-diagram.jpg and article
    http://www.eastliverpoolhistoricalsociety.org/pbfloyd1.htm

My point is that he was hit while running out of a car.

• "I Break Things"

Here is the one on "Baby Face" Nelson
    Federal Bureau of Investigation - FBI History - Famous Cases

And of course Dillinger
    Federal Bureau of Investigation - FBI History - Famous Cases

Also a recap of Little Bohemia
    Lessons at Little Bohemia