Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

What's the deal with Pocahontas?

Why is it that Pocahontas is so despised? My friends claim that I am the only person in the whole world who likes it. I watched it again today and still have no reason to dislike it.
    So?

• It's all nonsense

I don't see anything wrong with it.

• e komo mai

Well, I for one didn't care for it, but I didn't hate it.
    I think it had the misfortune to be released after the Lion King and B&B hype.
    I thought the villain was boring, that Pochontas looked too much like a model and I really can't stand Mel Gibson. (Even his voice.) I also hated the whole Disney-fied world that was portrayed with Pochontas hanging out with a raccoon, talking tree and humming bird. It could have worked, but for me it just didn't.

Oh, and the slow motion Pocahontas running superimposed over a fight scene was really hokey.

I liked some of the songs.

• Zapp's Minion :D

It's an okay movie. I like some of the songs and I can't stand Mel Gibson either.

Has anyone seen Pocahontas 2?

• Doing it with a flair

I actually haven't seen Pocahontas yet been I know plenty of people that enjoyed it.
    Pocahontas 2 however... wait-why don't we have a smile that is throwing up? _insert puking smile here_

• Practically Perfect

I also hated the whole Disney-fied world that was portrayed with Pochontas hanging out with a raccoon, talking tree and humming bird. It could have worked, but for me it just didn't.
    They kinda did the same thing with Mulan...and I didn't think it was bad. These movie do have to appeal to small children. I thought Pocahontas was good.

• Minion

I don't really like pocahontas. Don't really know why either...

• no flash photography...

I never saw it...I have no desire to see it...I know it's a cartoon, but it's not true to history, but it's based on history and I think it should follow history.

I liked Pocohantas. I love Meeko! He is so cute! How can you not like Meeko??

The only thing I didn't like was that she had the largest bust size out of all the Disney heroines, it just seemed ironic that she was a double decker on top and she did more running and leaping about than any other.

• Rawr...

At the time it came out, I was in my "ewww, girls have cooties" stage, so I didn't see it until recently...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Santa Barbara, CA

It's such a blatant PC movie. The characters are fine, but it's another guilt movie.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

It's politically correct, stilted and self-serious (but hardly deep), bastardizes true history for an agenda, very procenium-like in staging - geared to Earthbound Broadway blocking instead of visual/animation invention, dull, characters lack caricature and personality and warmth/relatability, cute comedy-relief characters exist in a separate world unrelated to the main plot.

Pretty art direction though.

Or as my senior citizen mother said, unprompted, after watching part of it on TV: "Who did they make that for? It's not for kids... It's not for adults... It's not for anybody." "Welcome to the new Disney," I replied.

• Social Imagineer

Well, I rather like Pocahontas. It kinda falls apart in the third act, but I think it's one of the less-flawed post-Aladdin films.

The title character is easily the sexiest animated woman ever, beating out even Jessica Rabbit. I love that the animals do not talk. I enjoy most of the songs, and I admire the unique color palette of the film. I do NOT find the move to be overly P.C.; its sensiblities are simply modern as opposed to archaic.

It's certainly not a perfect movie, and I concur with some of the flaws pointed out so far. But it's a fine film nonetheless, and brilliant when compared with some of the stuff that has come afterwards.

• Minion

>>The title character is easily the sexiest animated woman ever, beating out even Jessica Rabbit. <<

Disagree. I find Jessica way sexier than Pocahonatas... and also find Aurora, The Blue Fairy, Cinderella, Snow White, Alice, Wendy, Tiger Lily, the Mermaids, TinkerBell, Slue Foot Sue, Katrina, Daisy Duck, Maleficent, The Wicked Queen, Anita Radcliffe, Cruella DeVil, Bianca, Peg, Duchess, Jane Jetson, Judy Jetson, Gina Lolajupiter, Ann Margarock, Samatha Stevens, Jeannie, Josie, Melody, Valerie, Alexandra, Lois Lane, Jade, Bugs in Drag, Red Hot Riding Hood, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Cheetah, Sue Storm, Mrs. Herculoid, Sabrina, Betty, Veronica and Daphne all way more attractive than Pocahontas. But, then again, I'm gay!

>>brilliant when compared with some of the stuff that has come afterwards.<<

I'll reluctantly drink to that...

...but however one views it, Pocahontas began the downward spiral of dull, uppity, cartoon-deprived story material that characterizes the Tom Schumacher/David Stainton years of Feature Animation creative affairs (post-Aladdin).
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-21-2005 at 11:02 PM.

• Minion

...and of course, who could forget Mirage in The Incredibles... or Francesca in Mad Monster Party? Way sexier...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast