Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Infinitized!

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 9

The first treasure for next year's Walt Disney Treasures DVD line has been revealed on another message board.

If you bought 2 treasures from wave 8, you were eligible to get a free Zorro lithograph through the Disney website:
    Free Zorro Lithograph Offer

The lithograph comes with a flyer revelaing that the masked swashbuckler will be one of next year's treasures sets. Doesn't say what the contents of the two DVDs will be though.

Here's a quick Photoshop job I did of what the cover may look like:

No date has been revealed yet when the 3 or 4 WDT sets will be released.

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Walt Disney Treasures Wave 9

That's an interesting way to reveal an upcoming title.

• Senior Minion

Just recieved the final Chronological Donald title - the only one of this year's that interested me.
    I would like to see some of the Disneyland TV shows featuring Ludvig Von Drake put together on an upcoming title. Also Song of the South.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Just recieved the final Chronological Donald title - the only one of this year's that interested me.
    I would like to see some of the Disneyland TV shows featuring Ludvig Von Drake put together on an upcoming title. Also Song of the South.
    So does Lenny, he's hoping for one next year too.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

has anybody heard what some of the rumours of what the other titles will be?

Also, does anybody know if there are plans to release The Monkey's Uncle?

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by grouchochaplin View Post
    has anybody heard what some of the rumours of what the other titles will be?

Also, does anybody know if there are plans to release The Monkey's Uncle?
    I'm watching the UD forums if anthing comes up. There could be an announcement any time now since it's February. If I recall, it was around this time that an announcement was made last year.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Have they given a date on when Zorro is supposed to be released?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Barbossa, do you know what happened with all the Dr. Syn discontinuation?

• Fortuosity!

The Monkey's Uncle is currently a Disney movie Club Exclusive. It has also been released to the itunes store where it can be rented but not bought.

No Zorro date yet.

Discontinuation? You mean they just ran out of those 39,500 copies they made right? 'Cause that's what happened.

As a side note Iger apparently doesn't like the WDT line. Just thought that was interesting.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

yea i found monkeys uncle on itunes today, but its def a movie i would want to own.

amazon had it as the company (disney) discontinued it. but that makes sense. Do you think they will ever produce more? i did see them at disneyland over the weekend, but they were selling them without the tins.

it seems like if disney has a fan base thats not centered around Hannah Montana, then they just dont care about it. The WDT are some of the best produced dvd out there.

i really wish i had dvr back in the vault disney era.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Have they given a date on when Zorro is supposed to be released?
    Not yet. I'm hoping it will be like Wave 8 that was released on Nov 11 last year. Then you get a chance at getting it, rather than all those Christmas mobs nabbing it before the true collector's do.

Quote Originally Posted by grouchochaplin View Post
    Barbossa, do you know what happened with all the Dr. Syn discontinuation?
    It was a low run; 39,500 copies. So if it's sold out, it's sold out. You'll have to resort to eBay unfortunately. Some people out on the web are hoping that Disney could at least do a wide release of the movie version of Scarecrow. That would be great for all those that didn't get the tin. I got my tin so I'm lucky. But I think it's a great production that should be shared with a bigger crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    As a side note Iger apparently doesn't like the WDT line. Just thought that was interesting.
    From reading that article the other day about their profits being down, Iger should take a look at what's really selling. And I hope he does not re-introduce the cash-cows that are the direct-to-DVD sequels. I wonder how hard of a time they're giving Leonard Maltin when he's pitching his ideas for the line. Hopefully Iger can wake up rather than becoming Eisner-the Sequel.

I just checked Amazon. Yowzah! Dr Syn is selling for over $60
    Last edited by Barbossa; 02-05-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added a line

Its interesting to look at this old form of disney entertainment. The thing that frustrates me is that the success disney has today is a result of the company Walt set up. These are the things that worked, and yet they get more and more away from that.

• Infinitized!

I just hope this doesn't kill the WDT line:
    Disney Studio Operating Income Falls 64% | homemediamagazine.com

Specifically for DVDs:
    “Disney had a challenging quarter in what is likely to be the weakest economy in our lifetime,” said Bob Iger, president and CEO, in a call with investors. It was packaged media, however, that appeared to give the executive the most concern.

Iger said the results, which he didn’t attribute solely to the economy, would have a long-term impact on the DVD business and would have the company “examining much of what we do,” including differentiating between the type of DVDs released versus their release schedules. He said Disney is taking numerous steps companywide to reduce costs, with each business segment adjusting to meet its revised needs.

“Our goal is to spend, in total, less on films,” Iger said. “We do believe production and marketing of DVD needs to be addressed.”

Specifically the CEO eyes reducing the number of bonus features included with a DVD and improving the price-to-value relationship. He wants to include standard-DVD and digital copy with the Blu-ray release and market it as a value-add to consumers.

“We’ve been taking a hard look at this business for a while,” Iger said. “The cost of those systems needs to come down.”

The executive said DVD sales in the fourth quarter were directly impacted by the “cataclysmic” events in the economy. He also said consumer options for home entertainment had evolved whereby the average household was in possession of about 80 DVDs, compared to 135-140 DVDs for avid consumers.

“This suggests that going forward, people potentially will be more selective about what they buy,” Iger said.

He said the studio would be mindful of consumer habits and be more careful in the timing and placement of DVD product at the retail level.

When asked whether Disney would release titles through video-on-demand at the same time as DVD, Iger said altering the release window was not a solution. Instead he advocated turning DVD releases into a retail event rather than stocking up on catalog titles earmarked for the dump bin.
    Who knows, maybe the DVD situation will improve, maybe it won't. I heard the recent DVD re-release of Oliver in Company isn't that great - not much different from the last Special Edition release.

If they spend more on marketing, it might be harder to get the WDT tins. I just hope they increase the numbers they put out. The last wave was the lowest.

• Circle of Ancients

IMO, it sounds like he's referring more to "Blu-Ray" than anything else, especially when he says:

“We’ve been taking a hard look at this business for a while,” Iger said. “The cost of those systems needs to come down.”
    To me that sounds like: "We've been spending ALOT of money on promoting the Blu-Ray that hasn't caught on, due in part to the high cost of players".

IMO, I think people will only adapt to a new form of media every 20 or so years. I mean you had the record, then 8-Track (that wasn't OVERLY successful) and Cassette that was. Then came CD which took probably 10 years to FULLY catch on and Casettes still didn't go away fully until what ... the late 90's/early 00's???

Then you have VHS, which was the standard for more than 20 years. Then DVD came along. And it then took another 5 or so years for DVD to get rid of VHS, although ALOT of people still have VHS.

And now they expect us to adapt to ANOTHER format less than a decade later, and probably 5 years from when most people got DVD???

It's just not going to happen, and I think Iger realizes this.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

There is a difference though, backwards compatibility. None of those players (DVD, VHS, etc..) would play the previous formats products. Blu-ray players will play DVDs and upscale them to a better picture while it's playing it. You don't have to replace all your movies with the new format. And, you can buy either blu or standard DVDs to play in it, with the benefit of a much, much better sound quality. Blu is taking off. It may seem that it is slow but it already has a bigger percentage of market share than DVD did after a similar time on the market. The Dark Knight moved over one million copies on blu it's first week alone. They systems are coming down now if the studios ever realize that the software prices need to come down too even more people will pick it up.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast