View Poll Results: Do you think Robert Iger will be a good Disney CEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 23.68%
  • No

14 36.84%
  • I don't know. I will have to wait and see.

15 39.47%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Does Bob Iger have what it takes to become a good Disney CEO?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    I was in the wait and see category, until the
    death of imagineering, Iger can take joint responsibility
    of that with Einer, oops, Eisner." (typo was so funny I
    had to leave it in.)
    I don't see how Iger is responsible for the death of Imagineering since Eisner is the head hancho over at disney. If you are going to blame any one, blame Eisner and some of his board room puppets.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I don't see how Iger is responsible for the death of Imagineering since Eisner is the head hancho over at disney. If you are going to blame any one, blame Eisner and some of his board room puppets.
    Mind you, this is just a rumor (so nobody jump on me for posting this but read this Jim Hill article (more specifically the last paragraph). If this is true, than Iger has given his approval for this. Don't forget that Eisner and Iger are currently sharing CEO responsibilities.

Perhaps the myth of Eisner not liking Iger may be true because I heard a rumor stating that Eisner wanted Iger to be CEO because he believed Iger would screw up and that would make Eisner look good.
    Keyword: rumor. In the 90s, I believe Eisner is quoted as saying that Bob has no creativity, but obviously, opinions on people can easily change over the years. After all, in that same time period Eisner said that about Iger...wasn't Roy basically praising Eisner?

-Micahel
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Mind you, this is just a rumor (so nobody jump on me for posting this but read this Jim Hill article (more specifically the last paragraph). If this is true, than Iger has given his approval for this. Don't forget that Eisner and Iger are currently sharing CEO responsibilities.

Keyword: rumor. In the 90s, I believe Eisner is quoted as saying that Bob has no creativity, but obviously, opinions on people can easily change over the years. After all, in that same time period Eisner said that about Iger...wasn't Roy basically praising Eisner?

-Micahel
    Yes LOL. So true.

Well anyway, I hope the article aint true. I know Iger looks at Disney from a business and financial point of view (which is good in ways) and sometimes those type of people realize that spending a lot of money to create good products may bring them more money back. But it will proably be impossible now to let just any aspiring future Disney CEO, with more of an imaginative point of view than a financial point of view, become the head honcho of the company because they look for people now who have a history of being top executives at other companies or studios, etc. it and if the CEO select would be good for the shareholders. But most the times they overlook the people who pay them, the consumers. I hope that Iger does not turn out like that and that he brings more jobs back to us including in middle of the Hurricane Katrina crisis when people now really need the jobs. I hope one day we can phraise Iger and say that we are happy to buy stuff from Disney and work for them again. I know that day will come again, but just when is the question.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I still believe Iger has what it takes to put Disney back on its feet.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't know ... but I'm willing to give him a chance before I say no.

•   
    • Minion

Well, I am sorry, but I don't think Iger is doing enough to bring "Magic" back to the Disney name... Now having said that, it doesn't mean I don't think he would be a good CEO in general... But I don't think he is the right match for Disney.... The following are my reasons:

1. I think he was a "safe" pick by Eisner and the Board of Directors... Disney governance has really set the standard for "conservatism" in the way they do business... And what I mean by conservatism is that the company is geared to remove as much "risk" at the high levels. However, this has really taken it's toll on the root businesses that comprise of the Disney Company: Feature Animation, WDI-Theme Parks, and even Television/Film Production.

2. Iger is currently rewarded based on modest amount of growth rather than creativity and innovation. Both which are the halmarks of the Disney name.

3. Iger has not inked an agreement with Pixar. Pixar is still on record as saying that it will likely go with a differant distributor.

4. Corporate culture hasn't changed that much... The system under Eisner rewards managment complacency under the "singles and doubles" paradigm... I think those forces are so rooted systemic that if a more flexable aproach is needed, it would no alternative would be available.

5. The narrowing of the window between film release and dvd release hurts the theatre industry. Iger's first "political" mistake. He needs to be carefull when dealing with industries that he has no history in, like film... It will undermind the "marketing muscle" that is Disney...
    Check out my other blog:

• insufferable know-it-all

Risk is a necessary part of investment. You want someone willing to take SOME risks, else he'll just run the business into the ground. It's like letting an accountant run a business - they'll "save" you money right up until the day you close your doors.

Anyone who tells you they can invest without risk is either a) lying or b) getting a rate of return lower than inflation.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree with both Cellar and Goon. Iger looks like a nice CEO but no companies want to ever risk losing money for nothing, even if it possibly means making more. Wasn't Disney asked to make the Harry Potter films before WB (If I am wrong, correct me please)? They are now followers in animation and not leaders. When they look for new CEOs, they look for people who have better money managing credentials rather than imagination. But if Iger turns out to be a some what down to earth guy, then that can be beneficial. But given the fact that he already has a lot of money now, I do not think he will ever be able to completely understand what the people buying Disney products want and may turn out to be like Eisner.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I also think Disney should replace its CEOs every ten years. But then again that may be a bad idea because replacing so many CEOs can also make the company look like it can not make any good decisions.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Wasn't Disney asked to make the Harry Potter films before WB (If I am wrong, correct me please)?
    I believe they were asked first if they wanted to publish the HP Books (the film they were asked to make first was LotR). Either way, they had no idea either story would be as big as they eventually became. Also, there is the fact that Disney would have advertised it differently, thus Harry Potter may never have become Harry Potter. Both the movie and book were huge risks (the movie moreso). If either failed, it could have been very bad for Disney (LotR cost a lot to make). Also, it was not Eisner who made the call (well, at least not in the HP case, I'm not sure about LotR). Read this article.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

On Harry Potter point... god we wish we got a shot at the book. An independent producer tracked JKR down and kept pushing to get the film rights to HP. After much providing he convinced JKR to go with him. He then turned to WB where he already had a longterm relationship. Disney never had a shot at the book - we never passed. Our mistake was not having someone on the ground in London to find the next hot property.

On Lord of the Rings- Miramax had signed a deal to put together the LotR and came up with a plan to do all 3 books into 1 movie. That went to corporate since the budget was way over $150 mil. At the time, the risk was too great to go forward with that size investment. We then allowed Peter Jackson to take his pitch to New Line, in exchange Miramax got a production credit and a part of the revenue.

Do I think that bob has was it takes... I have seen many good things... many rumors that in the first weeks of October there will be some additional announcements...

•   
    • Minion

Sigh, I guess my responce yesterday was erased...

But Yeah, the Weinstiens wanted to bring LOTR to Disney, but the 280 mil price tag seemed a bit steep for Eisner... But for the record, the Weinstiens still got a production credit for the film, though Miramax did not...

In retrospect, it is a foolish move... The three films garnered close to $3 billion in Box Office alone... And one could argue that if the films where made independantly of eachother, the price tag could have doubled...

This is also the reason why Disney JUMPED at Narnia which is seen in literary circles as the best "sequel" to LOTR... Though it isn't the same kind of stories... I can see the first film of Narnia be a hit, but will "a Horse and his Boy" garner the 950 million in box office returns, the "Return of the King" did? I just don't see it.

But this points out what I ment by risk in the film industry... If you do the right thing you are a genious, if you do the wrong thing you are a goat...

Eisner has been the goat plenty of times... Dick Tracy is a good example... (The problem I think was blaimed on Warren Beaty, really... If ever there was a cursed big name actor it is him...)
    Check out my other blog:

• UH..LIKE DUH..

[QUOTE=cellarhound]Well, I am sorry, but I don't think Iger is doing enough to bring "Magic" back to the Disney name... Now having said that, it doesn't mean I don't think he would be a good CEO in general... But I don't think he is the right match for Disney....

As much as we love to love Matt Ouimet, don't forget who had to approve all the $$$ to rehab Disneyland and greenlight the new rides. Bob Iger I suspect. His position would be the one to sign off on it and he most likely did at some point. I think expectations for him are artifically low and he is already doing some big things. Pixar, (if its the right deal for Disney) will take time. Steve Jobs is no wimp. Bob seems to lack the "personal vendetta" approach that Eisner brought into the equation. Read Disney War.He's the best hope we have and it is totally in his own interest to knock our socks off with a great job. The press hasn't been kind to him and I'm sure he would want to show them up.

• Rock Star Minion

I think it will depend on who the CFO is. Eisner's been his own de facto CFO for too long now. That means every idea he gets has to go through the CFO side of his brain.
    I'd like to see a more visionary CEO, tempered by an even-handed CFO.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    As much as we love to love Matt Ouimet, don't forget who had to approve all the $$$ to rehab Disneyland and greenlight the new rides. Bob Iger I suspect.
    Well, I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be the CEO (ie Michael Eisner) that would greenlight the attractions and budget. Wouldn't Ouimet need approval from Rasulo who would then need approval from Eisner?

-Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast