View Poll Results: Do you think Robert Iger will be a good Disney CEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 23.68%
  • No

14 36.84%
  • I don't know. I will have to wait and see.

15 39.47%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Does Bob Iger have what it takes to become a good Disney CEO?

Movie studio posting a loss of 300 mil is problematic... I saw this comming... I am not surprised...

I really would advise the company to remove Mr. Cook... he was on the record of saying that he was comfortable with the "Singles and Doubles" strategy for this summer... and it is not exactly working... Which is a problem...

I really would like to see a new head for the studio, particularly with Iger in the drivers seat as CEO...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

The problem with the "Singles and Doubles" strategy is that it doesn't provide synergistic opportunities at the resorts, which is a main reason for the resorts' existence.

The resorts can feed off triples and homers for a long time, while singles and doubles are at most a seasonal thing that benefits the film/DVD sales more than the resort.

Of course, if the resorts and films are battling over the same DIS investment dollars, one can see how there's not much cooperation going on.

How about Pixar creating films with California themes (once they're back on board)?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Since Iger restarted talks with Pixar, I've heard that Steve Jobs is confident that a new distribution deal with Disney seems most likely- let's hope they get it signed soon! and just with a new deal with Pixar, he would prove that he's a much better CEO than that moron Eisner.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible
    Since Iger restarted talks with Pixar, I've heard that Steve Jobs is confident that a new distribution deal with Disney seems most likely- let's hope they get it signed soon! and just with a new deal with Pixar, he would prove that he's a much better CEO than that moron Eisner.
    I think Eisner still has a plan to ruin that connection between Iger & Jobs. Didn't you notice that when Iger started talks with Jobs, Jobs said that their can be a possibility for Pixar and Disney to team up again only if they get to work on a better Toy Story 3 film? My theory is that Eisner does not want this partnership to happen because Iger would be looking better than Eisner if it actually worked out. So Eisner decided to have Disney keep producing Toy Story 3 by themselves. He would do this hoping that by the time Iger becomes CEO, the movie would damage the negotions between Jobs & Iger and therefore Iger would have a harder time releasing good Disney films and it will make him look bad at the same time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I think Eisner still has a plan to ruin that connection between Iger & Jobs. Didn't you notice that when Iger started talks with Jobs, Jobs said that their can be a possibility for Pixar and Disney to team up again only if they get to work on a better Toy Story 3 film? My theory is that Eisner does not want this partnership to happen because Iger would be looking better than Eisner if it actually worked out. So Eisner decided to have Disney keep producing Toy Story 3 by themselves. He would do this hoping that by the time Iger becomes CEO, the movie would damage the negotions between Jobs & Iger and therefore Iger would have a harder time releasing good Disney films and it will make him look bad at the same time.

Jobs is smart enough to see that from a mile away... I personally think it is one reason why Cars was delayed so long, to make certain that he had time to negotiate with Eisner's successor (who ever it was going to be).

I am not convinced that Jobs will continue Pixar's relationship with Disney yet... I really do think it is still up in the air... I am not certain Toy Story 3 is the only factor either... I think they are going to be looking carefully at Chicken Little... Will this bird fly?

---

Oh, I agree with you Sediment regarding Singles and Doubles in the theme park setting... Not only does the philosophy alow no films for the park to draw on inspirationally... But it is being enacted in the park from a ride generation stand point... (Yes I am thinking of Pooh...)

In film, when you have singles and doubles that turn to flops, it is true you minimise your loss, but you are not maximizing your gain... It does help with cash flow... But there does need to be other types of films in the mix...

Which is why I am very dissapointed in Mr Cook... this is the second summer season he has messed up by just being complacent to Eisner's credo... Last year's Hildago/Alamo travesty, and this year's Herbie fumble beholdens us to that... I think he needs to go...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Thanks for the props, c.h.
    And this really shines a light on what the core mission of the company is vs what it should be.
    Should be: family movies and family vacation destinations, which can be synergized for long-term success.
    Is: TV, radio, movies, publishing, and family vacation destinations, all with short-term profit goals in mind.

Also, why are CM Matt, Rasulo, and previous Resorts heads so enamored with Pixar films? They're blockbusters with the Disney name attached to them that people will remember nearly forever. So they get synergized into the resorts. Should Disney ever make a film again that is a forever-blockbuster, it might get an attraction at DL or DCA.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Thanks for the props, c.h.
    And this really shines a light on what the core mission of the company is vs what it should be.
    Should be: family movies and family vacation destinations, which can be synergized for long-term success.
    Is: TV, radio, movies, publishing, and family vacation destinations, all with short-term profit goals in mind.
    I don't know... ESPN is a vertual monopoly and has a strangle hold on the sports entertainment market... Disney knows that... However, that little segment of the company is one of the elements that is driving the "double digit" growth in profits... And I am not certain it is for the short term either...

But it begs the question, should it be the center of the company? Well, if it is, then it is no longer the Walt Disney Company...

This is where I disagree with making Iger CEO... His mind is more geared toward Capcities/ABC elements of the business, and not on the Walt Disney segment businesses... And my fear is that he will make some simular mistakes that Eisner has made...
    Check out my other blog:

• Disney Memory Maker

Which is why I am very dissapointed in Mr Cook... this is the second summer season he has messed up by just being complacent to Eisner's credo... Last year's Hildago/Alamo travesty, and this year's Herbie fumble beholdens us to that... I think he needs to go...
    But what about The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Lilo & Stitch, Pirates of the Caribbean, Freaky Friday, Princess Diaries (etc,etc,etc). Who is the one Disney guy that Pixar people never forget to thank at award ceremonies? That would be Dick Cook. And Disney's lull may very well end in Novemeber when Chicken Little comes out (and shortly after, the Chronicals of Narnia). It's not his fault if people don't see the movies. I can only think of a few cases where Disney failed to advertise one of their movies (Valiant comes to mind first). Even the big flops were advertised very nicely (like Treasure Planet).

This is where I disagree with making Iger CEO... His mind is more geared toward Capcities/ABC elements of the business, and not on the Walt Disney segment businesses... And my fear is that he will make some simular mistakes that Eisner has made...
    And how do you know that? What action has he taken so far (as President, COO or CEO-elect) that has favored the TV elements over the non-TV elements?

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• e komo mai

I'm thinking we'll have to wait and see about Iger...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    But what about The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc
    Properties that where negotiated pre Cook.

Lilo & Stitch, Pirates of the Caribbean, Freaky Friday, Princess Diaries (etc,etc,etc).
    Home on the Range, Haunted Mansion, Around the World in 80 Days, Hildago, Alamo, Herbie Fully Loaded, Valiant (etc,etc,etc)

Who is the one Disney guy that Pixar people never forget to thank at award ceremonies? That would be Dick Cook.
    Just because you are "easy to work with" does not make you able to plan a slate of summer films...

And Disney's lull may very well end in Novemeber when Chicken Little comes out (and shortly after, the Chronicals of Narnia).
    My money is on Narnia... I think the Chicken will show it's color... Not much has changed with the 3D animation team, I think they are still sapped of talent and abilty to tell a story, and will likely turn to modern music to suplement it's inablity to match Menken up with a creative libretest interested in developing Disney content...

It's not his fault if people don't see the movies.
    AskMike1, that is the single most anti-intelectual thing I have read, emitted from your finger tips, and attached to your login... I completely, utterly, and most unequvitably disagree with this statement...

He carries the responcibilty of film production... If he buys or produces films that people don't want to see, then it is his fault... He is not going to be able to hide behind Eisner's inablity to judge scripts anymore...

I can only think of a few cases where Disney failed to advertise one of their movies (Valiant comes to mind first).
    No, actually Valiant's marketing budget has not been released, but considering that it's production budget was a meger 35 million, and it has earned 49 million world wide, I don't think the margin is there to have much of a marketing budget... And people where critisizing it's ad campaign... trying to fool people that it was either a Pixar or Dreamworks production, by buring the name of the production company in the credits...

Even the big flops were advertised very nicely (like Treasure Planet).
    You are losing your point, because you are now saying that Cook should have pushed the marketing of his recent films harder... Even if their production budgets are meger...

And how do you know that? What action has he taken so far (as President, COO or CEO-elect) that has favored the TV elements over the non-TV elements?
    Sources leading up to his election to CEO, discribe Iger as a man who really wanted his shot at CEO of Capcities/ABC before it was sold to Disney. He also took on the unit "personally" as COO... Created Millionare and ran the show in to the ground... He was also somewhat active in the Fox Family channel purchase... Focus on ESPN as being a driving force in the Double Digit growth?

The trend to turn the Walt Disney Company from a content production company to a content distribution company is there... With the closing on Feature Animation, Television Animation, and even WDI... It is often considered a safer margin to distribute content rather than create it... Thus Disney doesn't have to be creative, but rather harness creativity for it's own profit... (i.e. Pixar, Buckenhiemer, Muppets, Spyglass, etc...)

Pixarification of Disneyland is part of what is at issue at a themepark level... These properties are not really Disney... in fact they are called "Pixar Pals." This of course is just one example of many...
    Check out my other blog:

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    The trend to turn the Walt Disney Company from a content production company to a content distribution company is there... With the closing on Feature Animation, Television Animation, and even WDI... It is often considered a safer margin to distribute content rather than create it... Thus Disney doesn't have to be creative, but rather harness creativity for it's own profit... (i.e. Pixar, Buckenhiemer, Muppets, Spyglass, etc...)

Pixarification of Disneyland is part of what is at issue at a themepark level... These properties are not really Disney... in fact they are called "Pixar Pals." This of course is just one example of many...
    You are correct. There is no denying this sad trend.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Home on the Range, Haunted Mansion, Around the World in 80 Days, Hildago, Alamo, Herbie Fully Loaded, Valiant (etc,etc,etc)
    And with the exception of Valiant, all those were more than adequately advertised. There was no problem here on Cook's part. Advertisements for all of these (again, except valiant) were on TV, the parks, and every other part of the WDC. Did Cook play a part in these films not-so-steller BO totals? No. (BTW, at $182m international total, I wouldn't put HM in this list).

Just because you are "easy to work with" does not make you able to plan a slate of summer films...
    Actually, when the pixar people thanked him at award ceremonies, it was because of the great job he did with the marjeting.

Not much has changed with the 3D animation team
    What do you mean not much has changed? Everything has changed. Before Chicken Little there was no CG animation team. The only other feature CG film Disney has done was Dinosaur (which was only partially CG) and that was an entirely different team (the secret lab).

He carries the responcibilty of film production... If he buys or produces films that people don't want to see, then it is his fault... He is not going to be able to hide behind Eisner's inablity to judge scripts anymore...
    *Note: I really don't know enough about Richard Cook to be able to say that the following paragraph is 100% correct

He does not 'buy films.' He "oversees the development, production, worldwide distribution and marketing for all [Disney films]." He is not the one coming up with the stories. He does not write the script. He does not have the final say on whether or not it is greenlit. He mainly oversees to make sure everything is going okay with the films and he manages the distrabution and marketing for it. The part of that description I have been talking about was the "worldwide distribution and marketing." I do not know enough about him to say how much he is involved in development and production. Perhaps someone who knows more about him can say exactly how much he is involved in those things.

You are losing your point, because you are now saying that Cook should have pushed the marketing of his recent films harder... Even if their production budgets are meger...
    No. I have been saying the whole time that Cook is doing a great job. I have also been saying that a lot of people also think that Cook is doing a good job.

Sources leading up to his election to CEO, discribe Iger as a man who really wanted his shot at CEO of Capcities/ABC before it was sold to Disney.
    It doesn't matter what he wanted, but what he got. Just because you want something and can't get it, doesn't mean you won't be good at something else. You can't shoot him down based on speculation. If you want to shoot him down for something, you have to wait until he does it. And as it stands, he has done absolutely nothing to favor ABC or ESPN (as President, COO or CEO-elect).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Disney Memory Maker

Staying for another few seconds, does anyone else think that the picture of Cook on this page looks a little like Arzt (aka, the guy that got blown up on Lost)?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Did Cook play a part in these films not-so-steller BO totals? No.
    Wait a second here... Marketing has EVERYTHING to do with BO totals... Marketing costs boost not only boost cost of production...

The head of the studio is supposed to be active in production... It is more than just a marketing agent for films... If it is, Mr. Cook certainly isn't doing his job...

(BTW, at $182m international total, I wouldn't put HM in this list).[/QUOTE]

Production and domestic marketing cost equal 135 million alone... You are not factoring in Oversees marketing cost....

What do you mean not much has changed? Everything has changed. Before Chicken Little there was no CG animation team. The only other feature CG film Disney has done was Dinosaur (which was only partially CG) and that was an entirely different team (the secret lab).
    Not really, no... Toy Story 3 is being produced and directed by the guys that did the Three Muscateers? I think not much has changed...

He does not 'buy films.' He "oversees the development, production, worldwide distribution and marketing for all [Disney films]."
    If he "oversees production" he is responcible for the financial success of pictures on the whole.

He is not the one coming up with the stories. He does not write the script. He does not have the final say on whether or not it is greenlit. He mainly oversees to make sure everything is going okay with the films and he manages the distrabution and marketing for it.
    If you are overseeing production and development... You are impacting stories and how they will be in post production... How a film is created is more important than the script itself... Film is not a writers medium...

You can't shoot him down based on speculation. If you want to shoot him down for something, you have to wait until he does it.
    I am not shooting anyone down on speculation... I am just not hopeful that he is the right man for the job... And by all indications, I don't see him restoring the "magic" to the Content Creation busnesses of the Walt Disney Company... The company MUST be more creative than it is...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Igers got a lot on his plate now including the newest report of Disney losing money in the stock market (or something like that. I am not sure what the whole story is).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast