View Poll Results: Do you think Robert Iger will be a good Disney CEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 23.68%
  • No

14 36.84%
  • I don't know. I will have to wait and see.

15 39.47%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Question Does Bob Iger have what it takes to become a good Disney CEO?

I think he has a promising future. I mean this guy was able to convince Roy Disney to join the Disney company and end the savedisney campaign and plus he was able to re-start talks with Pixar. But then again he may have a good first ten years but then turn out like Eisner in the end. Do you guys think he has a promising future running Disney?

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Does Bob Iger have what it takes to become a good Disney CEO?

Yes I do. He has already done some great things like killing the Strategic Planning department and making amends with people (like Jobs, the 2 Disney families, etc). So do I think he has what it takes to be a good CEO? Yes. Will he be? Only time will tell.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• UH..LIKE DUH..

He has what it takes, but will he use it? A man can not lead by Brioni alone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I hope when he becomes a CEO, he gets some good board members as well (since George Mitchell will be leaving in 2006).

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Yes I do. He has already done some great things like killing the Strategic Planning department and making amends with people (like Jobs, the 2 Disney families, etc). So do I think he has what it takes to be a good CEO? Yes. Will he be? Only time will tell.

-Michael
    On the thing with the 2 Disney families, do you mean Roy's family and Diane's family? Cos I dispute that (in a nice way of course, I love challenging askmike1 ).

Well I ain't gonna do Roy in this post, he takes a lot of work to write about. But I think with Diane, if what you mean in your quote 'making amends' is directed at her appearing at Disneyland, I think her appearance on the park's 50th had nothing to do with The Walt Disney Company - and all to do with Disneyland Park, her father's personal creation that is really the biggest physical tie she has left to her father. I think she appeared there because she felt it was her duty - she is the last remaining direct relative of Walt Disney in the world - to acknowledge it has been fifty years since Walt opened the park. You could of course see it in many ways, but that is my way.

But this thread is about Bob Iger.

Iger is Eisner's baby, his Sorcerer's Apprentice. I wouldn't expect dramatic changes to the Company, or a complete revert to the Walt Disney Company circa 1993/4, which is when Eisner lost his touch (probably to do with Frank), or even anything noticeable in up-close-and-personal aspects of the Company, such as the parks or movies. I think most of the changes of his first year will be behind-the-scenes, but I look forward to September 30th 2006 when we can look over everything that has happened at the company directly because of Iger in his first twelve months.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway

Iger is Eisner's baby
    More like Eisner's "Rosemary's Baby". Iger, from what I've read, has had to eat Eisner's
    "you know what" for years and now has a chance to do things his way. i think he cannot stand Eisner.Read Disney War. He is not a risk taker and will hopefully mend fences and make good with Pixar. If he can hire good creatives back and let them do a few things we will be better off.

• Disney Memory Maker

On the thing with the 2 Disney families, do you mean Roy's family and Diane's family? Cos I dispute that (in a nice way of course, I love challenging askmike1 ).

Well I ain't gonna do Roy in this post, he takes a lot of work to write about. But I think with Diane, if what you mean in your quote 'making amends' is directed at her appearing at Disneyland, I think her appearance on the park's 50th had nothing to do with The Walt Disney Company - and all to do with Disneyland Park, her father's personal creation that is really the biggest physical tie she has left to her father. I think she appeared there because she felt it was her duty - she is the last remaining direct relative of Walt Disney in the world - to acknowledge it has been fifty years since Walt opened the park. You could of course see it in many ways, but that is my way.

Iger is Eisner's baby, his Sorcerer's Apprentice. I wouldn't expect dramatic changes to the Company, or a complete revert to the Walt Disney Company circa 1993/4, which is when Eisner lost his touch (probably to do with Frank), or even anything noticeable in up-close-and-personal aspects of the Company, such as the parks or movies. I think most of the changes of his first year will be behind-the-scenes, but I look forward to September 30th 2006 when we can look over everything that has happened at the company directly because of Iger in his first twelve months.
    Yes, those were the 2 Disneys I was talking about. About Roy and Diane, although I don't think either necessarily likes some of the things the WDC does, I don't think they have any hard feelings with Iger or the Company. Just my 2 cents though and I very well could be wrong.

As to Iger, I would like to argue one thing there...I don't know if he will, but I think he wants to make some big changes. For instance, he has already talked about possibly narrowing the span between theatrical release and DVD release (possibly even releasing both the same day). I also think he has a better crew when he comes in, because in the last 5 or so years of Eisner's CEO-ship, key people have left and he has promoted some very good people. For instance Harriss and Pressler have been replaced by Rasulo and Ouimet. The new team at ABC have also been doing very good. And of course Dick Cook is liked by a lot of people.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

There are so many people saying that Iger will be extremely bad as CEO and I am pretty sure they do not know what they are talking about and that they are only saying that because they do not like Eisner. Well I believe that is far from true because I have been researching Walt Disney, Eisner, and the Disney Company for the last ten years as much as I could and truely belive that the company needs a fresh clean perspective and attitude like Igers. I would love to shake his hand if I could.

• Iron-Clad Allie

-Michael
    Even Lucus seems to be warming up to the company more, in consideration of his interest in updating Star Tours in the future - perhaps even changing it's name. Plus, Iger is one of the honchos that joined Matt Ouimet's entourage in looking over the Nemo Subs project (and other projects) shortly before it was gren lighted.

As far as I am concerned, the man has demonstrated that he has what it takes...so far. Let's hope that he continues his positive stride. Matt seems to be making his job easy for him wherre the Disneyland Resort is concerned. It would be great if there was somebody of Matt's caliber at WDW. Great things seem to be underway there anyway. Perhaps Bob will hasten the pace.

• Former Epcot CM

Yes, those were the 2 Disneys I was talking about. About Roy and Diane, although I don't think either necessarily likes some of the things the WDC does, I don't think they have any hard feelings with Iger or the Company. Just my 2 cents though and I very well could be wrong.

As to Iger, I would like to argue one thing there...I don't know if he will, but I think he wants to make some big changes. For instance, he has already talked about possibly narrowing the span between theatrical release and DVD release (possibly even releasing both the same day). I also think he has a better crew when he comes in, because in the last 5 or so years of Eisner's CEO-ship, key people have left and he has promoted some very good people. For instance Harriss and Pressler have been replaced by Rasulo and Ouimet. The new team at ABC have also been doing very good. And of course Dick Cook is liked by a lot of people.

-Michael
    I think that sort of takes away the magic of going to the cinema, the whole experience. I think Iger will also lose money, as most people would buy the DVD and be content with that - why go and pay to see a film you have already bought on DVD?

Rasulo confirmed construction of Walt Disney Studios when he was the boss over at DLRP. Not a very good person. But better than Pressler by far. Harriss wasn't that bad, she did a lot of good for Disneyland - but it takes someone stronger than Harriss to clean up the mess Pressler left, someone like Ouimet. Harriss didn't damage Disneyland, she just left the damage already done there.

I love Dick Cook
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Rasulo confirmed construction of Walt Disney Studios when he was the boss over at DLRP. Not a very good person. But better than Pressler by far. Harriss wasn't that bad, she did a lot of good for Disneyland - but it takes someone stronger than Harriss to clean up the mess Pressler left, someone like Ouimet. Harriss didn't damage Disneyland, she just left the damage already done there.
    With Rasulo, well yes, but he didn't make the budget for it. Also, he is currently doing a lot to improve it (like ToonStudios and ToT). With Harriss, I think she was besically a slave for Pressler. Isn't it strange that she is now at the GAP and guess who her boss is? That's right, Pressler. The trouble with her, was that she spent all her times on Entertainment and Stores, and not enough time with attractions. In some ways that was good (I mean, just look at Remember), but in some ways that was bad (it wasn't until Ouimet that Disneyland got refurbed and the subs got greenlit along with other attractions).

I love Dick Cook
    Hmmm, a little too much information.

I think that sort of takes away the magic of going to the cinema, the whole experience. I think Iger will also lose money, as most people would buy the DVD and be content with that - why go and pay to see a film you have already bought on DVD?
    Getting back to Iger , I agree with you there. Hopefully this is just one of those ideas that will never make it to life.

• Former Epcot CM

With Rasulo, well yes, but he didn't make the budget for it. Also, he is currently doing a lot to improve it (like ToonStudios and ToT). With Harriss, I think she was besically a slave for Pressler. Isn't it strange that she is now at the GAP and guess who her boss is? That's right, Pressler. The trouble with her, was that she spent all her times on Entertainment and Stores, and not enough time with attractions. In some ways that was good (I mean, just look at Remember), but in some ways that was bad (it wasn't until Ouimet that Disneyland got refurbed and the subs got greenlit along with other attractions).
    Do you actually mean Remember, or Believe? Cos I have heard Believe was magnificent, and Remember was after Cynth's time. Cynth did bring back the classic Disneyland logo
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Do you actually mean Remember, or Believe? Cos I have heard Believe was magnificent, and Remember was after Cynth's time. Cynth did bring back the classic Disneyland logo
    I've never seen Believe (I mean, I've never seen Remember either, but I have seen a video of it). I do believe though that Remember was one of the last things Harriss presided over. Perhaps I am wrong, but I'm 85% sure she did.

-Michael

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Perhaps the myth of Eisner not liking Iger may be true because I heard a rumor stating that Eisner wanted Iger to be CEO because he believed Iger would screw up and that would make Eisner look good. Oh silly Eisner, the joke will probably be on him. I hope when Eisner leaves his CEO spot in weeks that he will not have any involvement in Disney after that. And I sure hope he does not replace Mitchell in 2006 as Chairman. That is what really scares me. Because if Eisner is Chairman, he probably won't let Iger be a good CEO.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I was in the wait and see category, until the
    death of imagineering, Iger can take joint responsibility
    of that with Einer, oops, Eisner." (typo was so funny I
    had to leave it in.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast