Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk

• The Darkness to Light

High School Musical Star Plays It Gay

Milk (2008)

Lucas Gabreel has a very small role in the independent film "Milk" (starring Sean Penn as title character Harvy Milk).

Keep in mind that this is an independent film, so chances are your city may not be playing it. If you do live in an area that does play independent films, please ask if they will be showing this.

The film opened in my area this week, but unfortunately won't be playing by the time I'm done with my graduation finals. If someone does see this film or has seen the film, I'm curious as to Gabreel's role and performance in the film. From all the reviews I've read, this is the actor's film with brillent performances all around.
    Last edited by ZeekSlider; 12-08-2008 at 05:50 AM.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: High School Musical Star Plays It Gay

It is opening next week here, surprisingly, in TWO theatres---I think it is because we are such a bastion of conservativism in our state.

I'll give it a gander, I'm sure. Knowing that Lucas is in it, actually, makes me more interested in seeing the film.

Peace?
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• The Darkness to Light

The only theatre in my area that is showing it is in kind of an odd spot.

It's in an area considered the fashion mall since all of the "new money" shop there for the latest apparel and accessories, but it's also where the most conservative people shop.

It doesn't help the fact that the general manager of the theatre is a Morman, which according to all the reviews is the most vocal opposition to the film's big political issues it presents. If the movie is making any kind of traffic at that location, the GM can't possibly be happy about it given the subject matter.

I have to admit as well that Lucas being part of the cast does cause my interest to raise even more than when I initially heard about the film. But, then again, his character in HSM was the token gay teen. They just never admitted it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Good for Lucas. Back when the HSM monster was set into motion I thought "out of all of them Lucas seems the least Disney and indie movie." Good for him. I wanted to see that movie before and now I'm just going to have to hunt it down.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

It's great to see there is life after HSM. "Milk" has been getting excellent buzz. I haven't seen a bad review of it yet. Sean Penn is supposed to be phenomenal.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm not a fan of Sean Penn AT ALL, but I REALLY want to see this. Interesting that Grabeel is in it, it will be interesting to see his performance.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Good for Lucas. Back when the HSM monster was set into motion I thought "out of all of them Lucas seems the least Disney and indie movie." Good for him. I wanted to see that movie before and now I'm just going to have to hunt it down.
    I feel the same way. With the way Disney was toting him around with HSM and Halloweentown, I felt that were treating him as another one of those actors that they can call on at will because he signed his acting contract with them in blood. Not only will his performance in Milk help him "get away" from Disney, but it will actually expand his acting career into more lucrative areas outside of the teen pop scene.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Milk

Brilliant. Best picture Nominee.

Sean Penn= Oscar.

James Franco= Supporting Nomination.

See it.

I am still at a loss for words, 2 hours later.

Last edited by PanTheMan; 12-09-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Milk

Looking forward to seeing this picture on Saturday.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

I also can't wait to see it. Sean Penn is a wonderful actor.

• Circle of Ancients

I think I said this in another thread, but despite the fact that I loathe Sean Penn, I REALLY want to see this movie. We have no kids this weekend and if Belle is up to it, I'd like to see this AND Frost/Nixon this weekend.

Although, that may be too much drama.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

SC- you can't even see Sean Penn in there. He becomes Harvey Milk.

It is so odd that i remember that time so well. I was only in the 7th grade, but between the assassanations and Jonestown, the bay area was ground zero.

Also, my 7th grade teacher was a good family friend of Dan White and even worked on his on his campaign. I remember her being quite upset that day and leaving early, so we had Sister Margaret as our substitute. (always an unpleasant event) Sadly she was more upset for White, than what he had done.

I also remember the rest of the year there was a lot of odd little spats and tension between my teacher and Father Harry (who, looking back, i now know was a raging queen) In Later years i understood, and it much of it made sense.
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 12-10-2008 at 02:27 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Disgruntled Former CM

Thumbs up Re: Milk

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Also, my 7th grade teacher was a good family friend of Dan White and even worked on his on his campaign. I remember her being quite upset that day and leaving early, so we had Sister Margaret as our substitute. (always an unpleasant event) Sadly she was more upset for White, than what he had done.
    Well, perhaps Sister Margaret felt that Dan White was simply doing "the Lord's work"; I don't know.

I saw the movie - and was blown away. The movie literally drops you into the time period - as though you are in the late 70's in San Francisco - and gives you a feeling for the time and temperment of those years (in the same way that 'The Changeling' gives you an immersive experience of being in the late 20's in Los Angeles...); the use of achival footage is also used beautifully and seamlessly. Sean Penn's performance is remarkable, as are ALL of the performances - but Sean Penn's personae of Harvey Milk is transcendent; Sean falls away completely, and you are left with the utter essence of Harvey. Brilliant. No charicature, no imitation; just a sheer, translucent, brilliant performance. Harvey Milk is not held up to be a either a messiah or a martyr, but is shown as the caring, deeply flawed, human person that he was.

To any of us who lived through this period (I was still living in Orange County - where Bill Dannemeyer and Bob Dornan were expousing the Anita Bryant rhetoric, so "it" was In The News daily...), this brings all those feelings (and the horror of the assassinations...) flooding back; NO ONE who saw it can ever forget Dianne Feinstein at the front door of City Hall explaining what had just happened inside... To those of us who were not around during this time, it is a 2-hour history lesson presented beautifully.

Also, it was surprising (coming on the heals of Proposition 8) how germane, timely, and relevant this movie is to today's headlines; Prop 6 of 1978 was what Prop 8 is the the Gay Rights movement of today - a galvanizing force. [this on today 12-10-08, when we are observing "A Day without a Gay"]
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 12-10-2008 at 02:35 PM.
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Queen of Randomness

I just read a book "Gay America" and it covers several events during the time. I would really like to see this movie it give me a visual taste of those times since I hadn't even been born yet. I have read a little about him and I have a great deal of interest in seeing this movie. Glad to hear that it's good.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• The Darkness to Light

Good news for me! The theatre that is showing Milk just posted their schedule for the next week, and the only new movie they got was "The Day The Earth Stood Still." This means they still have several screens open to show other films, and Milk is one of them.

I'm planning on seeing it after my thesis defense on Friday some time in the afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast