Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Exclamation Song of the South in '06

Jim Hill just posted a new article stating that one of his inside sources at Buena Vista Home Video has informed him of the release of Song of the South...

From the sound of it, everything that we talked about in this thread http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=941 is being implemented. No word on whether the DVD will be marketed toward children. '06 marks the 60th anniversary of the film, and Disney is counting on that, as well as the Disneyphiles to boost sales of the DVD.

Disney is planning on making a documentary with current clips of Disney shows and movies with Black characters and actors to show how much the company has changed since the original release of Song of the South. They are also planning on having a well-known Black actor to introduce the film and perhaps give a bit of background information and context for the film. Bill Cosby was the man of choice, but after his recent accusations of inappropiate behavior, Disney may decide to go with someone different.

SOTS on DVD

What are your thoughts?

• Banned User

They should get Chris Rock to introduce it.

• keep moving forward...

wooohooo finally... the one disney film i havent seen yet is finally being released. ive always wanted to see this movie and now i finally can this is great... finally walt disneys most honored film is being released... so many people in my generation are completely oblivious to where the song zip-a-dee-doo-da came from and now we finally get to hear the entire song and the film it was created for... in dolby digital!

• It's all nonsense

I don't believe anything Jim Hill says. He's a wannabe. If this were true wouldn't sites like miceage, mouseplanet and savedisney be covering this as well?

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    You know, the Cos was cleared of all those charges. They should go back to using him for it. Especially since Ossie Davis recently passed away, and he was very much a political activist for African-Americans.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Minion

If its true, this wonderful film should be marketed in a "special edition" to everyone who will listen, of all ages, not treated as a limited-audience collectible. They will make a fortune (again).

And in addition to their new historical context materials, it should include the Disney TV hour "A Tribute to Joel Chandler Harris," the trailers, "John Henry" short and whatever other wonderful lost footage or promos exist in the vaults.

• Minion

If they market this film to families or children, I really believe it will the stupidest mistake in the history of Disney Animation (except for stopping traditional animation of course). I also think it's incredibly idiotic to think that having a prominent Black actor introduce the film will "ease" the racial issues presented in the film. Because you know, "If Bill Cosby says it's ok, then I'll buy it!"

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Because you know, "If Bill Cosby says it's ok, then I'll buy it!"
    ~looks up from eating a pudding pop and jell-o~

Hey leave Bill out of this!

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

I hope the rumor is true but just in case, I have my pirated copy.

What they need isn't Bill Cosby to say it's okay, but a really in-depth look/debate over the issues the film raises. Get people thinking instead of reacting.

• Minion

The DVD is said to be HEAVY on special features about the South and what really went on with share croppers and whatnot. It will be a disney-fied version of the truth though, as I doubt they will show any pictures of disturbing incidents, or talk about how basically nothing changed after the Civil War...

Honestly, I don't think the movie is as good as everyone remembers. The animation segments are great, but the story itself is boring and un-interesting. People are so enamored by this movie for two reasons: 1) It has been forbidden by Disney. 2) Most Disneyphiles are nostalgic for it. We all know how nostalgia distorts the truth.

• Happy Memories

Honestly, I don't think the movie is as good as everyone remembers. The animation segments are great, but the story itself is boring and un-interesting. People are so enamored by this movie for two reasons: 1) It has been forbidden by Disney. 2) Most Disneyphiles are nostalgic for it. We all know how nostalgia distorts the truth.
    I've seen similar comments posted a few other places. i agree that much of the reason people want it released so badly is that it has not been available. Honestly, i think most people are just plain curious because they either haven't seen it since childhood and have a distorted, nostalgic view of the film, or they've never seen it and just want to know what all the fuss is about.

Personally, I've seen one of the copies that floats about and i do enjoy it as a piece of film history. Once i finally saw it i thought all the criticism was completely blown out of proportion. I think it's a good idea to just get it out there and eventually it won't be such a big deal. it should be packaged and marketed as a collectable piece of history. I like the idea of some of the extras. And i agree that they need to actually address the controversy and help people to think about and understand why it's seen the way it is by different groups of people. I think even the harshest critics would have to respect that.

• I Hug My Tapirs

If this is true, I will be very happy! However, even if it is the plan right now, a lot can change between now and then. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Well, I've seen it pretty regularly, and I still think it's a great movie. Cheesy in some of the live-actions parts, yes, but that's part of what makes it fun.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

>>If they market this film to families or children, I really believe it will the stupidest mistake in the history of Disney Animation (except for stopping traditional animation of course).<<

As recently as 1986 they did a very successful broad audience reissue and no one batted an eye.

>>Honestly, I don't think the movie is as good as everyone remembers. The animation segments are great, but the story itself is boring and un-interesting. People are so enamored by this movie for two reasons: 1) It has been forbidden by Disney. 2) Most Disneyphiles are nostalgic for it. We all know how nostalgia distorts the truth.<<

Ridiculous. I watch it all the time and it holds up as one of my very favorite Disney films. I can't be hazily nostalgic for it because its never been restricted in my household (I've had the Japanese laser disc since the early 90's). I know I'm not alone.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Ridiculous. I watch it all the time and it holds up as one of my very favorite Disney films. I can't be hazily nostalgic for it because its never been restricted in my household (I've had the Japanese laser disc since the early 90's). I know I'm not alone.
    You CERTAINLY don't represent the majority. In most Disney forums, people are saying that the film is not as good as everyone remembers it to be. Even the people at Buena Vista Home Video have expressed concerns...

• They wanna know, HO!

I'm interested to see this movie, and I won't pass judgement until I see it. I think Disney won't release it as a normal release, I think we'll see the high-class launch of it much like the Vault Disney series, etc.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast