• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Persistent Rumors About Steve Jobs' Health

Keeping in mind that people generally tend to overreact, what do you all think about the fact that Steve Jobs is missing Mac World Expo this year? It has been confirmed that up until recently he was slated to give the key note address, (Leo Laporte had an invitation which stated to arrive at 7:30 for the address by Steve Jobs) and suddenly an announcement was made that he would not be attending. Given the fact that he is recovering from a bout with Pancreatic Cancer and the fact that he had lost quite a bit of weight as seen during his last press conference appearance, do you think there is anything to the rumor listed below?

And secondly, does this mean anything to the Disney Board, should he step down? Will someone take his spot?

It's just really hard to believe that, considering his bout with pancreatic cancer, that his sudden departure from Mac World Expo isn't related to his health.

http://gizmodo.com/5120687/steve-job...d-cancellation

Steve Jobs' Health Declining Rapidly, Reason for Macworld Cancellation
    By Jesus Diaz, 12:15 PM on Tue Dec 30 2008, 224,398 views

According to a previously reliable source, Apple misrepresented the reasons behind Macworld and Jobs' keynote cancellation. Allegedly, the real cause is his rapidly declining health. In fact, it may be even worse than we imagined:

Steves health is rapidly declining. Apple is choosing to remove the hype factor strategically vs letting the hype destroy apple when the inevitable news comes later this spring.

and...

Apple shares drop on blog rumor about Jobs’ health | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Apple shares drop on blog rumor about Jobs’ health
    Posted by Sam Diaz @ 2:22 pm, December 30, 2008

Shares of Apple took a quick nosedive today but mostly recovered after a blog posted a rumor that the real reason for Apple’s pull-out from MacWorld was related to the declining health of Steve Jobs.

Rumors. Rumors. Rumors. That’s all Gizmodo had to report this morning, citing a “previously reliable source.” But that wasn’t enough. Let’s really fuel the fire by adding that “it may be even worse than we imagined.” Apple has said all along that it’s reasons for pulling out of Macworld were partly because there are new, better ways of showcasing products than trade shows.

The company has consistently said that the health of Jobs, who is considered to be the face of Apple, is a private matter. I don’t necessarily agree 100 percent with that. Investors have a right to know if the company’s chief executive is ill and no longer able to perform his duties. But I haven’t seen any evidence that points to such a conclusion.

Re: Persistent Rumors About Steve Jobs' Health

Because of Mad Daddy's concern for his health , Steve has decided to release information regarding his health:

Apple's Jobs Says He Has Hormone Imbalance

By MIKE BARRIS

Apple Inc. founder Steve Jobs, moving to quell speculation about his health, said he is undergoing treatment for a "hormone imbalance," but intends to continue as the company's top executive.

Mr. Jobs's mysterious weight loss caused consternation on Wall Street throughout 2008, heightened by his unexpected decision last month to pull out of the high-profile Macworld trade show.

With the show under way this week, he said Monday that his hormone imbalance has been "robbing" him of the proteins needed for good health.

"Sophisticated blood tests have confirmed this diagnosis," Mr. Jobs wrote in a letter released to the public. "The remedy for this nutritional problem is relatively simple and straightforward, and I've already begun treatment.

"But, just like I didn't lose this much weight and body mass in a week or a month," he said, "my doctors expect it will take me until late this Spring to regain it."

Mr. Jobs, who will continue as CEO during his recovery, added he would be the first one to tell the company's board if he were no longer able to perform his duties.
    more at the link: Apple's Jobs Says He Has Hormone Imbalance - WSJ.com
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

The Macworld thing isn't sudden. Apple has been pulling back out of that show for years now (which lead to the demise of MW East). Apple has been putting all their focus on WWDC, so to have Jobs not give a keynote at MacWorld is not shocking at all.

The drama of the Job's keynote is a manufactured thing. Something the 'media' that follows Apple has become addicted to. Apple will simply market their product launches in other ways in the future.

As for the board of Disney - don't overstate how involved Board members are with daily functions of the company. You could be an on ventilator and sit on a company board. Plenty of old, frail people are on Board of Directors for companies all over.

Losing Jobs wouldn't even be a blip to Disney.. it would hurt Apple more because he's been the sharp knife that has been keeping Apple focused on his visions since he returned (right or wrong). The problem with Apple before he returned was it was too spread out and disorganized in vision.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Because of Mad Daddy's concern for his health , Steve has decided to release information regarding his health:
    Figures he would post an update the day after I ask the question. I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt, but when you see that kind of weight loss, you really had to wonder. His explanation sounds completely plausible...just have to wonder why he didn't step up before the stock price slid on the rumors. At least it's back up today...

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    The Macworld thing isn't sudden. Apple has been pulling back out of that show for years now (which lead to the demise of MW East). Apple has been putting all their focus on WWDC, so to have Jobs not give a keynote at MacWorld is not shocking at all.

The drama of the Job's keynote is a manufactured thing. Something the 'media' that follows Apple has become addicted to. Apple will simply market their product launches in other ways in the future.
    I think the concern came from the fact that the invitations had been sent out with Steve's name down as the Keynote. To me, that indicates that Steve pulled out relatively recently. But I'll agree that Apple has been planning to pull out of Macworld. They won't be there at all next year, which seems weird to me, but maybe they feel like they are over doing the product push each year.

And I was just interested in the Disney Board question because I had to wonder if there would be any reprecussions if suddenly he was gone. Some reports came out saying that it might be a matter of weeks. Isn't Steve the largest shareholder?

But I guess all of that is moot if there is a legitimate reason for him to have dropped all that weight. Hopefully he'll be around for many, many more years.

• Pilot EdForceOne

he's one of the largest individual shareholders (if not the.. I don't feel like looking it up) but he'd still have great power in that regards even if not on the board.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Posted: Wed., Jan. 14, 2009, 2:23pm PT

Steve Jobs takes leave of absence

Apple CEO cites health-related issues as cause

Wall Street has been fretting about the health of
    Apple topper Steve Jobs. The announcement that
    he's taking a leave of absence won't quell worries.

By Diane Garrett
    Variety

Maybe we were right to be worried.

On Wednesday, Apple topper Steve Jobs took a six-month leave of absence from day-to-day operations to deal with health issues.

The leave, which comes nine days after he assured Wall Street that his doctors had gotten to the root of his medical problems, confirms at the very least that his condition is more complex than previously disclosed.

The concern on Wall Street is that it is also considerably more serious. In 2004 Jobs was diagnosed with and treated for pancreatic cancer.
    Apple's stock has been hammered the past few months due to concerns about the CEO, who has appeared increasingly gaunt in recent months.

Sure enough, news of Jobs' absence after the market closed sent shares tumbling; after-hours trading was halted for a while. Shares, which closed at $85.33, were down 6% a few hours after the news broke.

Jobs, 53, a tech visionary who also co-founded Pixar, is considered one of Apple's biggest assets, making his health more of a concern than a chief exec's otherwise might be. Although the company survived without Jobs before, he has presided over a series of successful product launches since his 1997 return, including those of the iPod and iPhone.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1009&cs=1