• Earth Intruder

Stupid Disney Bluray BD-Live

So after hours of logging in on my bluray player for Sleeping Beauty (literally).... had to log in on my player, only for the server to not connect properly, to go past 70+ pages of a EULA, twice, to have to log in via the computer, to re-register, twice, to download for a half-hour extra "updates" to the BD-live process, to have to verify my age by...

I kid you not... enter my driver's license number, state, and the last four digits of my SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.....

it finally logged me in. My screen name? JLevy77. This was a couple months ago.

Yesterday, I get this email from them:

Quote Originally Posted by idiots from Disney
    BD-Live Network!

You are receiving this e-mail because the Disney BD-Live Network Screen Name you
    tried to register did not meet our safety and decency guidelines. Within the
    Disney BD-Live Network, we strive to create the safest community possible for
    both adults and children. Some of the guidelines include:

- You cannot display personal information. This includes your real name or
    address.
    - You cannot use profanity or offensive language
    - You cannot use any specific product names, copyrighted phrases, or content.

To change your Disney BD-Live Network Screen Name, please complete the following
    steps:
    1. Log on to the Disney BD-Live Network from your Blu-ray player
    2. Navigate to "My Manager", and then select "Profile"
    3. From there, you can choose "Account" and select your Screen Name. This will
    open up an interface where you can type in your new Disney BD-Live NetworkScreen
    Name.

Thanks,

The Disney BD-Live Network Team
    Ummm excuse me?!?! Jeez my last name is like.... sooooo unique, everyone is gonna know who I am now.

Give me a fracking break Disney and remove your heads from your butts for a change. This BD-Live thing is not worth the hassle, just to get ads and play trivia games with anonymous people.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 01-04-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Re: Stupid Disney Bluray BD-Live

The BD live feature is also to track which discs you watch and how frequently, another reason I don't care much for the format.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I got a BluRay player for xmas... so I'll have the opportunity to check some out.. once some discs become cheaper for me to actually pay for them

the slow load times are annoying slow even on DVDs. I've heard 2-3 minutes on the POTC bluray disc :o
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I got a BluRay player for xmas... so I'll have the opportunity to check some out.. once some discs become cheaper for me to actually pay for them

the slow load times are annoying slow even on DVDs. I've heard 2-3 minutes on the POTC bluray disc :o
    That's the problem with these new cheap Blu-ray players... it's an incredibly complex format (remember, these movies are often encoded at rates 40MB per FRAME... the bandwidth is INSANE) so it's amazing these cheap players even playback the movies at all. You can't expect the machine to be snappy working off new korean decoder chips rather then the beefy microprocessors powering the Playstation 3 or high-end Sony units.

I think the picture quality makes even the cheap players worth it, just remember you get what you pay for with electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    So after hours of logging in on my bluray player for Sleeping Beauty (literally).... had to log in on my player, only for the server to not connect properly, to go past 70+ pages of a EULA, twice, to have to log in via the computer, to re-register, twice, to download for a half-hour extra "updates" to the BD-live process, to have to verify my age by...

I kid you not... enter my driver's license number, state, and the last four digits of my SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.....

it finally logged me in. My screen name? JLevy77. This was a couple months ago.

Yesterday, I get this email from them:

Ummm excuse me?!?! Jeez my last name is like.... sooooo unique, everyone is gonna know who I am now.

Give me a fracking break Disney and remove your heads from your butts for a change. This BD-Live thing is not worth the hassle, just to get ads and play trivia games with anonymous people.
    If it makes you feel any better, my name got rejected too! They're *very* specific with their terms it seems.

As for BD-Live, it seems Disney is still working out the kinks, but I've tried the real-time movie chat... and it works GREAT (and is really fun!!) You should try it out with me sometime...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    That's the problem with these new cheap Blu-ray players... it's an incredibly complex format (remember, these movies are often encoded at rates 40MB per FRAME... the bandwidth is INSANE) so it's amazing these cheap players even playback the movies at all. You can't expect the machine to be snappy working off new korean decoder chips rather then the beefy microprocessors powering the Playstation 3 or high-end Sony units.
    My player IS a mid-range Sony.

Even the high-end sony has slow load times.

We also tested disc-loading speed and the BDP-S550 had average performance. Mission Impossible: III loaded in 25 seconds with the player on, and in 34 seconds with the player off, which is a little bit slower than the DMP-BD55. Movies with BD-Java menus took considerably longer, with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest loading in one minute and 50 seconds, and Spiderman 3 loading in 1 minute and 40 seconds
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

My name got rejected, too. But I was never asked to enter DL or SS #s. However on the Wall-E BD live it tells me it is not available in my area. Never had a problem with load speed on either my PS3 or Panny BD-35
    Mike

• Still lost in Neverland

I want to thank everyone who answered this question you have just made up my mind for me. I have no reason now to run out and get one of these Blu Ray players if you have to wait that long just to watch the disc. I could care less about watching a movie and texting stuff back and forth. That just distracts from the movie. But taking a minute or more just to load the disc is really slow. Too slow.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I want to thank everyone who answered this question you have just made up my mind for me. I have no reason now to run out and get one of these Blu Ray players if you have to wait that long just to watch the disc. I could care less about watching a movie and texting stuff back and forth. That just distracts from the movie. But taking a minute or more just to load the disc is really slow. Too slow.
    Find a refurbished PS3... I have two of them 'cause I got one for $185. The PS3 is still (by far) the fastest Blu-ray player. And it's lightning fast... pretty much instant chapter forwards and searches... and the tech loads at least 8 times faster then the standalones.

• Still lost in Neverland

So were does one find a refurbished PS3 that can be trusted? I am not familiar with gaming stuff at all.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

I thought I was the only one having trouble..i did everything and still nothing..I just give up and moved on. it just wasted my time and energy for nothing.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    You can't expect the machine to be snappy working off new korean decoder chips rather then the beefy microprocessors powering the Playstation 3 or high-end Sony units.
    Are you referring specifically to South Korean brands, like Samsung and LG? Or was that a jab at cheaper brands in general? A lot of the low end audio-video equipment sold in the U.S. is from Japanese brands. I think you'll find South Korea is actually one of the leaders in current technology. The Dell and Apple displays that so many people rave about are just rebranded Samsung screens.

Samsung's BD-P2500 Blu- Ray player has received great reviews. PC World judged its picture quality to be better than the PS3's.

By the way...

Japan: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Sanyo, Sylvania (Funai), Mitsubishi
    South Korea: Samsung, LG, Sherwood (Haitai)
    USA: Vizio, Olevia (uses LG screens)
    Netherlands: Philips Magnavox