• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Boy badly hurt in 2000 Disneyland accident dies - Orange County Register, 1/26/09

Boy hurt in 2000 Disneyland accident dies | changes, disneyland, orange, suffered, zucker - News - OCRegister.com

Brandon Zucker, an Anaheim boy who suffered brain damage after being trapped under the car of a Disneyland park ride in Sept. 2000, which was followed by several changes to the theme park, died early this morning.

At the age of four, the young boy was badly injured when he fell from Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride and was dragged about 10 feet, trapped underneath another car. He suffered serious internal injuries including a torn diaphragm, liver and spleen. When the 4-year-old's body was crushed by the ride, he went into cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage. He was unable to walk or talk after the accident and was in a drug-induced coma for more than a month injuries that affected him for the remainder of his life.
    More at the link, including an interesting diagram.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Boy badly hurt in 2000 Disneyland accident dies - Orange County Register, 1/26/09

I started tearing up reading the story. It is so incredibly sad.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Boy badly hurt in 2000 Disneyland accident dies - Orange County Register, 1/26/09

At least some positive changes happened at Disneyland that will hopefully prevent another tragic accident from happening.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

How terribly sad. I'm glad that DL made changes that cause a safer environment now, but, it's really tragic that Brandon Zucker had to lose his life. (And, in my estimation, his life ended the day of the accident.)

• Haunted Mansion Lover

It is a terrible tragedy and I'm glad that Disneyland recognized their fault and made the necessary safety improvements. I know that now kids are not allowed to sit near the entrance to the cars on any dark ride and the CM's do a great job of enforcing this rule.
    Foolish Mortal

The headline at Foxnews.com made me think there was an accident recently. Read the story and got the answer though.
    FOXNews.com - Boy Dies After Disneyland Ride Accident - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So sad...

Brandon Zucker dies at 13; injury at Disneyland brought focus to amusement park safety

Brandon Zucker dies at 13; injury at Disneyland brought focus to amusement park safety - Los Angeles Times

Mark

• Haunted Mansion Lover

The sad thing is that there is not enough money to ease their suffering. Even though they received a settlement I'm sure that it did nothing to help their loss or their faith in Disneyland's safety.
    Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    The sad thing is that there is not enough money to ease their suffering. Even though they received a settlement I'm sure that it did nothing to help their loss or their faith in Disneyland's safety.
    Although the story here doesn't mention it, there was speculation at the time that Zucker was reaching for a toy that had fallen from of the ride vehicle before he tumbled out. I don't recall if that theory was ever conclusively debunked, but it certainly puts a different spin (no pun intended) on Disney's culpability.

While the changes to the Car Toon Spin are positive and probably necessary, the Zucker incident sent the Disney lawyers into hypermode. Who can forget the yellow safety tape debacle from a couple of years ago? Or the expensive E-ticket safety gate upgrades of the last decade? Or the shuttering of anything remotely "dangerous" on Tom Sawyer Island?

Not to take anything away from the suffering of the Zucker family, but Disneyland was a victim of this tragedy, too.
    Ethically reprehensible, yet fiscally sound.

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Dick View Post
    Although the story here doesn't mention it, there was speculation at the time that Zucker was reaching for a toy that had fallen from of the ride vehicle before he tumbled out. I don't recall if that theory was ever conclusively debunked, but it certainly puts a different spin (no pun intended) on Disney's culpability.

While the changes to the Car Toon Spin are positive and probably necessary, the Zucker incident sent the Disney lawyers into hypermode. Who can forget the yellow safety tape debacle from a couple of years ago? Or the expensive E-ticket safety gate upgrades of the last decade? Or the shuttering of anything remotely "dangerous" on Tom Sawyer Island?

Not to take anything away from the suffering of the Zucker family, but Disneyland was a victim of this tragedy, too.
    I was just thinking that -- when the incident happened, I recall that the insistence of the family to allow the kid to sit on the outside played into the accident. (Contrary to the original seating arrangement, which always put the adult on the door side.) As the years go on, details like that goes to the wayside.

It is very sad to hear about this boy's passing, though.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Dick View Post

My friend and I were talking about that yesterday. We both agreed that the parents played a role in this accident and wondered why the kid was sitting on the outside in the first place. I know that as a parent when my daughter was 4 and we took her to Disneyland her safety was always on my mind!
    Foolish Mortal

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The suffering that that 4 year old boy went through for the rest of his life makes this statement:

Disneyland was a victim of this tragedy, too
    look trite and heartless.